April 2011 Moms

milk? with meals or in between?

when do you give your LO milk? we have been forever in a pretty much a every 4 hour bottle routine. so bottle first thing in the AM, then breakfast an hour or so later. another right before nap. then lunch after nap. then a bottle an hour or two later. then dinner. then bedtime bottle. 6 oz per bottle. WELL we transitioned to a sippy now just a few days ago and he isn't taking in as much milk as he was in the bottle. I suspected for a long time he just drank whatever I gave him and now he seems to be regulating better. even though he drinks 24 oz per day it isn't whole cows milk. just rice milk or coconut or almond, which have significantly less calories, fat, etc. he has no problem eating huge meals and snacks despite the 24 oz of milk. weight is fine, probably around 60th percentile. should I try to decrease his milk intake? should I give it at different times? I just feel like I am constantly feeding him or giving him milk, LOL. what is your LO's routine?? THANKS!! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: milk? with meals or in between?

• Julianna gets a bottle when she wakes up in the am.  I give her water during her meals.  She'll get another bottle or sippy for nap time.  She'll get a third bottle when she goes to bed at night.  We give her cows milk and 8 oz at a time.  

I think as long as your LO is getting a variety of food (protein, greens and fruit) he is fine with the milk intake.  Also his weight plays a factor in some cases.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At 15months DS was drinking way too much milk, maybe 40oz .... He was a junkie! My pedi was not happy, she said no more than 24oz in a day .... Aka 8oz with each meal. She said to give water in between meals. Hope that helps! 

Fast forward to DD and she only drinks 6-8oz of milk a day ... I can't win :-) 

DS 3.7.09
    mm/c 5.3.10 at 10 weeks
    DD 4.1.11
    mm/c 9.25.12 at 11 weeks
    c/p 3.20.13
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • kje120kje120 member

I give him a 4 oz sippy with breakfast, he has a 5 oz sippy with lunch and another 5 oz with dinner.  Sometimes daycare will give him a sippy of milk with a little snack if he gets hungry before I pick him up. He also gets 6 oz before bed.  He's getting 24 oz at most during the day, but sometimes less.  I give him water at other times.

I may need to start restricting his milk a little at mealtimes to see if that helps with his eating. I swear I can't get him to eat anything. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We do milk in the morning and in between meals.  With meals we do water.
  • Chloe does milk with meals and a few sips of milk with her evening snack (right before bed).  Other than that she get's water or juice.  She only drinks 8 - 12 ounces a day on average.  Some days less some days more.  Less if we aren't home for lunch (I don't bring milk out with me, so if she get's her own meal she'll get milk but usually she eats off my plate and gets water/juice).

If he's eating good at other meals I wouldn't change anything unless you want to. Our pedi said no more than 20 ounces a day but she'd prefer it closer to 12.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have a milk junkie on my hands..she gets around 32 oz a day but Im not to worried because she isn't the greatest of eaters and at almost 16 months she is only 19lbs.

She usually gets 8 ozs after breakfast, lunch and dinner and another 8ozs late afternoon.

With meals I give her water and sometimes during afternoon snack I give her some juice mixed with some water. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm crazy about only giving her milk with her meals. the only other liquid she gets is water and she can have as much as she wants throughout the day. With them having teeth, it's not good for them to constantly sip on milk or juice all day as is increases the risk for cavities. I'm probably stricter on his being that I'm a hygienist and I see waaaaaaay too many kids with cavities!

BabyFruit Ticker}
  • 2u2wow2u2wow member
    DS gets a 6/8 oz ( i don't really measure...just try to fill less than 8oz) of whole milk bottle 3 times a day - morning, afternoon nap and bedtime. then just water throughout the day
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"