Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

do you brush your one-year-old's teeth?

if so, how?  Or do you put fluoride in their milk. Or neither, or both?

thanks.

Re: do you brush your one-year-old's teeth?

• Options

I have brushed her teeth since she turned one, before that I wiped her gums/tooth (she was slow to get teeth!).

I started with a finger brush and water then up-graded to a small brush and baby tooth and gum cleanser.  DD has always liked it so I haven't had an issue with it.

The cleanser doe not have fluoride and I don't use drops.  She does drink (gasp) tap water that is fluoridated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've brushed teeth since they started sprouting up. We use a little bit of infant toothpaste and I just have the kids open their mouths while I scrub away. The kids got fluoride when we lived somewhere the tap water was no good because they only got bottled water. Now we don't give fluoride because it's already in the water supply.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started using an infant toothbrush and water when DD turned one. Before that I always wiped her gums and couple of teeth with a wash cloth.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We started brushing DS's teeth on a regular basis at 9 months, before that it was just when we remembered. DS doesn't mind when I brush his teeth and loves when he gets to brush his own! We just sit on the floor facing each other and I brush them and then I let him "brush" them when i'm done. Definitely no fluoride in his milk.
  • Options
    MrsSRMrsSR member

Before she had teeth I'd wipe her gums down.

As soon as her first ones popped up, I started brushing.

I just use a toddler size tooth brush and training toothpaste. 

I don't use fluoride drops or fluoride toothpaste.  Our tap water has fluoride in it and we were told if DD has 6 oz. a day she's good.

• Options
    We wiped his gums with a damp cloth as soon as he started solids.  Once he had teeth we started brushing them with a small toothbrush and water.  Per our pedi's instructions, once he had 8 teeth, we started brushing them with toothpaste.  We choose a toothpaste that does not contain fluoride.  He gets a small amount of fluoride from drinking tap water. 

• Options
    I started around 12 months also. I use a toddler sized tooth brush, and put a small amount of baby toothpaste/gel. First I'll give it to her and she'll chew on it for a couple minutes while I'm brushing my teeth, and then when I'm done I'll brush hers.
  • Options

I brush DD's teeth twice per day with a tooth brush and infant toothpaste (no floride). Our dentist said no fluoridated toothpaste until they can master spitting it out.

Both of my kids get vitamins with floride because the water is not fluoridated where we live 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Why would you add fluoride to the milk?? You do realize you're not supposed to use fluoride until age 2, right? ADA Rec's
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Our tap water doesn't have any fluoride, so we were prescribed drops. We do brush her teeth before bed every night. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    shakesshakes member

Why in God's name would you put fluoride in their milk? Babies aren't even supposed to have fluoride unless otherwise specififed by a dentist (tap water aside, but most people try to avoid that also). Yes we have been brushing his teeth since he first got teeth at 4 months old. Before that I wipes his gums with a cloth. We use a kids toothbrush and toothpaste and there are no issuesm we brush morning and night.

• Options
    kje120kje120 member
    We use the kids toothbrush and baby toothpaste.  He normally lets me get a few swipes at the top and bottom and then he likes to chew on the toothbrush and do it himself. We started doing it consistently probably around a year.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We brush with a brush and training toothpaste every night. Before that we just used a special infant brush. It was kind of spiked. DS has lots of teeth though. He's got 12 that I can see right now.
    Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"