October 2012 Moms
Options

Is my stupidity showing?

I've heard from several people that swaddling can be slightly difficult to get down pat. Today I was going through old bins in my basement when I found my old Cabbage Patch dolls and had the GENIUS (not really) idea to practice swaddling on one of the dolls. 

Have I completely lost my mind? I haven't opened the Aden+Anais swaddle blankets yet, so feel free to stop me before I embarrass myself. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker A true Tiger

Re: Is my stupidity showing?

• Options
    DO IT!!!!!  I want to hear if it really is as hard as I have heard.  I got some sleep sacks that basically swaddle for you but I would like to try a traditional swaddle as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As a STM, its not that it's hard per say, its more that newborns are not dolls and do not hold perfectly still. Our daughter refused to be swaddled the traditional way. She was good to go as long as her arms were out but if you tried to pin them down to get them in the blanket, ya it was no bueno. I do suggest practicing to get it tight but know that it may not be that easy....

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not under any disillusion that a doll will actually be realistic. But I figured at the least, it'd provide DH and I with some entertainment. 
  • Options
    My mom taught me to swaddle my dolls after my little brother was born (I was five). I ended up swaddling the cat two years ago because he was very sick and needed to be given medicine orally. I hope swaddling my little one isn't as hard as that was.
  • Options

imagemavgirl_73:
    As a STM, its not that it's hard per say, its more that newborns are not dolls and do not hold perfectly still. Our daughter refused to be swaddled the traditional way. She was good to go as long as her arms were out but if you tried to pin them down to get them in the blanket, ya it was no bueno. I do suggest practicing to get it tight but know that it may not be that easy....

It's funny you say that about your daughter wanting her arms out. All 3 of my sister kids were the same way. Wrap them up tight but had to leave the arms out. 

• Options

imageGigglyWiggly:
    I'm not under any disillusion that a doll will actually be realistic. But I figured at the least, it'd provide DH and I with some entertainment. 

Wasnt saying you were. DH and I did it with a doll too. Just sayin it was a tad bit more difficult than we had practiced especially when you add the severe sleep deprevation and crying infant. Dont be surprised or (like me) a little disappointed if or when your DH is better at it than you. My husband was the only one who could get it really tight so that our DD was really comfy.

• Options

imageSarahW44:
    My mom taught me to swaddle my dolls after my little brother was born (I was five). I ended up swaddling the cat two years ago because he was very sick and needed to be given medicine orally. I hope swaddling my little one isn't as hard as that was.

That must have been a difficult job to swaddle the cat! I'm sure you're going to be such an expert when your baby arrives.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSarahW44:My mom taught me to swaddle my dolls after my little brother was born (I was five). I ended up swaddling the cat two years ago because he was very sick and needed to be given medicine orally. I hope swaddling my little one isn't as hard as that was.

I'd love to see a video of that!  

imagemavgirl_73:
    Wasnt saying you were. DH and I did it with a doll too. Just sayin it was a tad bit more difficult than we had practiced especially when you add the severe sleep deprevation and crying infant. Dont be surprised or (like me) a little disappointed if or when your DH is better at it than you. My husband was the only one who could get it really tight so that our DD was really comfy.

I'm actually kinda hoping he is better at it than me - just so I know I have at least 1 task that I can specifically give him.  ;) 

• Options

I practiced putting a teddy bear into the carseat, and it really helped me to feel prepared, lol...

Also, sawddling isn't that hard, really.  It only takes 1-2 times to get it right.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"