Multiples

Feeding schedule ?

So our girls will be 6 weeks tomorrow.  Right now we're on the 3 hour schedule (which stinks) except for at night, where we wait until they wake up to feed them.  

When do we move them to a feeding schedule that's spaced further apart with more food in a feeding?  They're eating about 4 oz every feeding.  We breast feed with one formula feeding at night (just because it's difficult to keep up with feeding two babies).  

This is all still pretty new - we've got most of it figured out, but this we're still not sure about.   Any advice?

Re: Feeding schedule ?

• MrsLntMrsLnt member

We were able to get ours to 3.5 hours early on, but didn't get to a 4 hour schedule until 5 months old. 

I know it's exhausting but, I'd focus on keeping the 3 hour schedule during the day and getting the calories in during awake hours with the goal of stretching out the night feedings. Mine were exclusively formula fed and were 11w 3d old when they stopped eating in the middle of the night. We did an 11pm dreamfeed until they were around 7 months old.

Hang in there! The 6 week mark is a low point for lots of MoMs because of the extreme sleep deficit you are in, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  

• I know it sucks especially when they still wake a few times at night, but 3 hour feeding schedule pretty much stay for long time. Sometimes my girls will go 4 hours but not every feeding.  Once they sleep all night the 3 hours during the day doesn't seem so bad.  
    IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • We started on a 2.5-3 hour schedule. By two months we were on a 4 hour schedule during the day, and I think they were both taking 4 oz. at a time. At night we feed them when they woke up, which usually was 12 a.m. and 3 a.m.

Now at almost four months old my DS is taking 6.5-7 oz. bottles and my DD is taking 5.5-6 oz. bottles (she is a little smaller than DS). Their schedule is 5 a.m., 9 a.m., 1 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. I have to wake them for the 5 a.m. bottle since I've gone back to work but I don't want to drop them off at daycare hungry and I like the time with them in the morning. On the weekends they go back in their cribs after the 5 a.m. bottle and sleep until about 8:30 a.m. They get their last bottle at 7 p.m. and are sleeping by 7:30 p.m. They dropped one of the middle of the night bottles around 2 months and around 3 months were sleeping through the night.  

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I still do about 3 hours during the day and they go 9 hours overnight without eating. I EBF so I'm nervous to stretch them out more because I don't know how much they take in per feeding. It's working for us so I don't want to mess with a good thing.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • srbmvpsrbmvp member
    Consider yourself lucky with 3 hours, mine eat every 2 during the day and still eat a few times at night too. I'm exhausted and hardly ever leave the house!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for all the feedback!  : )  That helps a lot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"