Special Needs
Options

Toddler Echocardiogram - experience?

hi - this is an xp from toddler board:

Our oldest was born with a few heart defects.  Nothing life threatening thank god!  But three holes in her heart, a leaky valve, and something that did not develop all the way (I forget medical terms).  Anyways - fast forward to 3 years old and here we are needing to take her in for her 2nd echo-cardiogram (first was at 3 days old). 

How do I prepare her for this?  Any advice from those that have been there with their toddler?  I know that she will need to be looked at for about an hour.  I really don't want this experience to traumatize her with us needing to hold her down to be still.

Would love any tips....including talking about "why" and "what" before we go.  Appt is in three weeks.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Toddler Echocardiogram - experience?

• Options

One of my DDs gets an echo every year.  My biggest piece of advice is to bring a movie that she loves (and a portable DVD player if they don't have DVD player at the hospital).  A good movie helps them keep still and occupied.  We also bring her lovey and her favorite blanket, just to help keep her peaceful.  

Also, make sure to leave your other children at home/with a sitter.  It's so hard for them to sit still if a sibling is running around the room (I had to bring my other DD once and it was hard, even though she was really good).  

Are you having the echo at a Children's hospital?  If so, they should be good about explaining what's happening on toddler terms.  Our hospital shows all the equipment to her and lets her test it out before they start for real.  And we always emphasize how it won't hurt at all.  

Also, don't be afraid to bribe!  =)  We always promise a special treat or toy if she stays really still.  It works well.

Good luck.  I hope everything goes smoothly! 

• Options
    Thanks!  No - not at Childrens' Hospital.  We saw a pediatric cardiologist that had their own office - but they are moving, so this will be the first time we are there.  Great idea - an ipad is a must. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The older P gets (she's 2 1/2) the harder echo's get.  Her last one was, probably about a year ago (which reminds me it may be time again!) but they didn't actually even get to really do it because she was so hysterical.  We just all decided that since her EKG looked good and she was having no other odd symptoms it was OK to try and wait til she was a little older and try again. 

The first few minutes may seem awful but as soon as she realizes that if she just lays there and watches ipad, etc that she doesn't HAVE to be held down you will probably be ok.  

I've had a ton of echo's myself and sometimes they are unpleasant if they press too hard, etc.  So if she says it hurts it could be uncomfortable feeling.

GL 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    As a PP recommended, the iPad works wonders for these types of procedures.  I usually lay on the bed next to my son which also seems to calm him.  They should have a tv with a DVD player and some movies for you, but it won't hurt to bring some books, etc.
  • Options
    imagerealisticdreams:

The older P gets (she's 2 1/2) the harder echo's get.   

Our experience has been the opposite.  The older LA gets, the easier it is.  Our cardio has a HUGE flat screen tv in the room so a good DVD is all that is needed now to keep LA in check.  Bring your iPad and download a favorite show.  Bribery also works :) 

• Options
    imageJustinlove:
    imagerealisticdreams:

The older P gets (she's 2 1/2) the harder echo's get.   

Our experience has been the opposite.  The older LA gets, the easier it is.  Our cardio has a HUGE flat screen tv in the room so a good DVD is all that is needed now to keep LA in check.  Bring your iPad and download a favorite show.  Bribery also works :) 

They wouldn't even try to start last time because she was already hysterical after the ekg.  In comparison to how she was when she was smaller vs now it was wayyyy easier before.  She is old enough to understand the difference between real pain now though.  The last time we went was about a year ago and I think it would be easier now vs. a year ago but a year ago vs new baby wasn't as ideal.  

She doesn't buy into bribery very much though lol and tends to throw whatevers in front of her if she's mad.  

ETA the cardio we go to, while it's a peds office has nothing for kids =( 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    When DD had her most recent echo, they played a Baby Einstein DVD. It worked wonders. She was so enamored by it, she stayed still the whole time. Like a pp said, I would recommend bringing a portable DVD player or iPad in case the office doesn't have a TV set up.
    Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

A lollipop and Elmo videos worked this time (she is 3).  For us, the actual echo only took about 10 minutes but it feels like forever when they are freaking out. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"