April 2012 Moms
Options

Wwyd? Heat wave

Any suggestions.... I live it ga and it got up to 107  degrees today. The ac on the house can't keep up and is frozen. Came home and it was 88 when it was set for 74! We took cold showers and have fans going. I'm in a bra and panties in bed and feel fine. Lo is in an onsie in rnp with fan on him and is sleeping good, doesn't seem hot. Thermostat still says 87. Dh is freaking out trying to fix things, pouring sweat and wanting to go buy window unit. I don't have the money and think we just need to suck it up, it will be better in a few days when it rains. He acts like this is child abuse. I don't know how to calm him down. Do you think it is too hot and we should go to hotel or something or if I'm comfortable, lo is probably fine? Any cheap suggestions to help cool house? 

Re: Wwyd? Heat wave

• Options
    I'm from VA but visiting my family in PA. They don't have AC here and it's been very warm. Right now the temp in the house is reading 82. I'm a little nervous too because my LO HAS to be swaddled to sleep. Or she hits herself in the head and wakes up non stop. We have her in a thin onsie and a muslin blanket swaddle. I think she will be fine. She isn't warm to the touch and isn't sweating. The windows are open for a breeze and the ceiling fan is on. I think your LO will be ok.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Go buy a window unit. The heat wave here isn't going to break until Thursday. It's just going to get hotter. Our small window units costs under $100 in 2007.
    Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you put a fan in the window to help cool it down, it will be cheaper. It used to be normal to have no ac's in homes back in the day so baby were fine at one point that way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We live in GA also and I have heard from several friends with A/C issues.  Ours froze up a couple weeks ago.  DH left it off for a couple hours then turned it back on.  It has worked fine since.  Good luck!  Hey - at least it's a "dry heat".  Hot is hot but it helps that the humidity is low. 
  • Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    Yep, we are in TN and having the same issue. It was 111 here this afternoon. If you can invest in the window unit, it worth it, I think. 
  • Options

Swamp cooler? https://www.instructables.com/id/home-made-air-conditioner-version-two/#step1

Close off the rooms you're not using to make the area you need to cool smaller.

Other than that, spend as much time at Starbucks and the library as possible? 

• Options

One of our window units upstairs was $100 at Walmart. If I am not mistaken a night in a hotel will cost as much or more then that so you might as well go out and get a unit.

Just to let you know we were in an unconditioned home today with my LO. We only went to check on DHs cousin who has cancer and just started Chemo and stayed for maybe 45 minutes. When I got home my LO felt hot to the touch around her trunk. I took her temp, it was 100.8 so I called the nurse. I gave her tylenol and cooled her off. It was low 90's here. I won't be letting her out in the heat again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"