Breastfeeding
Options

Somebody reassure me please. :,-(

5 weeks postpartum after a c section with general anesthesia.  To make a very long story short, I have been diagnosed with pneumonia and costochondritis (infection in rib cartilage).  Then today diagnosed with mastitis in my right breast.  I have been put on zithromax for pneumonia, dicloxacillin for the breast infection, and then fluconazole just in case I get a yeast infection from the other antibiotics.  I cannot simply understand why pharmacist and dr.'s are not that worried.  Has anyone ever gone through something like this?  I am so nervous for my baby.  :(  Also would you wait until you got the yeast infection to take the fluconazole, or take now as instructed.  I don't want all this to affect my poor baby, but I am too stubborn to give up breastfeeding 5 weeks in.  :(

TIA 

Re: Somebody reassure me please. :,-(

• Options

Alright, I did a little bit of on line research and this is the information I came up with. The second two medications are considered safe for breastfeeding as the amount that would be transferred through breast milk is less than a safe dose for a baby. Zithromax has fewer studies done on it but is considered acceptable for use while breastfeeding. Here is the information I found on it. https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~wsoSAx:1  Azithromycin is another name for it. Both it and dicloxacillin could potentially lead to yeast infections (including thrush) so taking the fluconazole makes sense since a yeast infection could negatively affect your breastfeeding relationship.

At this point, what it looks like is that your best bet is to take all the medications as prescribed. You definitely need to get healthy! Your baby will be just fine. The health benefits of your breast milk still appear to significantly outweigh the risks of exposure to the various medications. Congratulations on toughing it out through what sounds like a miserable first few weeks! It'll get better soon! Hang in there!

If your baby starts to have pretty loose stools, that seems like it's a normal side effect of the medication and is unlikely to be a cause for concern. Just wanted to add that. Good luck!

• Options
    OH MY GOSH!!! You poor thing! I have had mastitis twice and it was awful, I can't imagine adding anything else plus being only 5 weeks PP. I would trust your Dr.'s and get better! REST, let others take care of you.... just feed your baby any chance you can get to keep breasts drained (good for mastitis), also drink LOTS of water... meds can effect your milk production, plus it helps flush everything out. Hope you heal soon!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies.  I am so sad about it and feel like everything is against me right now.  :(
  • Options

If you're not sure about taking medications you can always contact your local La Leche League Leaders.   They usually have access to the most recent Mother's Milk and Medication by Dr. Hale which can list the safety of medications.   Unfortunately it's a weekend otherwise you can go to www.infantrisk.com which has a number you can call to check a medication's safety.   Infantrisk is run by Dr. Hale whom is the leading authority on medications and breastmilk. var fctb_tool=null; function rfUOdcAN9u1H(t) { fctb_tool=t; start(fctb_tool); }

• Options

I wanted to second two of the suggestions here...  Call the infant risk helpline to get some reassuring info on Monday.  They are great.  I called this week!

Also def take some probiotics, which will also help fight yeast.

I have taken diflucan for bad thrush, and am on a zpack right now.  Both have been fine for us, as have other antibiotics.

I am so so sorry you are going through such a tough time!  Stay in bed, nurse as much as possible for the mastitis, and rest!  I hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    my advice is for sure take the fluconazole. fight the yeast to not get it. thrush is awful to go trough for nursing mom and baby. and its hard to fight once you have it. i had it for over 6 months
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"