Infertility Veterans
Options

Loss ladies, tell me about your miscarriage

My one and only loss prior to this was a chemical.  My beta was only 38 at its highest point, and AF arrived within a week of it being declared over.  To say it was easy physically would be an understatement.

The doctor really believes my current pregnancy is not viable.  I am 6w3d today, and my beta yesterday was 3874.  Is there a chance once they take me off progesterone that I can miscarry naturally?  When do I need to worry about things like Cytotec or a D&C?  I'm going to ask on the miscarriage board as well, but I thought I would ask the ladies I am closest to.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Loss ladies, tell me about your miscarriage

• Options
    I miscarried a wk after u, and I was given a choice but my re rec-Ed a d&c.  I'd defxhoose it again.  I sounds like u have a blighted ovum, like I did.  It can takes wks for it to happen naturally. My d&c was very easy and I felt totally fine physically.  Knowing It was done, helped me heal emotionally...which is the hard part. Huge hugs and I'm so sorry. 
  • Options
    reb259reb259 member
    No experience...but sorry beyond words!! big hugs!!
    I am AMA and all tests on H came back normal
    3 failed IVF with OE and 2 failed frozen DE cycles
    Last fresh hail mary DE cycle starting Feb 2013
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagevanessagorc:
    I miscarried a wk after u, and I was given a choice but my re rec-Ed a d&c.  I'd defxhoose it again.  I sounds like u have a blighted ovum, like I did.  It can takes wks for it to happen naturally. My d&c was very easy and I felt totally fine physically.  Knowing It was done, helped me heal emotionally...which is the hard part. Huge hugs and I'm so sorry. 

In a blighted ovum, can you still see the embryo?  My doctor did find the little one on the ultrasound yesterday.  It just didn't have a heartbeat.

• Options
    imagejlcrane78:

imagevanessagorc:

In a blighted ovum, can you still see the embryo?  My doctor did find the little one on the ultrasound yesterday.  It just didn't have a heartbeat.

they saw the yolk an sac for me, but never a hb. My chart says missed mc, but the re called it a blighted ovum. 
  • Options

I am so so sorry and heartbroken for you. Hugest hugs! We had no heartbeat and scheduled a suction and evacuation after a week to confirm the situation. This procedure is supposed to minimally impact your ute. I had no signs at all of miscarrying naturally and I was glad to move forward as quickly as possible. 

+++
  • Options

I had a D&C both times at 10 weeks. The first RE just said that was the plan. I had to fight to have the 2nd one. He wanted it to be natrual, but I had none since 6 weeks that the baby wasn't going to make it no matter how hard I prayed. He really wanted me just to take pills, but said it could take a week or more. I just coudn't deal with it. I had work and it was just too awful to wait and know my baby died already. At the time my insurance paid for pretty much all of the D&C. The first was one $$$ for some reason. Now I would have to pay 4k to get one just to meet our stupid ass detuctible, not sure I would do it then since I am not working and could just sit at home.

I am so so sorry for you. It's so unfair. I was so happy for you. I just can't believe it.

I am still praying that you get a miracle even though I know it's very unlikely. Hugs.

PAIF and SAIF Always Welcome!
    TTC since 2007
    6 IUIs, 3 IVFs, and 2 m/c :< PCOS, Blood Clotting Disorder & MFI
    IVF #2 Aug 2011 is a BFN:<
    IVF #3 March 2012 is a BFN
    Not sure what to do now. Sad and lost.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Huge hugs sweetie.  This is not what I wanted to read today.  I was praying this was your sticky baby.  I'm so sorry you are going through this.  My loss was at 18w and I went into preterm labor, so no advice for you.  I basically needed a d&c with mine.  I think if I didnt require a d&c, but it was an option I'd rather choose that and get it over with if that was going to happen anyway.  T&ps are with you and your little one- still hoping you've got a fighter in there. 

TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
    IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
    IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
    Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
    IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
    Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
    Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
    IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
    IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
    ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
    Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
    IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
    IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
    **P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

I am so, so sorry. It is such a gut-wrenching experience. I was found to have a missed m/c at nearly 10 weeks. I had the option to take Cytotec or do a d&c. I went ahead and did a d&c, as I didn't want to go through that at home. I was able to bounce back ( physically) quickly. Again, I am truly sorry, and wish you only the best. Hugs. 

