Baby Names
Options

Tadhg

I really like this name...alot. I like the sound and the meaning, which is "Poet" (and I personally think it goes okay with Liam, my DS name).
I have considered other spellings. Mainly Teige and Tighe. Would either of these spellings work better or would it still be mispronounced?

I am not as fond of Teague (too close to Teagan)

I have a nice list of names for boys (which I have posted). However, I am having a hard time ignoring this one. I know spelling and pronunciation would be difficult, but the name itself has risen a bit this year, which could help.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Tadhg

• Options

ummm.....Confused

ETA: I get it now, I thought you were saying the name sounded like poet and I was so confused on how you came up with that pronounciation! I like the name just not the spelling.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage

Natural M/C at 7 weeks 9.17.08 Natural M/C at 7 weeks 2.1.13

• Options
    I would absolutely butcher this name, and pronounce it Tad-hag, which I know is incorrect. The meaning is great, I just can't get past the spelling. 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member

As nice as it might sound, I think you would be setting your kid up for a lifetime of difficulty with it.

I've seen this name posted here before and I'm still confused about the pronunciation. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imagesalt78:

As nice as it might sound, I think you would be setting your kid up for a lifetime of difficulty with it.

I've seen this name posted here before and I'm still confused about the pronunciation. 

You can find the pronunciation here:

https://www.babynamesofireland.com/irish-boy-names/irish-boy-names-o-z

• Options

If my brother's name was Liam and I was saddled with Tadhg, I'd be pissed at my parents.  The meaning is lovely, but its not very pronounceable in the US, and frankly when I hear a horrible name or see a horrible spelling of a name my mind doesn't jump to "Oh, but I bet it has a wonderful meaning", I think "What an awful name, that's too bad"

Would you consider using it as a middle name instead? If you like Gaelic names how about Seamus?  Seamus Tadhg gets a thumbs up from me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    image526SadieSadie:

If my brother's name was Liam and I was saddled with Tadhg, I'd be pissed at my parents.  The meaning is lovely, but its not very pronounceable in the US, and frankly when I hear a horrible name or see a horrible spelling of a name my mind doesn't jump to "Oh, but I bet it has a wonderful meaning", I think "What an awful name, that's too bad"

Would you consider using it as a middle name instead? If you like Gaelic names how about Seamus?  Seamus Tadhg gets a thumbs up from me.

MN would be family names.

It's quite easy to pronounce. The difficulty is within how different letters create different sounds in other languages. Once one hears the name it's not that difficult to pronounce. It's similar to why some people don't choose certain names based on regional accent. I don't feel that difficulty in pronunciation is the end of the world. I see plenty of new and legitimate names all the time. If I don't know the pronunciation I simply ask. I don't side eye it at all.

Seamus just isn't my style. It does have a similar issue when it comes to pronunciation though. It's just more popular and therefore people know (for the most part) how to pronounce it.

• Options
    I think you'll have more success with the pronunciation if you spell it Tighe. I like this name.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageZimger:

I have considered other spellings. Mainly Teige and Tighe. Would either of these spellings work better or would it still be mispronounced?

I think the Teige spelling might help with pronunciation, but Teague is much clearer. If you are considering altering the spelling in order to accommodate American pronunciation difficulties, I'd go for Teague. Yes, it is close to Teagan, but the name Tadhg (in all its spellings) is inherently close to Teagan, so if that bothers you, you might need to give up on it.

• Options
    EXL311EXL311 member
    Coming from someone named Deirdre I wouldn't do it.  My name is constantly butchered in both spelling and pronunciation.  Your son would go through a lot of troubles having a name spelled and pronounced that way.  I also wouldn't butcher the spelling just for the sake of pronunciation.  I would choose something different altogether.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member

imageEXL311:
    Coming from someone named Deirdre I wouldn't do it.  My name is constantly butchered in both spelling and pronunciation.  Your son would go through a lot of troubles having a name spelled and pronounced that way.  I also wouldn't butcher the spelling just for the sake of pronunciation.  I would choose something different altogether.

