February 2012 Moms
Options

Not ready for solids?

So we were told we could start solids this week, which made me so excited! We tried on Wednesday, and got some funny faces but overall I thought it was a success. Yesterday and today however have been totally different. He'll move his head from side to side to avoid the spoon, he'll close his mouth and wont open at all so I can feed him. Whatever gets in his mouth he'll swallow too (but doesn't look happy about it). He doesn't really get fussy, he more just seems like he's running out of patience. Are these signs he's not ready for solids yet? I certainly don't want to force it, but I don't know if this is normal behavior when babies first learn how to eat from a spoon.
Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Not ready for solids?

• Options
    From what I've read, avoiding the spoon is a sign they aren't ready. Maybe try again in a week or two?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker peri-partum cardio myopathy survivor
  • Options
    I would wait.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DD was not like this at all, we started solids this week too!

The first day it was play with the food and spit it out, repeat.

The second day she played a little but ate about half of what I was giving her.

yesterday was the best day, day 4. She was actually leaning into the spoon, smiling and eatting most of it. I would try and catch the food that didnt make it into her mouth and she would move her head to put the spoon in her mouth again.

try again in a few weeks if you dont think he is ready

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've tried 4x and Delaney just keeps pushing it out with her tongue. That was last week. I may try again next week. I'm in no hurry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'll try again in a few weeks
    Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    fraseyfrasey member
    we had the same thing happen today. She let me put a tiny bit in her mouth and she swallowed it, but didn't want anything to do with the rest. We'll try again next week. I divided the rest of the jar up into ice cube trays and froze them, so that we didn't waste the jar. We plan on making our own food, but thought buying a jar would be good to start with.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Eli liked to spit it out at me, but he never avoided the spoon. I'd wait and try maybe in a week or so.
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"