• Options
    My m/c was at 7w 3d. I had started bleeding, but there was still a hb, so I wasn't given the option of a d&c. I ended up losing the pg a few days later. I wish though that I had been given that option....it took 3 weeks for my beta to drop, I ended up in the ER for blood loss 2days after I lost the baby, and I bled for over 35 days. I am so sorry you are going through this, but I really hope your process goes quickly. You can always ask your ER what he reccommends to see if he gives you options, or if he wants your body to try on its own first. Huge hugs to you....I am so sorry!
    2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
    IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
    7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
    <a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view
  • Options

I'm so sorry.  (((hugs)))

I was 8w3d when we went in for a 2nd u/s and had no heartbeat.  It was a Thursday, and I stopped progesterone right away.  I was scheduled for a D&C on the following Wednesday, but miscarried naturally early on Sunday morning.  Somehow, my body just "knew" once I stopped the progesterone.

Thinking of you.

Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LaLe09LaLe09 member

I'm really, really sorry that you are going through this. :( It's so unfair.

For my first m/c, there was nothing on US, just rising betas so I had the methotrexate shot. For my 2nd, I had a blighted ovum. There was a sac, yolk sac, but no embryo. I had a D&C at 8.5 wks. I chose it b/c I wanted genetic testing done. Although also at the time I just wanted it to be over with. I felt like I had waited long enough considering they told me they thought i'd miscarry after my 2nd beta. There are pro's and con's to all decisions. I hope you and your DH can make the one that is best for you. Sending over hugs.

DH: Severe MFI/Azoo Me: Compound heterozygous MTHFR
    IVF #1= m/c- methotrexate @6w2d
    FET #1= BFN
    IVF #2= m/c- D&C @8w5d
    IVF #3= Beta #1 9dp5dt= 252, Beta #2 11dp5dt= 417, Beta #3 17dp5dt= 4,952
    US #2 @ 7w2d= twins, baby B measuring behind
    US #3 @ 8w5d= Baby A doing well, no HR in baby B
    *S/PAIF always welcome* BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

:( I'm so sorry. My loss was at 8w after multiple ultrasounds that the baby had a heartbeat, but I'd been bleeding for two weeks at that point and was just so over everything. The midwives gave me the option of wait and see, starting the M/C with cytotec, or D&C.

Wait and see sounded horrifying to me since it can take weeks to happen, and same for the cytotec since you can wind up still needing a D&C due to retained tissue. My choice was D&C so it was over and done. 

Big big hugs - I'm around if you need to vent.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry.  Big hugs.  At 7 weeks, I was hoping to m/c naturally, and in fact after a week of waiting I started to.  Unfortunately my hCG just wasn't falling, so about three weeks later I had methotrexate.  More waiting, more bleeding on and off.  Start to finish when my hCG finally hit 0, it was 40 days.  A month later during a diagnostic hysteroscopy to clear me for our next cycle, the RE discovered I had an incomplete miscarriage.  So, I ultimately had a D&C to remove placenta tissue.  :(. Knowing what I know now, I would have immediately chosen a D&C as opposed to going through hell for several months with no relief.  More hugs coming at ya.  
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options

((hugs))  I've had two c/p's... a sorta c/p (I was 5w3d and had a worse than normal period, but nothing too bad).  Then I had the 5w5d m/c which had a lot of bleeding.... for like two weeks that started before they took me off progesterone.  My betas dropped pretty quickly into the low hundreds then kind of stalled.  I had a the last of the two c/p's right after that and two betas 48 hrs apart that didn't go anywhere despite my bleeding forced me into a D/C... which sucked, but I was also awake!  But it was pretty much over after that

I dont' think that is going to be very helpful in your situation.  I'm so sorry sweetie

TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Options
    It is definitely possible that you will miscarry naturally after you stop the progesterone,  but it's a matter of how long you are willing to wait. Personally, I would wait a week or 10 days after stopping the prog to see if anything happens on its own (also during this time you could have serial monitoring of your hcg, e2, and prog to see that the levels are decreasing). The good thing about a d&c of course is that the whole thing is over in a much shorter, contained period of time, but the disadvantage is that a d&c can cause scarring and adhesions that can have a negative impact on your fertility and more rarely even cause cervical damage that could contribute to IC during a future pregnancy. If you do need an intervention to complete the m/c, I would still choose a d&c over cytotec. I had cytotec for my missed m/c at 7.5 wks and it was a horrible experience. I am so so sorry you are in this situation. (((hugs)))
    IUIs #1-3 (1x unmedicated, 2x Clomid) = 2 BFNs, 1 m/c at 7w3d
    IUIs #4-6 (injects) = 3 BFNs
    IVF #1 = BFN
    FET #1 = BFN
    FET #2 = BFN
    IVF #2 = BFP, b/g twins lost at 20w due to partial abruption/PPROM
    IVF #3 = c/p 5w2d
    Long-shot Clomid/Prednisone cycle before next IVF = BFP, our beautiful, healthy girl born 6/26/13!
    ~~
    TTC again March 2014
    FET #3 - May/June 2014
    -
    all embryos arrested before xfer - back to the drawing board...
    IVF #4 - July/August 2014 
    beta 1 (11dp3dt) 220, beta 2 (13dp3dt) 671, beta 3 (19dp3dt) 10762
  • Options
    I dont have experience with m/c's, but this beyond unfortunate news makes me mad...and so sad. Why? Why? Why? I am so sorry, Jen. My heart breaks for you.

