Boston Babies

Getting started on baby gear!?

I'm 17 weeks and need to start thinking about registering soon (due in December.) Hoping only to register for things we really need - I do not want to go over board.

What's the best way for us to get started with research? I'm totally overwhelmed.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Getting started on baby gear!?

• I have worked in child care for the past 12 years in an infant room so I knew what I wanted to have if I ever had a baby. When I found out I was pregnant I had no clue what I wanted lol. I looked at alot of the basic items that I wanted and read reviews online and on the stores page, and came here to the bump for advice from other moms with the younger children. I recieved a bouncy seat, exersaucer and some boppy pillows. I only used the bouncy seat and exersaucers for assistance when I had to run to the bathroom or needed to sit down and to give her a few mins at a time for her to explore the exersaucer.

If you go into alot of child care centers now in Mass you will see that they do not have baby swings, exersaucers or bouncy seats. Most centers are trying to have a least restrictive environment for their babies. As crazy as it sounds I love it! The children now are always in their environment and exploring on their own. Not saying don't ever get a bouncy or exersaucer but there are so many other great options out there. I think if I am to ever have another child I will limit how many "restrictive" things I have.

But ask for everything even big items like a crib and dresser people might be willing to do a group gift to get you a bigger item. Def ask for cloth diapers (great for burping) a boppy pillow (great for helping you nurse if you choose and its great for the baby to practice sitting up or during tummy time just watch them)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    I made it past my goal I nursed for 1 year and 6 weeks! Im so proud of myself!
  • Don't get caught up in the "extras" A lot of people go into registries and just go crazy. Put the big stuff on there, but make sure the smaller things that you put on there will be the necessities.

Our biggest life saver for us was the pack and play. She hated the bassinet. So we tried the pack and play with the napper. She slept so well in it and we still use it today for when we are on trips.

Little things: diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream, thermometer, stuff like that. Boppy, we really didn't use the swing a ton. We had an exersaucer that she loved but couldn't use til she was older. People will buy automatically buy you cloths weather they are on them or not.

Put all the big stuff on there. You never know if they will go in for a big present. So put the car seat (we went with the graco snug ride 32)  Stroller,(we did the snap and go because we could transfer her from the car to the stroller without bothering her. 

• Loading the player...
  • Luma88Luma88 member

imageBabyFruit Tickerimage
    DD due April 2, 2014
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    DS born April 9, 2011

• Honestly, everyone has an opinion on what to get or what not to get. It comes down to what you want. I would look at other people's registries and make your own list based on a compilation of other people's registries. Keep all your receipts and make sure you get everything that YOU think you will need. You can always get things after the baby comes and return anything you don't end up using. 

This being my first and I'm due in September, I've registered for a lot. babiesrus gives you 10% off items on your registry post your due date. I figure why not? Who knows what the baby will like and not like. Who even knows if newborn clothes will be too small?! If people don't buy what I deem as necessary I'll buy it with the 10% off and move on. And keep those receipts too. Every baby is different and everyone thinks you have to have ____. You are the only one to really decide that. 

Good luck! 

• I also would recommend the baby bargains book.  It has reviews on stores, brands and individual items.  We decided to work on one item at a time in the order needed to make it not as overwhelming.  So for example, first we looked into car seats so we could bring the baby home.  Then strollers because a lot of car seats go with strollers and then crib/bassinet because the baby needs to sleep somewhere.  Make sure you order the crib and any other furniture early because it could take a long time to come in. 

Good luck!  I did find doing one item at a time made things less overwhelming.

• I can help you! I own a baby planning company and specialize in creating baby registries. If you would like, I could send you my list of the best products (no charge)....

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"