March 2011 Moms
Options

Biting

My 16 month old just started biting this week when he gets angry.  When we try to discipline him he thinks its funny.  Any suggestions?

Re: Biting

• Options
    My first was not a biter, my second bites anything (people, stroller bumpers,bricks). I try focussing on remembering his vitamins.  This sounds corny I know but it helps. As for discipline baby likes reaction, he knows sad and happy that is it....try crying. GL
  • Options

My son has been a biter on and off since he started getting teeth.   He tends to bite me in the grocery store.   I don't know if he wants attention or wants the food he sees.  (He always does it when we walk thru the fruits and veggies.)

I have been trying to just tell him "Biting is not nice"  or "oww oww"....or looking sad like some one else mentioned.   It will stop him in the moment, but he does usually try it again.  So I guess we just have to be patient and consistent.

Sorry if I was not much help, but you are not alone. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Our Fur-babies: Oliver, Leela, & Neville Our Puppies
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I immediately tell DD "Biting hurts, ouch!".  Usually I am at eye level, and holding her arms (stern, but not too tightly of course).   If you make too big of a deal of it (over-reacting, yelling, putting on a show) it may cause them to want to do it again to see the reaction again. 

As PP said, patience and consistence are key.  Hopefully it's just a phase and will ease up soon.

(DD also thinks it's hilarious when I try to discipline her most days as well)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"