Attachment Parenting
Options

Facing out in a carrier

I lurk this board a lot but haven't posted much (at all?). I remember a post recently outlining why it's best not to face your baby out while wearing him, but I don't remember the reasoning. Can someone repost or give me the general idea? DS is just now getting really interested in the world around him, and the other day he was being very fussy in the Beco. I faced him out just to see what would happen, and he calmed down immediately. Maybe it was just the change, but I think he liked the better view. But I don't want to do it if there are legitimate reasons not to. Any help? Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Facing out in a carrier

• Options
    Awesome, thank you. I'll take a look.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with all those reasons (science and all that). I have recently discovered a good compromise for my family. I use a ring sling primarily and there is a kangaroo hold that has baby's legs tucked up in the carrier in front of them. It's not for long term carries at all but I wore my girl that way while picking blueberries the other day and it was great. When she got overwhelmed I turned her back around and she fell asleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    While I'm familiar with the list of reasons not to (and was at the time this was relevant), my daughter hated facing in for months and was fine facing out.  It was clearly distressing to her to be facing in and not be able to see what was going on around her even though she could hear it.  So, while we didn't have her forward facing for extended periods of time, we did it when we needed to, probably up to half an hour every day, some weeks.  You do what you have to do, taking into consideration the risks as they pertain to your situation.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for sharing your experiences. With the Beco Gemini it doesn't seem that his legs are dangling - he still seems to have a "seat." So maybe that particular issue isn't as bad with that carrier? Anyway, I will try to keep him content facing me but find compromises on days when he just won't have it. 

• Options

imageTiffanyBerry:
    While I'm familiar with the list of reasons not to (and was at the time this was relevant), my daughter hated facing in for months and was fine facing out.  It was clearly distressing to her to be facing in and not be able to see what was going on around her even though she could hear it.  So, while we didn't have her forward facing for extended periods of time, we did it when we needed to, probably up to half an hour every day, some weeks.  You do what you have to do, taking into consideration the risks as they pertain to your situation.

This. I've never had my son get overwhelmed in the Beco facing out but he sure as hell stresses when I make him face me. He pushes me and whips his head back and forth to try and see everything. The only time he can face me is to sleep.  

**Meagan** Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I did a high back carry in a mei tai when he was small, and then moved on to back carries as soon as he was able, instead. None of the carriers I have face out.

Babies are different. I'm sure we all do some of the things that are "bad" (like I owned a jumperoo!), but you try to balance it all out to minimize risk of harm.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"