Natural Birth

Membrane stripping - opinions? Serious cons?

Last week I was 3cm, 50% effaced , and very soft. I refused the membrane strip. 

I'm debating about it for today's appointment. I'm not overdue yet. I'm feeling fine. I really enjoy having my little girl inside. But my in laws just flew in for 2 weeks to help us with DD. if I go too far overdue, we won't have their help. 

Are there any serious cons to membrane stripping? Opinions on it? I know it isn't clinically proven to help induce labor.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Membrane stripping - opinions? Serious cons?

• I had my membrane's stripped when I was about as far along as you with my daughter. I was ready to be done with it all and was in a considerable amount of pain daily dealing with SPD (pubic bone problem). I went into labour 3 days later. I'm not sure if it helped or not but I felt like I was doing something to try to get things going. I couldn't do some of the traditional get labour started things because of the SPD so it seemed like a good choice. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Being that as soon as my son was born he was taken to the NICU with respiratory failure, primary diagnosis: pneumonia, secondary diagnosis: PPHN. My OB tried to stretch my cervix, and twenty four hours later, my water broke. So even though infection may or may not have happened due to various things, I think the second time around, I don't want any "optional" things done.
  • Loading the player...
  • I only did it when I was past my due date. After that...game on!
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • As PP said, the biggest risk is rupture of membranes, which would mean a string of interventions to make sure your baby was delivered within 24 hours (hospital policy). I would only agree to it if it were a choice between that and a medical induction; I would not do it for my own convenience.
  • Yup, the biggest risk is if your water gets ruptured.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I declined at my 40 week appt (at 40 weeks exactly), and he came on his own that night.  My reason for declining was fear of membrane rupture and infection.  I was also GBS+.  I would consider it more at 41 weeks, but not right at (or at all before) 40.  GL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • the baby is not going to come unless he/she is ready...I had my membranes stripped last week (although the dr did it without asking) and some cramps that day but then nothing...still preggo
    May you always have in your arms the one who is in your heart.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

pregnancybr>

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I had my membranes swept with my first baby at 39+6.
    The only reason I agreed to it, was because my OB had said that she wanted to induce me soon because of my high-ish blood pressure.
    I wanted to avoid induction so opted for the sweep & baby was born the next morning. :)
  • Thanks all. I decided to wait until next week. I scheduled acupuncture on my due date though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"