Preemies

Solids

Did you Ladies base starting solids on your LO's adjusted or actual age? DD is 6 months actual age and 5 months adjusted. I have introduced her to solids a few times but she is just not interested. She will take 1-3 bites, spit some out, then turn her head. She just does not seem ready. What are your thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Solids

• My lo is only 1 month old so I don't have any personal experience with it but my doctor said to go by the adjusted age when considering solids.  Hope this helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagepathfindermon:
    My lo is only 1 month old so I don't have any personal experience with it but my doctor said to go by the adjusted age when considering solids.  Hope this helps!

That's what I thought. Thanks for your reply:)

• Loading the player...
  • imageBostonKisses2:

You're going to hear a lot of varying opinions on this.  Some pedis (ours included) gave the ok to start solids by 6m actual, with one theory being that a preemie's gut is primed for food earlier, and they can handle things sooner.  Some pedis recommend going by adjusted age instead.  We actually waited until closer to 7m actual before starting her, just because I felt like she wasn't quite ready when we got the go-ahead.

I would honestly say to go with your gut.  If your LO is not ready and/or is not showing an interest, don't force it.  Solids at that age are primarily for practice purposes and not for main nutrition value, so there's no harm in waiting.

Yes I agree. If she does not want it I do not force her. I try something and if she refuses I wait a few days and then try again, and keep going from there.

• We first tried solids at 6mo actual (4.5 adjusted). DD was less than thrilled about this plan and I think she probably wasn't ready. We just kept trying but didn't force it and she got the hang of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We went with adjusted age on solids.  I've heard lots of differing opinions on this topic on this board though. 
  • I went by his developmental milestones. When he was sitting independantly, showing interest in food, and had lost his tongue thrust we started. We're doing BLW so it was slow at first anyway. We started at 7mo act/4.5 adj.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • I leaning also leaning towards 7 months vs. 6 months. Maybe by then she will be ready:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"