March 2012 Moms
Options

Surgery Yesterday

We came to the decision to have LO's tongue Tie clipped a few weeks ago.  It was a tough decision since he would have to be put under due to the thickness.  But, in the grand scheme of things we knew it would be the right decision.  Thank you ladies for all of your encouragement while we were coming to that decision.

LO was not happy about getting strapped into his carseat so early without his breakfast, but once we got in the car he calmed right down.  They loved him in the prep area, he was all smiles and then sound asleep until it was time to head into the operating room.  They let me stay with him while they put him under.  That was probably the hardest part, seeing him struggle so much and fight the anesthesia (although I think the only reason he fought it so much was b/c they took his hand out of his mouth and that thing is his best friend haha).  He was out of there in less than 10 minutes, and I was able to go to him and feed him as soon as he woke up.

The surgeon came in to talk to me after and let me know that he was very glad we went through with the procedure, as his tie was even thicker than they thought initally and would almost definitely have caused problems later on.

I can already see improvement with his latch and he sucks down bottles so much quicker.  He has bad habits from not being able to open his mouth wide enough but I'm working to correct those and have already noticed him starting to correct things mid-feed on his own.  We've got an appt  with the lactation consultant tomorrow so hopefully she can give us some pointers.

I'm disappointed that his pedi still wants me to give him bottles fortified with formula right now, since that means I'm stuck on the pump still, but I know that it is for him.  And once he starts showing that he can gain (he's still not quite 10lbs and he was full term, this tongue tie has really screwed with us) we'll be able to stop the bottles and only top off when needed instead of after every feed.  I just feel so great that we did this.  Seing such a rapid improvement in his eating habits is so encouraging!  Here's a pic of him in the recovery room, passed out after I fed him.

Re: Surgery Yesterday

• Options
    WipzWipz member

Glad everything went smoothly and you are seeing improvements already, he is an adorable little guy ..keep us posted with his progress :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yaaaay! I'm so glad that things have turned out so well for you both :D 

Oh man, I totally can't even imagine having to take DD for a surgery like that.... you're one tough lady! It makes me nervous just thinking about it, so bravo. It was definitely the right thing to do, and it's so cool to hear that you're already noticing an improvement!!  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can tell how relieved you are.  So glad it all went so well.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You are mommy of the year in my eyes. I am so proud of your strenght. WOW. I am in tears of joy that he is ok and already improving. Great job! And what a great picture!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Wow that must have been so hard seeing him go through that! I'm glad he's already doing better, I hope he continues to improve!
  • Options
    ds1247ds1247 member
    I know that was hard decision, but I am glad to see it worked out and hopefully he will get back on track quickly.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Glad it all went okay! Hopefully he will start gaining weight for you now. He is a cutie!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What a cutie pie!  Glad he is able to eat better now.
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"