2nd Trimester

What does your uterus feel like?

I've read several times that when you lie on your back, you can/should/will be able to feel your uterus moving up, out of your pelvic region.  I have no idea how to tell.  What "feeling" am I looking for?  Just a tightness?  I have some extra belly chub, if that matters.
Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.

Re: What does your uterus feel like?

• Honestly, I have never experienced this at all. I do feel my uterus in that it feels sort of like a water balloon in my abdomen at times, but I am not sure about it "moving up" -- with any of my pregnancies.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It feels like a ball in my abdomen. About an inch in from either hip bone and just below my belly button, maybe a finger width. Touch your chin and the tip of your nose-- the firmness of it is somewhere between the two of those, if I had to characterize it.

ETA: at 14 weeks for me it felt like it was about the size of an orange, and I best felt it just above my pelvic bone. Still felt like a little ball, though. ;-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine feels hard...and definitely feels like a firm ball when you push on it, mine is right below my belly button. Next time the dr feels for your uterus, just pay attention and you will know what spot to touch.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It will feel like a really hard ball...that gets bigger and bigger...slowing squishing all your insides until you can hardly breathe aroung 7-8 months if not sooner!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • The easy way to feel it is to stay midline with you belly botton. Depending on how far along you are you would take you finger tip and start pressing firmly above or below your belly botton and move down or up until you feel a small ball. 
  • I can feel mine, I even had my husband try. It's just hard where it used to be fleshy (in my pooch region).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm a FTM and I didn't start feeling it until about 2-3 weeks ago. Sometimes it is easier to feel than others. At times during the day it is very firm and others kind of soft. Not sure if that is the position of the baby or what. I have belly chub around my belly button but my uterus is still much lower than that so I can feel it down there.
    party-fails-crunk-critters-catnips-a-hell-of-a-drug Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker (formerly TTGP poster abfromva)
  • I have a mother's apron from DD, so I can't feel anything through that flab of skin and fat. Lovely. But I can feel it internally, if you know what I mean.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • At 14 weeks, it can still be pretty low.  If you have some extra padding there, you may need to try pushing the fat up a little and then press near your pubic bone to feel the top of your uterus, which will feel kind of firm.  In the coming weeks, as it moves up more, you should be able to feel it a little more easily when you're on your back.

• I couldn't feel mine until 20 weeks when it was right at my belly button. I tapped down by my pelvis and continued up to my belly button. When I got to my belly button it felt softer and it felt like my uterus kind of rounded out over my belly button.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been having a hard time telling the difference this week. In weeks 12 & 13 it was super obvious though! Really low my abdomen went from soft to hard. Now at 15 weeks I'm having a much more difficult time but when I feel around about half an inch below my belly button I can feel a slight difference.

I think a lot of it depends on your body shape/how much pressure you're using. Try sort of walking your fingers down from just above your belly button to an inch below to see if you notice a difference. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"