Countless BFN(s)
    Moving to IVF

IVF1 (ICSI): Long Lupron
    6R. 3F. 3DT. 8Cell 1Grade 2Embies. 1Frostie.
    Beta 1/22: 14 Beta 1/24: 24 Beta 1/26: 28
    Round One Result: Chemical Pregnancy

Pressing Forward

IVF2 (ICSI/AH/ACU): Microdose Lupron Flare
    13R. 11F. 5DT. 2TFR'ed. 1Frostie.
    Round Two Result 4/30: Harsh BFN

FET. 2TFR'ed.
    Round Three Result 6/25: BFN
    Where do we go from here?

Moving forward with CCRM in 2013
    ODWU revealed blocked tube(s). Lap 2/15.
    Bilateral Tubal Ligation. Stage IV Endo.
    Finally some (tough) answers.

IVF3 (ICSI/CCS): Antagonist with EPP
    13R. We have 3 CCS Normal Embryos!

Lupron Depot: May 2013 to August 2013
    Long awaited FET on 9/3. 2TFR'ed.
    BFP on FRER 5dp5dt: IN SHOCK!
    Beta1 9/10: 152.7! Beta2 9/12: 378! Beta3 9/14: 1224! 

1st ultrasound 10/1: TWO beautiful heartbeats!  Overjoyed!

• Options
    i just want to send you more hugs.  this is so hard, and so f*n unfair :(   Both my losses were early - my first around where you are now, I passed naturally but it was pretty painful physically and emotionally...i would choose the D&C if given the choice.
    S/PAIFW
    Tara & Dave - TTC since September 2006
    PCOS - dx 1999 (amenorrhea) | freakishly long fallopian tubes
    Hypoglycemic | thyroid issues | severely anemic
    Multiple Clomid cycles of 50, 100, 150 - absolutely no response
    Follistim 50/100 | Follistim 75/125 | Follistim 100/150 IUI - all BFNs
    Converted IVF - BFP - m/c | FET - BFN | IVF #2 = BFN
    IVF #3
  • Options

I'm so sorry for your loss Sweetie.  Ugh...this just isn't fair!

I don't think I'll be much help...I miscarried naturally in  my bathroom and there was nothing my RE had to do for me.

You'll be in my thoughts that this already horrible experience goes as painlessly as possible.

(((HUGS))) 

• Options

I'm so sorry.  HUGS!  I will say that my D&C physically was not painful and recovered well-initially I was very nervous,  but it went fine.  I spotted for a couple days, but that was it.

For my miscarriage at 6 weeks they couldn't see a sac,  so I was given methotrexate. It wasn't super painful, but I did bleed for a while.

TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    emcaemca member
    I have miscarried 9 times, so I am sadly an expert in this department.  4 of them were chemical pregnancies and were exactly what you described.  5 of them were between 6 and 8 weeks.  I only had to have one D&C.  The others I actually just started bleeding pretty quickly.  Most of the others were blighted ovums.  There was never a baby or a hearbeat, just a small empty sac.  I would opt for a D&C if there was no sign of a natural miscarriage.  It was not a terrible procedure and it was a relief to feel physically fine the next day.  Everyone is totally different, but my miscarriages usually happened pretty quickly.  Also, I am so, so sorry you are going through this.  It sucks and I wish it wouldn't happen to anyone!  Huge hugs. 

After 1 IUI, 3 IVF's with CGH/CCS testing, 10 early miscarriages, and lots of tears and frustration, we are moving on to Domestic Infant Adoption!  We are so excited to see what the future holds.

• Options
    I delivered the twins and with the one we lost this pregnancy we are leaving in so I don't have any advice.  I am really sorry sweets, still praying for your miracle.  ((hugs))
    TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"