Breastfeeding

BF Problems - Help!

LO is 2 weeks old, from the start we had problems.  Every time she tried to nurse, she'd fall asleep within minutes and then wake up angry.  My milk came in about 7 days post-delivery, but it quickly disappeared again because LO doesn't pull much out.  (I've obviously had to supplement with formula.)  I've been trying to pump to get my milk to come back in, but all I'm getting is like 1 ML per day.  Do I just need to give up at this point?  Is it impossible to get my milk to come back in?  Help!

Re: BF Problems - Help!

• Have you tried constant skin-to-skin contact? Just sit around completely topless with her and see if the hormonal exchange helps at all. You might also want to try waking her up/keeping her awake during feedings. Start by kind of rubbing her jaw and temple area in little firm circles when she stops sucking and if that doesn't work, try taking a cold, wet washcloth and rubbing it along her back and stomach. It'll probably tick her off but it'll hopefully help keep her awake so she keeps eating :/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not impossible.  But you need to nurse and/or pump every 2 hours.  If your LO gets a bottle of formula, were you pumping to replace that?  
  • Loading the player...
  • The first few weeks are the hardest. I agree with PP about getting in as much skin to skin time as possible and it is vital that you pump every time you give her a bottle. Are you trying to pump after breastfeeding her? Demand = supply. Also, any breastmilk you can give her is awesome! Don't give up if you're not ready to.
  • It`s DEFINITELY not too late for your milk to come back! Your body produces milk based on the level of demand, so if your baby starts nursing more, you`ll produce more milk again. Just let her nurse. 

It`s hard when you`re LO is falling asleep like that, my DD did too. It`s a phase that passes though, and then there`s no problem with them falling asleep at the breast. After your LO wakes up from their nap, change their diaper and talk with them and stimulate them. Get them good and awake. Then try nursing. 

Also, try the laid back breastfeeding position (Google it). I adore this position - it helps baby get a really good latch and draw out lots of milk, and teaches them how to latch properly in every position. It saved us! 

Is seeing a lactation consultant or a a public health nurse an option for you? Their expertise would probably be really helpful to you! While we internet folks can take a shot at diagnosing the problem and making suggestions, someone who specializes in breastfeeding that could come and see you in person would be SO much better.  

Good luck! I`m so sorry you`re struggling and I really hope it gets better for you and your daughter soon :)  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I just thought of something else :) 

Is there a La Leche League that meets in your area? Look it up and find out. The leaders are usually lactation consultants, or at least extremely experienced when it comes to breast feeding. My LLL group is just wonderful - it`s full of amazing, supportive mommies that all help one another out. You`d be able to get free, hands on advice there... plus make some new friends! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"