VBAC
Options

Induction and VBAC?

KT05KT05 member
Long story short (much if it is stated in an earlier post), my dr was suddenly no longer supportive of my VBAC decision so I fired her. I did a lot of research and found a dr who has done 1000s of successful vbacs! He's great except for one red flag: he wants to induce me at 39 weeks, he says that will get a best result. That's the total opposite of everything I thought about vbacs! I tried to do some research online but I found conflicting info and it's just left me more confused.

Anyone know anything about this? Anyone been induced and had a successful VBAC?

Re: Induction and VBAC?

• Options
    That does sound really weird.  My midwives will induce me, but only if I go to 41w6d.  I always thought that inductions prior to your due date without a medical reason were more likely to result in c/s.  Maybe you can ask him to provide some stats/research supporting his view?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The only thing I can think of is that your baby is measuring really large? Other than that Vbac friendly doctor in my area says that you have a better chance at success without induction. I have heard that induction can increase the chances of UR, a stalled labor, fetal distress all leading to a c/s. If I find something online I will post it here. That sounds really fishy, but I remember reading your original post and Im really glad you were able to find a VBAC friendly doctor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Okay so this might be helpful. On page 264 there is a chart showing success rates of this article. I hope this helps some. GL!

https://www2.cfpc.ca/local/user/files/%7B91FBAEEB-1517-4FB4-91C6-28ABE765A462%7D/VBAC%20Induction.pdf

• Options

At the very end, the conclusion also explains it pretty well. =)

• Options
    KT05KT05 member
    imagestepht514:

Okay so this might be helpful. On page 264 there is a chart showing success rates of this article. I hope this helps some. GL!

https://www2.cfpc.ca/local/user/files/%7B91FBAEEB-1517-4FB4-91C6-28ABE765A462%7D/VBAC%20Induction.pdf

Thank you!!! I will definitely ask him for some stats and facts to support his decision.
  • Options
    That sounds weird to me. That said, my VBAC was induced. I had pre eclampsia at 38 weeks in my first pregnancy and my blood pressure was rising at 39 weeks, so my OB chose to induce for that. I was already 3-4 cm at the office a few days before my induction and by the time I checked in to the hospital I was actually at 5 cm (had felt no contractions!). My OB had said they could only induce because I was progressing on my own. Cervadil, which is what they use to start opening the cervix if there's no progress, is contraindicated for a VBAC (or at least was in 2009).
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was induced for my VBAC at 41 weeks (the latest the hospital allowed) but 39 weeks seems early to me.  Since I carried both of my pregnancies well over 40 weeks, I wouldn't imagine my body would cooperate that early.  Did you ask to see stats?  How many 39 week inductions end up in c/s for him?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    My OB has the same preference, since he has a 6% c-section rate I'm not about to start arguing with him about it.  He'll only induce if you've already started to make some progress on your own.  His rationale is that he likes to monitor VBAC patients more closely and inducing allows him to plan around it.  I know a lot people on this board don't like that thinking, but I'm ok with it.  I'm also not pregnant yet but I've done my research and switched to this OB already.
  • Options

imageRootBeerFloat29:
    My OB has the same preference, since he has a 6% c-section rate I'm not about to start arguing with him about it.  He'll only induce if you've already started to make some progress on your own.  His rationale is that he likes to monitor VBAC patients more closely and inducing allows him to plan around it.  I know a lot people on this board don't like that thinking, but I'm ok with it.  I'm also not pregnant yet but I've done my research and switched to this OB already.

A 6% VBAC rate is great!  Maybe he could write a book for the rest of the OBs.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    imageMAprincess:

imageRootBeerFloat29:

A 6% VBAC rate is great!  Maybe he could write a book for the rest of the OBs.

I'm pretty excited about him!  I went to my annual with one of his NP's and she said "if anyone can get you to deliver vaginally, it's Dr. W".

• Options
    KT05KT05 member
    imageRootBeerFloat29:
    That's awesome! And the rationale does make sense to me. My dr has done a ton of vbacs too maybe there's something to this? I'll definitely be asking him more details at the next appt.
  • Options

I pushed my OB to wait until the last "safe" date 41 weeks. At that time we were scheduled for RCS unless I was 2-3cm's and was able to be induced with pitocin. I also was induced with a foley bulb since I was only 1-2 at 41 weeks. 

With the foley bulb I went from 1-2 to 4-5 in an hour. I have birth about 6 hours later after pitocin drip the whole time.  

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"