How odd. I have a friend named Deirdre. She very rarely complained of spelling errors. If it's any consolation people spell mine wrong alot...and it was all over the news at one point! Also I think Deirdre is a lovely name. :)

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imageplunderb:
    imageZimger:

I think the Teige spelling might help with pronunciation, but Teague is much clearer. If you are considering altering the spelling in order to accommodate American pronunciation difficulties, I'd go for Teague. Yes, it is close to Teagan, but the name Tadhg (in all its spellings) is inherently close to Teagan, so if that bothers you, you might need to give up on it.

Teague has an ee sound. Tadhg has an i sound.

• Options

Teague just reminds me of teak which reminds me of wood...  I don't like the spelling.  

It's an international world with communications happening nearly instantaneously.  Things are only going to get exponentially faster, and people are only going to see more and more of this name.  I say spell it traditionally and work it out.

The people that you need to know his name will be in your life for years, and you're not going to have to explain the spelling or pronunciation more than a handful of times to each of them before they get it. 

As for the strangers, who cares how many times you have to explain it?  Does THAT really need to be the deciding factor when you really love a name?  I don't think so. 

Go with Tadhg. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member

imagequeenbone:
    I think you'll have more success with the pronunciation if you spell it Tighe. I like this name.

I think it is probably the best spelling. I wish people were more inclined too open up to pronunciations from other languages. I really like the Tadhg spelling as it is the original.

I have a similar issue with Bram, which is high on our list. Many people want to pronounce it Bram/Sam, but the proper Irish pronunciation is Brahm. 

Thanks for the feedback!

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imagelucy460:

imageZimger:
    I know spelling and pronunciation would be difficult

imageZimger:
    It's quite easy to pronounce.

So which is it, and why are you asking if you just want to argue with all the feedback?

Meaning that once someone hears the name it isn't difficult to pronounce. The letters in this name are pronounced differently in English.

I am responding with my thoughts to what people say. I'm not arguing at all...simply discussing with others, which would be difficult to do if I didn't respond. If that bothers you I apologize but it's a discussion not arguing...I wouldnt even call it a heated debate.

• Options

My dad has a good friend who lives in Cork.  His name is Tadgh, and he always pronounced it Ty- no gue at the end.  Whenever he called, he would always spell out his name for the message. I think that's just how he pronounced it, if not, it would be like saying "my name is Rob. R O B E R T." 

TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imageang.ela23:

ummm.....Confused

ETA: I get it now, I thought you were saying the name sounded like poet and I was so confused on how you came up with that pronounciation! I like the name just not the spelling.

Oh okay, sorry I didn't see your edit earlier and wasn't sure how to respond.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imagebabystoli:

My dad has a good friend who lives in Cork.  His name is Tadgh, and he always pronounced it Ty- no gue at the end.  Whenever he called, he would always spell out his name for the message. I think that's just how he pronounced it, if not, it would be like saying "my name is Rob. R O B E R T." 

Hmmm...that is interesting. I've never heard it pronounced Ty before. I wonder if it's a regional pronunciation.

• Options
    TheWopTheWop member
    imagelucy460:

imageZimger:

imageZimger:

So which is it, and why are you asking if you just want to argue with all the feedback?

Haha.  This is exactly what I was thinking when reading this post. 

OP, you obviously like the name dispite what the responses tell you about spelling and pronunciation.  If you like it, and are confident in the name, go with it, just be prepared to correct people often.  NBD. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageTheWop:
    imagelucy460:

imageZimger:

imageZimger:

OP, you obviously like the name dispite what the responses tell you about spelling and pronunciation.  If you like it, and are confident in the name, go with it, just be prepared to correct people often.  NBD. 

Not trying to argue but this!

Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    imageTheWop:
    imagelucy460:

imageZimger:

imageZimger:

Not trying to argue but this!

Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imageTheWop:
    imagelucy460:

imageZimger:

imageZimger:

This is a forum for the discussion of names. Which is what I'm doing. If you don't like the discussion then you don't have to participate. I don't mean to sound rude, but isn't that what the board is for?

I asked for opinions on more than just whether or not someone liked the name. I am also looking for opinions in spelling (which people have given). I don't understand why me responding to people on a discussion board is wrong. That's just silly. Some people don't like it and that's okay. No big deal, but I also see people who do like it and have suggestions. That's just all part of a discussion. I guess if someone doesn't want me to respond then they shouldn't post. I have not been negative or rude in any way. I have responded because some people asked questions or I had a thought about the feedback or I thanked someone for taking the time to type out a response.

• Options

I have asked for opinions on spellings for the names I like and quite frankly no one really liked them but I'm ok with that. It will be my child and I will name him or her what I want, I just for opinions for fun and to see if people have valid reasons for not liking them that I hadn't thought about. I don't get defensive or defend my choice. I just say thanks and move along!

BTW, I automatically read Tag spelled horribly wrong when I read Tadhg.

Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options
    TheWopTheWop member
    Haha.  My point is, you're contradicting yourself with the responses above.  Saying the name may be difficult to spell and pronounce, and then saying it's quite easy to pronounce just doesn't make sense in the same post. KWIM? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imageJaysonandKristin:

Teague just reminds me of teak which reminds me of wood...  I don't like the spelling.  

It's an international world with communications happening nearly instantaneously.  Things are only going to get exponentially faster, and people are only going to see more and more of this name.  I say spell it traditionally and work it out.

The people that you need to know his name will be in your life for years, and you're not going to have to explain the spelling or pronunciation more than a handful of times to each of them before they get it. 

As for the strangers, who cares how many times you have to explain it?  Does THAT really need to be the deciding factor when you really love a name?  I don't think so. 

Go with Tadhg. 

I feel the same way most of the time. I do like the traditional spelling and really don't like changing names up just to "go with the flow" so to speak. I think the name will become more common over the next few years (hopefully with the proper spelling). If that happens then maybe people will open up to it more as it will be more common and therefore more easily understood as far as spelling/pronunciation goes.

In the interim I think if most people have a question about the spelling or pronunciation they will ask.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Options

I really like Tadhg.  I am familiar with it and think it goes really nicely with Liam.  Liam is more trendy, whereas I think Tadhg has the authentically Gaelic appeal.  My maiden name is Teague so that one is just strange to me as a first name (though I do have a niece named Teagan, which is a more familiar fn).  

Good luck. 

• Options
    Ok so I listened to the pronunciation and I was way off with my guess and I really try to pronounce people's names correctly.  I thought it would be like Taj (which is probably not the correct spelling of the actual name but I love it) I would never have guessed it was TIE- GUE. I have a hard to pronounce last name and believe me it is really annoying to correct people so I would imagine it would be worse if it was my first name.  I think if you have questions about it you should find another name. 
    BabyName Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member

imageTheWop:
    Haha.  My point is, you're contradicting yourself with the responses above.  Saying the name may be difficult to spell and pronounce, and then saying it's quite easy to pronounce just doesn't make sense in the same post. KWIM? 

I responded to that question above. That was taken from two different post. I may not have said it right the first time but I did explain what I meant.

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imageIloveshanej:

I have asked for opinions on spellings for the names I like and quite frankly no one really liked them but I'm ok with that. It will be my child and I will name him or her what I want, I just for opinions for fun and to see if people have valid reasons for not liking them that I hadn't thought about. I don't get defensive or defend my choice. I just say thanks and move along!

That's okay. I just discuss things in a different way.

