Special Needs

Floortime and ABA

So can you have both services or does it have to be one or the other?
My sons dev. Ped suggested ABA and also wrote floor time in her note. Ds has about 18 hours of ABA. I've been reading Dr. Greenspan's book and I think that floor time would be really beneficial for ds. 
I can't find any providers and the one that I did find said that its one or the other not both ABA and Floortme together. So then why did the dr. Suggest it? I feel like no one is helping us. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Floortime and ABA

• Thanks so much for responding.

I can't find anyone in my area that does floortime. I called my insurance for info and they had no idea what I was talking about.

His EI coordinator is not so helpful, it's almost like they pushed for the ABA provider and didn't offer any additional options to me. There is a autism support group in my area that I will contact.

DS is very engaging and loves attention so I think incorporating floortime would be really good for him. His dev. Ped. Suggested 12 hours at first and once she found out he was making progress she said to increase the hours. 

• I am want to teach him appropriate play and social skills. He engages but mostly if we approach him.

You are right, I am confused about floortime. I thought it was like having an OT come to my home once a week for an hour. I just started reading Greenspan's book but haven't gotten to the part about using the floortime method at home. 

Thank you once again! 

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you auntie!

I tried a few things with him today, like waited for him to make eye contact with me before I put the password in on my phone, then I waited for him to ask me to turn the sound up making sure we had eye contact and then we took turns playing the game. I think this will also help me bond with him more.

• There is all good information. You can also find a 6-hr video course by Stanley Greenspan if you go to www.StanleyGreenspan.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"