September 2012 Moms
Options

Sip and See Party

Its time to start planning my Sip/See Party for after this baby is born. Do any of you make invitations? party decorations? I'm sure i can find stuff on etsy or through facebook but figured i would ask here as well..

Hope everyone is feeling great and staying hydrated.. Esepcially those of you in NJ/NY with this heat again today..

Re: Sip and See Party

• Options

I have never heard of this. What is a sip and see party? 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didnt have a shower with my daugther..and not having one for this baby.. Its an excuse to have a party.. lo key.. having it here.. Drink/Aps and friends can bring there kids.. Sip (drinks) and See (come meet the baby)..i first saw it on the Real House wives of atlanta
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Could do a tea party
    photo photo_zps4ea6bdf2.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm surprised so many haven't heard of it - they're big in the south.  

That said, I didn't/wouldn't want one.  The very last thing I felt like doing after bringing home a new baby was planning a party, even just doing DS's baptism party when he was 2 months was a stretch.  And I wouldn't be keen on having one in Oct/Nov for a Sept baby - flu season would be starting up and I don't want my baby passed around at a party full of people. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

i'm really surprised that this isn't a wider known thing. 

my mom is hosting a baby shower for me at the end of July for family and close friends, and then my church is hosting me a sip'n'see after Marian is born. i'm not planning either of them myself...i was under the impression that sip'n'sees were still not supposed to be planned by the mom...

hmm. maybe i missed something there.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Marian Abigail :: born 9-16-2012 via emergency C/S
    BFP on 11-14-2014, aiming for a VBAC

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    In Texas, it's okay for the mom to plan/host the sip and see as long as gifts aren't requested/expected. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options

imageLLBean2012:
    In Texas, it's okay for the mom to plan/host the sip and see as long as gifts aren't requested/expected. 

I've lived in Texas my whole life, and I've never heard of this.

We're just going to tell people to come by one Saturday if they want to whenever they can. Just an open door thing. 

Vroom, vroom.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Planning Bio | Married Bio | Blog

• Options

Sounds like a cute idea. When do you plan on doing the party?

And OMFG its brutal here. We just got back from OC MD last night and I am dying. We have a party today and tomorrow both outdoors, waahh!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm pretty torn about this. I kinda want to have one, but it will depend on the state of our house and such. Several people have offered to throw me a shower (4 to date!) and I've said no to all of them due to second child and the fact that I only have 2 family members and 3 non-mom friends in this entire state.

I'd be down for a Sip 'n See, but seriously doubt we could manage it without help. My mom will be visiting (hopefully) a few weeks after birth...maybe when she is here?

If we did do a Sip 'n See, it would be really basic. Facebook invites, very basic h'ourdeurves and drinks. 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm contemplating a "meet the baby party" after baby has arrived.  We have lots of friends that are going to want to meet the baby, and instead of having stragglers in and out over a few week long period I think I would rather have 1 day of "organized chaos" and call it a day. 

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Options
    imagemlf625:

I'm surprised so many haven't heard of it - they're big in the south.  

That said, I didn't/wouldn't want one.  The very last thing I felt like doing after bringing home a new baby was planning a party, even just doing DS's baptism party when he was 2 months was a stretch.  And I wouldn't be keen on having one in Oct/Nov for a Sept baby - flu season would be starting up and I don't want my baby passed around at a party full of people. 

Word. For the first 2or so months after we brought her home, I was topless and sleep deprived 95% of the time. If I took a shower, it was a good day. No way I would want to clean house, host a party and pass my small baby around to tons of people who god only knows what viruses they are haboring. Plus inviting their germy daycare/school kids who are pretty much walking cold factories? No effin way.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options

imageLLBean2012:

Interesting--I'm in Texas (Austin) and these are very popular in my circle for 2+ babies, but same rules apply as a shower in that I can't imagine someone throwing one for themselves. It would get a major side eye from the people I know. I think the issue is that people always bring gifts and it would look gift grabby.  

photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member

I'm surprised how many people haven't heard of this either. It is just a meet the baby party at your house (without gifts).

As far as invites, I think it depends on your circle. We did simple invites for our Open House party when we bought our house in TX. I made them myself.  

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

Isnt a shower for gifts.. ive been to plenty of showers..and have gotten nothing in return.. I didnt have a shower for my daugther besides the small basket at work that coworkers gave me.. how is this differnt then a baby shower where you get gifts????

BTW i asked if anyone makes invites..that was it for this post.. not if you heard of it..i was trying to give the money/business to someone on here ...

Its going to be at my house.. and most of you im sure have had a baby shower..or are having one NOW if not soon..

• Options
    and im sure your having a huge shower and will not use half the stuff you get
  • Options

So, I think there are definitely some caveats to Sip and See Parties. For instance, I was 36 weeks pregnant and we had a house fire where we lost everything. I had just had my baby shower the Tuesday before the fire on the following Saturday. We have received donations for our daughter but his family hasn't had the opportunity to spoil the first born girl in the family because they live in Colorado (we are in IL).

For that, even sans fire, I believe that with family in two different states, it would be acceptable to have a shower and also a sip and see to celebrate and help with anything that wasn't received.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"