Preemies

Wen did your preemie start breastfeeding well?

My 29 weeker ( who is now 37 weeks) is still struggling with breastfeeding and prefers the bottle...when did your LO finally 'get it'?
Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.

Re: Wen did your preemie start breastfeeding well?

• My DS really only got the hang of it about 3wks ago. He was born tongue tied & couldn't BF until it was snipped (3wks ago )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD was born at 35 weeks, figured out the bottle and left the NICU at 37 weeks, and after lots of hard work she figured out BFing when she was 8 weeks old (6 weeks after leaving the NICU). I can't say enough good things about our LC and highly recommend getting connected with one! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • BF wasn't "easy" till he was 1-2 wks adj. He did BF more than bottle feed from the get go though. Urbanflowerpot has a great post on the preemie blog (linked at top of page) talking about how she dealt with nipple confusion issues with her little guy. It was a lot of work for them but she prevailed in the end. Lots of ppl have found her story helpful.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • imagecoastalmaine:
    My 29 weeker ( who is now 37 weeks) is still struggling with breastfeeding and prefers the bottle...when did your LO finally 'get it'?

It might take some time and work after the NICU experience. DS was nipple confused (though it looked like he knew what he was doing - had all the nurses and LC's fooled, too!) and so it took four months for him to be EBF. The three weeks up until he got it were his most successful since I'd gone to get another LC.  

• Thanks everyone. I saw a LC in the NICU but should probably contact one here as well. 
    Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.
  • Sadly mine still hasn't "gotten it". :(
  • My son has only latched three times. He is now 4 and a half months old. I'm a pumping machine. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"