Phoenix Babies
Options

Hospital/OB-GYN Recommendations

My husband and I found out we are expecting our first child, but after a couple visits with my current OB-GYN practice we are not happy or feel comfortable continuing in their care.  As we have no previous experience with deliveries we are looking for recommendations in the area - hospitals and doctors.

• We've friends who've delivered at Dessert Sam and Shea, but I'd like more information about other options available.
  • We live and work in Central Phoenix, but would be willing to drive to have the care of a professional who hasn't lost our paperwork . . . twice.  (Also, having the doctor who will deliver at the office visits is preferred over random nurse practictioners.)

Selecting the hospital and doctor go hand in hand, so we are looking for advice before moving forward with changing care providers.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Hospital/OB-GYN Recommendations

• Options

We are also expecting our first and I go to Valley Women for Women on Gilbert and Baseline. I live in the Phoenix area and do not mind the drive over there. All the doctors there are very nice and helpful.  They have a nice office and it is an all women practice, which I like.  They have a few other offices in the Gilbert area.  Here is their website  https://www.valleywomenforwomen.com/.

Good luck! 

• Options
    I delivered my twin boys last month at Banner Good Samaritan. I also live in central Phoenix and am a physician at Good Sam (so I am partial to the place!). I had a great experience. My OB is Dr. Bruce Culbertson and he is fantastic-great bedside manner. He is in practice with 2 other male OBs...no NPs and you see your provider each visit, but will meet the other partners at least once so you're not strangers at delivery (a bonus of a smaller group is that you are more likely to have your doc make it to delivery). Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We go to Linconln OBGYn and they deliver at either JCL Deer Valley or Thunderbird.  Both are very nice.  Dr. Galasso is awesome.  He has been my OB through 6 pregnancies, and is incredible.  He does his own u/s and bloodwork in the office so that saves a bunch of time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am delivering at Shea and using Dr Mary Deka at Paradise Valley ObGyn. My husband is an anesthesiologist and he worked with Dr. Deka and Dr. Crum in the past and thought they were good. Good Sam is also a great group especially for high risk pregnancies and is closer to where you live...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageAzwildkat:
    I delivered my twin boys last month at Banner Good Samaritan. I also live in central Phoenix and am a physician at Good Sam (so I am partial to the place!). I had a great experience. My OB is Dr. Bruce Culbertson and he is fantastic-great bedside manner. He is in practice with 2 other male OBs...no NPs and you see your provider each visit, but will meet the other partners at least once so you're not strangers at delivery (a bonus of a smaller group is that you are more likely to have your doc make it to delivery). Good luck!

I agree with pp. I see Dr. Bruce (one of Culbertson's partners). I delivered at St. Joes and had a good experience there. they go to both hospitals and I work at Joes. I like all 3 doctors in the practice. Good luck choosing :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also go to Valley Women for Women and am very happy with the care I'm receiving.  They deliver at Chandler Regional, Mercy Gilbert, and Banner Ironwood.  I'm still trying to pick one of those hospitals.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hello,

I have to say that I am partial to Scottsdale Healthcare Shea as I have worked for Scottsdale for 10 years now. My physician Dr. Brenda Martin, is wonderful. I was able to work with her before moving over to the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit and she is just incredible. You will hear that they tend to be a little snobby but that is North Scottsdale and I have to say that they really focus on the couple and what they want and what they are comfortable with. They keep the delivery floor quiet for all the mothers that are in delivering. Hope that this helps.

I am due in the early part of November and ready for summer to be OVER !

• Options
    I also see dr galasso hesamazing. Has great bedside manner and takes the time to explain everything while hes doing his own u/s. They used to deliver at jcl but now at banner thunderbird their number is 602 678 1111. Their office is located at 55th ave and tbird. Been my dr for awhile and helped me through al my m/c. They have everything there so you dont have to go to hospital until ready to deliver. Stress tests everything and he wont loose your paperwork
  • Options
    I saw the CNMs at St. Joe's and had a great experience.  I wanted a natural childbirth so my choice of hospitals was dependent upon who was A) on my insurance plan and B) who was most amenable toward natural childbirth.  You didn't mention anything about natural vs. epidural so I'm not sure if this is a factor.  If it is, you should look into Blossom Birth Center or check out the community at Midwives Rising for private midwife or doula recommendations. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
  • Options

I switched from Mountain Park Health Group to Boojum OB/ iWoman's Health in Chandler.  It is a small practice with a few mid-wives and Dr. David Kells. We love it!  Its a much better experience than where I was before (like night and day).  I also live in the center Phoenix area but close to Baseline.  I do a 30 minute drive there and it's worth it.  The hospital we chose was Mercy Gilbert Medical Center.  We did the hospital tour and was very impressed.  We haven't delivered yet but my DH said it was one of the best looking hospitals he has ever seen in his life and he's been to many in the US and over seas.

The main reason we chose Mercy Gilbert was because they have a birthing tub available and I wanted to go natural otherwise I would have chosen Chandler hospital because it is right down the street from the doctor's office.   I would recommend all families to do hospital tours and don't wait till the last minute because they do fill up fast.  Also find out which hospitals your doctor delivers so you can make educated decisions on which hospital fits your needs.  Good luck everyone!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Update: I delivered  at Mercy Gilbert and we can't say enough good things about it.  The nurses were so nice and helpful.  They even have a chunk of time where no one disturbs you so you can rest or do whatever.  The rooms are comfortable and updated.  If I have more children the will be the first hospital of choice.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"