1st Trimester

hoping this isn't a stupid-flame-worthy ??

I thought it would be most appropriate to ask here since you ladies are ku. And if I'm stupid, I apologize in advance...

So, I understand that pms and pg symptoms are similar and you cannot always distinguish between the two. I also understand that every cycle in different. And that once you are having real pg symptoms than you are able to get bfp. With that being said...

If you are having what is your body's "typical" PMS symptoms during your 2ww, is that evidence that you are having a normal cycle which will end with AF or does it not matter at all?

Does that question make sense? What I've never really thought about is if your body/hormones "proceed as normal" until implantation or if there are other small changes that are happening that you are unaware of.

And I also want to say, I'm really asking out of curiosity. I know that there is no way for me to know if I'm pg until it actually happens and I get a bfp.

thoughts? 

BFP#1 due 3/5/2007 missed m/c at 10w, d&c 8/2006 BFP#2 DD 6/2007 BFP#3 DS 5/2009 BFP#4 due 4/8/12 m/c at 9w3d, after weeks of waiting for hcg to go down finally prescribed misoprosotol BFP#5 DUE 8/15/13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: hoping this isn't a stupid-flame-worthy ??

• i think I understand what you are asking.

In my case, I had the same symptoms every month for PMS (sore boobs, cramping, irritable, sleepy, etc.).  The month of my BFP, i knew something was up b/c i had none of my regular symptoms, as in nothing. 

So in my case, every month i had symptoms that could be one or the other, it was always PMS until i had nothing...make sense? :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RaeilyRaeily member

Not sure that I get what your asking but it symptoms are different for everyone. I had what I thought was my normal PMS including some cramping and I was convinced my period was on it's way and only took a test when I was a week late. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • It's different for everyone, like everything in pregnancy. Some people feel completely different and some exactly the same, convinced they're going to get their period but instead get a BFP. 

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • For previous months, i thought for sure i was pregnant, and i wasn't. The month that i thought for sure i was getting my period, i got a bfp.  I think it's too hard to tell, especially when people ttc analyze every little sensation.

Good luck!

• I normally never had period symptoms. The only pregnancy symptom I had was sore boobies and a missed period. :) It's different for everyone. The 2ww is the WORST THING EVER!!!! >:( Glad that's over. 
  • imageMelissaRae1525:
    It's different for everyone, like everything in pregnancy. Some people feel completely different and some exactly the same, convinced they're going to get their period but instead get a BFP. 

Yes

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was having 100% typical PMS symptoms on my BFP cycle.  I thought for sure AF was on her way.

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • imageMelissaRae1525:
    It's different for everyone, like everything in pregnancy. Some people feel completely different and some exactly the same, convinced they're going to get their period but instead get a BFP. 

Yep, this. I had no idea that I was pregnant. I rarely had PMS to begin with, but one day I woke up and my boobs felt like they'd been smashed. They were sore. I thought, "Oh great.... epic period coming on." It never came.

YOUR body may proceed as normal, while someone else's body can be all, "WTF?!" and show early symptoms. Or vice versa.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNicoleN82:

In my case, I had the same symptoms every month for PMS (sore boobs, cramping, irritable, sleepy, etc.).  The month of my BFP, i knew something was up b/c i had none of my regular symptoms, as in nothing. 

Ditto this for me. I had stopped charting for a few months, so the only reason I tested was because I wasn't having my normal AF symptoms. I don't think they're the same, more like deceptively similar for some folks. For me though, it did not feel like AF.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageella.mabel:

For previous months, i thought for sure i was pregnant, and i wasn't. The month that i thought for sure i was getting my period, i got a bfp.  I think it's too hard to tell, especially when people ttc analyze every little sensation.

Good luck!

Very well said.  The cycle before my BFP was 43 days long instead of 28-29 and I swore I had pregnancy symptoms.  Both cycles where I actually was pregnant, I had normal AF symptoms at the normal time and thought there was no way I was pregnant.  With the second DH and I were shocked when I tested positive 4 days after AF was due. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Progesterone is the dominant hormone in the tww and in the first tri, that is why the symptoms are so similar.  As first tri continues, that hormone increases, and other hormones start to increase too (hence testing for hcg).  

There is no way to tell, as you know, and as others have said.  But everyone is different and if you're really watching closely, you can usually recognize there were differences after the bfp is confirmed.  But, if you're really looking for it, it's also SUPER easy to see phantom symptoms, and they suck.

Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • I had my normal PMS symptoms, didn't imagine that I was pregnant, but lo and behold....I am.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • thank you all so much!

Of course part of me was wondering because I'm a nut in my 2ww, but the "scientific" side of me was trying to figure out what is actually going on during this time.

Thanks again! 

BFP#1 due 3/5/2007 missed m/c at 10w, d&c 8/2006 BFP#2 DD 6/2007 BFP#3 DS 5/2009 BFP#4 due 4/8/12 m/c at 9w3d, after weeks of waiting for hcg to go down finally prescribed misoprosotol BFP#5 DUE 8/15/13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageCutieBean79:
    I was having 100% typical PMS symptoms on my BFP cycle.  I thought for sure AF was on her way.

This was me, too. I didn't even realize til I was a day late and packing for vacation (and had tampons on my packing list!)

A few days before however, I was miserable. Constipated one day, migraine the next, flu-like symptoms- I am guessing that was implantation related and not just end of semester/turned in grades for 250 students and survived- body shutdown like I thought at the time!

TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It really does vary from woman to woman.  I knew I was pregnant both times because I had normal AF symptoms, but in addition to that, I was beyond exhausted and my boobs grew.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it doesn't matter and you can get PMS symptoms during the 2WW when you are actually pregnant.  Or you can get nothing.  It varies so much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had no symptoms before my BFP. My body has always been really strange though - sometimes I'd get backaches so bad I'd get nauseous before AF & other times nothing and everything in between - but basically I'm saying I had no idea I was pregnant until the day I tested.
  • sesigssesigs member
    I felt like AF was coming, all of my symptoms were what I normally have for PMS. I had no reason to suspect being pregnant since we weren't TTC. The only reason I tested was because I was a few days late and it is very rare for me to be more than 3 days late in any given cycle. However, in the 2 weeks before I tested positive I was traveling a lot (planes and cars) and I had awful motion sickness that I had never had before ... it could have been the pregnancy but it didn't make me suspicious. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Every other cycle I had mid-cycle spotting. The month I got my BFP I had none of my regular PMS symptoms. Zero. No sore breasts or bloating. I tested when I was a week past my expected period.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"