Military Families
Options

Thoughts and Prayers Needed

I'm usually on the March 2012 Board but I just saw this board and thought I would post.

My cousin is in Afghanistan (Air Force) and his best friend died in a plane crash while taking firefighters to Colorado to help with the fires. He is devastated and His wife is taking it very hard since her husband is away. Joe, their friend, left behind a wife, 3 boys and a 3wk old little girl. There were 4 men total that passed.

We aren't a military family and it seems so hard to understand this life. I'm grateful for the men and women serving but I think sometimes it's even more difficult for the families left behind.

How can we (her family and friends) help her and reach out to her husband. We've sent care packages and tried hanging out with her and offered to keep the kids but she seems to holed up in her home and won't come out.

Also, they haven't released the body so it is prolonging the closure that she needs. (I know how selfish that sounds since she is just a friend).

Any advice or help? Thanks for your bravery every day (it sounds so cliche but I really can't put into words my gratitude)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Thoughts and Prayers Needed

• Options

It takes a while to release the body to family when things like this happen.  I know it's tough, it's just something you have to wait out.  

As far as helping her, just let her know you are there.  I'm sure there are all sorts of people overwhelming her on top of this news. All she wants to do is be alone.  Let her have her space and encourage others to respect that.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's a tough situation. I think it depends on the person. My friend (a fellow military wife) just had her husband return from overseas yesterday. Towards the beginning of his tour, her mom unexpectedly passed away. It was a tragedy and her mother was too young to pass on. My friend was about to graduate college. She did amazing! She was upbeat and greatful for all support. We were there for each other through other overseas tours. I think sometimes the best support always came form other military spouses, because you felt like they really know how you are feeling on certain levels. Not that makes them any better then anyone else. I agree...if she wants to have space, just give it to her. Man what a horrible horrible thing to experience. My prayers and thoughts are with all!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    I LOVE MY THREE KIDS! :)
    imageimageimage
    Want great discounts?? Want to earn free Scentsy or even earn some extra money??
    Click on the logo and ask me how!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear that.  I will keep them in my prayers!  Any support you offer her (phone calls, offering to bring meals, asking her what she needs) would be great. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"