February 2013 Moms
Options

What I Learned from TB Last Time Around

There are so many things I heard about on TB when my DD was a newborn that I didn't know about until it was too late so I am definitely going to get the following for the newest LO:

* Rock 'n Play - we had SO much trouble getting DD to sleep and the Dec Moms swore by this thing!

* White Noise Machine / Seahorse toy - we always held DD under the oven fan.  It was exhasting

* Moby Wrap / some kind of GOOD baby-wearing device.  I got a cheap one that didn't work well and never ended up using it.  :-/

Do YOU have any great suggestions of Must-Have items for when our LOs come out? 

Married 7/10/2009 * DD 12/2/2010 * DS 4/24/2014
2 babies in heaven (mc)

Blog: ForLoveofCupcakes.com

Re: What I Learned from TB Last Time Around

• Options
    imagecupcakes710:

There are so many things I heard about on TB when my DD was a newborn that I didn't know about until it was too late so I am definitely going to get the following for the newest LO:

* Rock 'n Play - we had SO much trouble getting DD to sleep and the Dec Moms swore by this thing!

* White Noise Machine / Seahorse toy - we always held DD under the oven fan.  It was exhasting

* Moby Wrap / some kind of GOOD baby-wearing device.  I got a cheap one that didn't work well and never ended up using it.  :-/

You pretty much hit all of my favs!  I lovelovelove the mobile we got that projects images on the ceiling.  DD is 20 months and is STILL mesmerized by it every night.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Absolutely get a Moby.  Get the real deal.  It's worth it.  I freaking love that thing. And the only other thing was her swing that rocks and plays music.  DD loved it.  Later when she got older I got an Ergo as a hand-me-down and that was a great replacement for the Moby now that she's bigger/heavier.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't say enough good things about the Ergo. I'm not sure how well it works for a newborn, though, because we started using it when DS was about 4-5 months old. 

Personally the Moby didn't work for me. I think it was because it was summer in TX and just too darn hot. That and by the time I got the fabric situated, he wanted out of there. I've still got it though, and I'll give it a college try with this one.

From TB, I learned about:

-Sophie the giraffe. I didn't buy it, my MIL did. I think it's overrated, but DS was in *love* with it for a day, so I dunno.

- Rock N Play. Definitely considering getting one this time around.

There are probably more, but I can't think of them now. 

• Options
    imageMcAllie5:

I can't say enough good things about the Ergo. I'm not sure how well it works for a newborn, though, because we started using it when DS was about 4-5 months old. 

Personally the Moby didn't work for me. I think it was because it was summer in TX and just too darn hot. That and by the time I got the fabric situated, he wanted out of there. I've still got it though, and I'll give it a college try with this one.

From TB, I learned about:

-Sophie the giraffe. I didn't buy it, my MIL did. I think it's overrated, but DS was in *love* with it for a day, so I dunno.

- Rock N Play. Definitely considering getting one this time around.

There are probably more, but I can't think of them now. 

Oh yeah - Sophie!!  I bought one (crazy pricey!) and totally agree with you - she loved it the first day but it is completely overrated.  A lot of people gave it rave reviews though so it probably depends on the baby.  :) 

2 babies in heaven (mc)

• Options
    Camilia for teething. That stuff was a lifesaver. I wish I had known about it for DD. I will make sure I have a good supply way in advance!
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I too will be getting the Rock 'n Play this time around.

The seahorse...eh, was a wash for us.  He actually LOVES Scout a lot more!  

And white noise machine, don't waste your money.  We just bought a fan (smaller, dresser top one).  It was great for white noise and we still use it to this day.  I'll get another fan for this little guy/girl.  

• Options

We actually LOVE sophie.  My son chewed on that thing for months. I get it as a gift for all my pregnant friends because it is hard to justify 20 bucks for a plastic giraffe when you have more pressing baby need.  It's like a baby drug in this house.

More of a what not to buy is 100 + bucks of baby bedding.  We only used the sheets.  I donated all his other bedding because I know we wont use it again.

BFP #1 5/13 - chemical 5/19 4 weeks 6 days BFP #2 6/14 EDD - 2/24 Please Stick!!!! BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagedrlnpaul:

More of a what not to buy is 100 + bucks of baby bedding.  We only used the sheets.  I donated all his other bedding because I know we wont use it again.

ITA I only use the sheets too 

2 babies in heaven (mc)

• Options

We love the Rock n Sleep.  DD slept in that thing for the first 5 months.  My parents even bought one for their house.

I love my Maya Wrap and Ergo carriers.  Even now the Ergo makes it possible to cook dinner, do the dishes, do the laundry, etc.  I just strap her to my back and go.  Half the time she falls asleep.

Mommy to Violet 4/4/2011 and Linnea 2/10/2013
    Anniversary
  • Options
    imagecupcakes710:
    imagedrlnpaul:

ITA I only use the sheets too 

And plain sheets at that.  We got some with cute patterns, but there were several months it was a baaaaad idea to use them.  P thought it was play time & kept playing with the patterns instead of napping!  haha
  • Options
    imagecupcakes710:

Moby is the only one of those that we ever got. For us we could not survive without Sophie or the Boppy.  We never used the Boppy for breastfeeding but to prop the baby up some.  At this stage my must haves are the mesh feeder and anything he can bang on.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sophie, the Seahorse, and a fan for white noise where all huge hits in our house. The last two we still use every night.

I'm definitely considering getting the Rock n Play, but may just wait and see how good of a sleeper this baby is before investing. DS slept in his vibrating bouncer a lot the first few weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

The only thing I think I used that I learned about from TB was A&A blankets.  I really love them!

The Moby and Ergo I love, but I didn't learn about them on here.  Definitely worth it though imo!  

We didn't have a Rock N Play and I'm kind of glad because I always read tons of posts about how hard it was to transition LO from the Rock N Play to a crib later on (obviously not always the case, but I saw this a ton).  DD always slept in her bassinet until she was 4 months old, then we moved her to the crib. No problem. Might have been different if she'd had reflux though.

We didn't have the seahorse either, but did use a white noise app on my cell phone for a few months.  I'm not sure it helped her fall asleep really.  

Sophie the Giraffe was a gift and DD isn't too excited by her.  She'll spend some time gnawing on her, but it's never been a favorite.  Not even with teething so far.  I would never buy Sophie myself.  DD much prefers the teething rings you can stick in the freezer.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Making a mental note of all of these!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"