Preemies
Options

Cabin fever- how much can we go out?

I'm starting to lose my mind. Other than e's dr appt last Friday I haven't left the house in almost two weeks. I just told dh I need to go get a Mani/ pedi or something. I'm also confused about how much we can do. E was born at 31w5d a d is now 37 w 1d. (his actual age is 1month 1 week and 1 day). He had no breathing problems and needed no medications in nicu. They told us to basically lock him in the house for a year or two to keep him away from germs. His pedi said we can take him in public if people aren't touching him/ sick and I bought a uv cover for the carrier to keep people away. 

Is it ok for me to go walk around the mall with the stroller? I need to get out before I lose my mind!!!  

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Cabin fever- how much can we go out?

• Options
    I cant edit on my phone but I would go for a walk outside but it's extremely hot and humid so I don't want him to overheat 
    imageimage

• Options
    I would ask your doctor. Ours did not want them going out until They were about 5 months is when we got the go ahead. They were not allowed in daycare until 7 months. They were born during RSV season though. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our LO was born at 36 weeks, so definitely not as early as yours but we had her out for doctors appointments and errands right away.  I just kept her carseat canopy up and never had issues with people wanting to touch her.  I would talk to your pedi, but I also understand feeling cooped up and needing to get out.  Do you have friends or family nearby that you could visit so you could get out but not be surrounded by people?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My ds is almost the exact same age as yours.  He was born at 31 weeks 4 days due to PROM.  He is 37 weeks 2 days now.  He also didn't have any breathing issues or meds in the NICU.  He was there 25 days and has been home just over 2 weeks.  We have been taking him out almost daily.  I just make sure that his stroller is totally covered.  We are careful about where we take him.  Although I did take him to the mall last week to get his pic's taken.  My pedi said it is ok to take him out as long as we keep our distance from people.  And of course keep him away from anyone sick.  I think were lucky bc it's summer so there are fewer people sick then there would be in the winter.  I think it's all about common sense and doing what you feel comfortable with. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Thanks everyone.  It definitely doesn't help that dh thinks he's helping by running all the errands.... It's sweet but I want to leave!! Not leave my son but get out. I feel like a bad mom for wanting to do stuff by myself.  I guess this is FTm guilt? 

I have a nicu mom friend coming today but tomorrow we are leaving the house! I'm forcing it!  

imageimage

• Options
    imagePhillyGal34:

Thanks everyone.  It definitely doesn't help that dh thinks he's helping by running all the errands.... It's sweet but I want to leave!! Not leave my son but get out. I feel like a bad mom for wanting to do stuff by myself.  I guess this is FTm guilt? 

I have a nicu mom friend coming today but tomorrow we are leaving the house! I'm forcing it!  

We're about the same but a year apart. It was hard bringing him home in the summer because PA heat is oppressive. Tell H you want to run errands! That's not FTM guilt - that's preemie guilt! (says the FTM) - but it's normal either way. Nobody wants to be locked up. I took DS for walks in the morning when it wasn't so bad. Like this morning was nice. I also kept a wet washcloth with us to rub the top of his head. Like a puppy ;) 

• Options

My son was born at 30 weeks at the beginning of RSV season, and came home in the middle of RSV season. We were advised to keep him home at all costs...however, I just couldn't do that. My husband and I agreed that as long as he was doing well the first few weeks we would take hime out. We took him places like Target, the grocery store, and even restaurants and usually had him covered because he was sleeping (even with a light blanket). That prevented people from being curious to touch him. Even when we took him to church, everyone was very respectful of our wishes to not have him touched.

I think you have to use your judgement and what you feel comfortable with. IMHO I don't think it's a problem as long as you use caution. I say go for it momma!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We brought DS home July 16 2 years ago. We did take him places, but made sure to always keep him covered and made sure to wash our hands frequently. We took him to the store and out to dinner, but avoided super crowded places. If you wanted to take him to the mall, I would think that would be fine. I would try to go during less crowded times. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket
  • Options

The "lock him in the house for a year or two" advice from your pedi sounds a little extreme. My preemie was a 26 weeker, major breathing issues, went home on O2 and had feeding issues and we brought him out and about immediately in the summer time. During his first winter, we were more selective of where he went but once he hit one year, we treated him as a "normal" kiddo, and stopped thinking of the bubble. It was hard, but we needed the normalcy. 

Just keep up with the hygiene, clean hands and no one touch him that you do not allow. I always used a car seat canopy/cover thing and no one touched him. KNOCK ON WOOD, despite a bout or two of croup, we've had no major illnesses and at 17 months, no hospitalizations. Our pedi sees more illness in the kids that never went out than those that did, but had cautious handlers.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    But I would not go out before the due date. (We were in the NICU though.) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. My pedi said we could go out as long as we are selective. It e's the nicu dr that said 1-2 years.  I think they are a little extreme though. Of course now we are going through an insane heat wave anyway so I don't even want to take him out!!!! 
    imageimage

• Options

My DS was born at 29/6 in Oct but came home very end of november, so right smack in RSV season. He was on O2 and a monitor, so that made getting out a little extra difficult.  Despite that, after a few weeks I started taking him to a breastfeeding support group. We'd also take him for walks on warmer days.  After the oxygen came off we would occasionally take him to our local coffee shop, always keeping him covered and trying to sit away from other people if possible. My sister's DD was born at 36 weeks during cold/flu/RSV season and she was given no special instructions so she took her out running errands a week after she was born. I say do what you're comfortable with but I don't think absolute lockdown is totally necessary-keeping yourself mentally healthy is super important and getting out is part of that.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"