Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

There is light at the end for the Acid Reflux baby :)

This is the first time I have posted and wanted to share my experience with those whose babies (and Mom?s) are going through the same thing.

I have to say I really struggled with my baby this time (I have 2 other girls, 24yrs and 15yrs, yes YEARS, lol) so this wasn?t my first time at the rodeo. 

My DH and I had been trying to conceive for 12yrs (I had PCOS and my weight made it VERY difficult to conceive).  We had gotten pregnant once before and lost the baby in the 6th month of my pregnancy when her heart stopped. We finally got pregnant again and had our beautiful baby girl Ella on 03/07/2012.

When I brought her home from the hospital I noticed she was excessively gassy (gas is normal for a LO).  I was EBF at that time.  I could actually hear her tummy churning.  She was extremely fussy and I just chocked it up to colic.  She would arch her back, grunt, cough and have the hiccups ALL the time especially 20 after eating.  She also started throwing up (not spitting up) most of what she was eating.  She would scream from 6pm to 12am.  I had never had a colicky baby before (I guess I just thought it was my time to finial experience this).  I could tell she was in such PAIN (you could just tell from her expressions and body language), but every thing I tried would only work for a short time.  I stopped FB?ing and went to FF?ing(I thought my milk was decreasing due to lack of caloric intake, I had LapBand surgery back in 2008 so my food intake is limited).  I ended up taking her to her Ped?s in tears (her?s and mine) and she was dignosed with Reflux.  I tried so many things and switched to so many different formulas here is what worked for me.

Dr. Browns Bottles and formula mixing pitcher ? The bottles are a pain in the A** but they do work and come in both wide and standard nipples.  My DD only really took to the standard nipple, she would get to much air from wide nipples (I tried Tommy Tippie and Playtex Drop in Bottles, they didn?t work for us).  The Dr Browns Formula mixing Pitcher works great to eliminate the bubbles from the formula and you can mix a 24 hours worth and store in the fridge.

Formula ? The best I found was Gerber Good Start Gentle, we tried soooooo many formula (Similac Sensitive & Alimentum, Enfamil PREMIUM Newborn, Gentlease, Nutramigen, ProSobee, NONE of these worked for us, either my DD had worse gas or she didn?t like the taste and refused to eat or got really constipated).  The Good Start Gentle really has been a god sent to us, my DD really likes the taste, poops like a champ and gas is down to a minimum.

Crib Wedge ? Goes under the crib sheet to elevate one end of the crib, helps with the Reflux.  Reflux baby shouldn?t sleep flat as it causes the acid to back up in their throats.

Zantac ? I REALLY DIDN?T want to put my baby on meds but it has been such a day and night change!!!  She is no long in pain and that is really the most important thing.

aden + anais - cotton muslin swaddles blankets, these are the BEST for swaddling and perfect for summertime!!!

I know you are trying everything out there for your baby and maybe the above things I have tried might help your baby also.  Just remember that you are doing everything you can, you and your baby are still learning each others language. It will take awhile too figure out exactly what your baby is telling you is wrong with them.  Good Luck

Re: There is light at the end for the Acid Reflux baby :)

• Options
    Thank you for sharing! That gives me some hope and some good ideas to try. Our little boy is 2 months old and going through the same thing. 
  • Options
    My 2 month LO has reflux too. Been on Zantac since 1 month never 100% golden. Our pedi switched thurs to mylanta haven't fully decided if it helps. Reflux is def hard you just want them comfortable all the time. I've done everything you have just wish there was a easy fix. GL with your LO hope all stays good
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"