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    This thread is no longer about the discussion of a name. So thank you everyone for your responses. I appreciate the time you took to respond and will continue to consider them. If you want to discuss names then feel free to contact me by messaging me. I like to discuss not just listen to opinions. Sorry if anyone thought I was being rude. Have a great day! Smile
  • Options
    kelnyckelnyc member

imagequeenbone:

I'm with you on this one. I like it! I actually knew someone with the name and it was spelled Tighe. (Like tiger without the "er".) He was sexy and mysterious and in a bad, lol!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member

imagefuturemrscanet:
    Ok so I listened to the pronunciation and I was way off with my guess and I really try to pronounce people's names correctly.  I thought it would be like Taj (which is probably not the correct spelling of the actual name but I love it) I would never have guessed it was TIE- GUE. I have a hard to pronounce last name and believe me it is really annoying to correct people so I would imagine it would be worse if it was my first name.  I think if you have questions about it you should find another name. 

It is harder to pronounce. That is one of our bigger considerations. It has moved up and is being used a bit though. I hope we see it a bit more in the future Smile Thanks for the feedback!

• Options

So op doesn't want to discuss this anymore but I have to add that I don't get this Irish naming thing at all. So it's a great name wrapped up in a riddle only to be unlocked by a lifetime of annoying questions. 

I would pronounce this tad-hag. That is awful. People are not going to know what it is, and I really don't see it becoming so super popular in the coming years that the child won't have to explain it.

If anyone else is considering this name, please go with one of the other spellings please! 

Me: 38  DH:36
    lap for endo 12/2010  uterus didelphys confirmed in hysteroscopy 
    dd born at 34 weeks 2/29/12  short NICU stay
    BFP somewhere around 2/14/13  d&c april @ 12 wks   partial molar diagnosed after d&c
    HCG monitoring for approx 11 months
    TTC  #2 

• Options

Irish names are my favorite, but this spelling would be very difficult for your son.  I would seriously consider a different spelling.

Other than that, it's a nice name that matches Liam.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageZimger:
    imageIloveshanej:

I was simply saying there's no reason to get defensive about it. Not everyone will like what you like or agree with what you say.

Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options

imagellfinch:
    I would absolutely butcher this name, and pronounce it Tad-hag, which I know is incorrect. The meaning is great, I just can't get past the spelling. 

This.

BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imageIloveshanej:
    imageZimger:
    imageIloveshanej:

I was simply saying there's no reason to get defensive about it. Not everyone will like what you like or agree with what you say.

I think that's where the confusion is. Discussing something is a bit different than being defensive. A response (even if it doesn't agree) does not imply defensiveness or argument...just discussion. If I had responded in a rude way I could see how people would respond back in this way but I didn't. Huh? But that's okay. All that aside I do appreciate the responses. 

• Options

imagellfinch:

This 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I like the name and the original spelling but don't know if I could go with it.  I think Tighe will put you at a good pronunciation but I only found Teige as an alternate spelling.

ETA:  I love the name Caoimhe so I feel your pain.

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    imagekerribear1717:

I like the name and the original spelling but don't know if I could go with it.  I think Tighe will put you at a good pronunciation but I only found Teige as an alternate spelling.

ETA:  I love the name Caoimhe so I feel your pain.

I'm glad to see people still want to discuss the name. There are a few variations of the name that I was able to find on Behind the Name. https://www.behindthename.com/name/tadhg

Caoimhe is a lovely name. :)

• Options

So first you ask for an opinion, people tell you it's not easy to pronounce and you are argue that it is, then basically throw a tantrum and decide you don't want to talk about it anymore when people aren't responding in the way you prefer.

But then you come back because people are finally discussing things in a manner you see fit. Confused

I think you need to look at this entire thread as a glimpse into your future if you spell your kid's name this way. How annoyed are you going to be when no one can pronounce or spell you kid's name correctly? 

✯             ✯              ✯          ✯               ✯     ✯             ✯         ✯     ✯          ✯                   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"