Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Reading to your baby

I am now having problems with this since DD is soooo active.  I can't even get her to sit still because she wants to explore everything. This is even after bath time and she's relaxed. My fiance was taking her to the library every Tuesday to a puppet show where they read stories and act them out and she loves those.  I have now picked up doing that since fiance's shift has changed.  When I read books from home and check out books from the library, she doesn't sit still enough to even listen.  Of course she likes to chew all of her board books.  All I do is play music, sing to her, and she looks at Blues Clues and that's it and she loves that from both of us.  Any suggestions because I'm about to give up reading to her until she's 18-24 months. 

Re: Reading to your baby

• Options
    I can relate. My LO wiggles alot and doesn't like to sit still either. He will sit and listen to stories at daycare but not always for me. I have the most success with him sitting in my lap, so I can kind of control him, and after his last bottle at night right before bed. I don't read to him that much though, even though I want too.
  • Options

Like PP most of our reading is done at nap and bedtime.  DD sits on my lap and we read a board book at naps (she turns the pages) bc it is short.  At bedtimes she sits on my lap and DH reads 1-2 longer  books.  Sometimes she fidgets and grabs the books etc.

We stick to relatively short stories bc her attention span is pretty short.  We have a couple board books that are small and she can chew them etc.  But unless she picks up them up and shows interest we leave stories till bedtime (it also helps her wind down so I'm OK with not doing a lot of reading during the day) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

we do reading as part of our bedtime routine, it's the last thing we do before a quick lullably and then in the crib. By this time he's ready to just hang out in my lap and interact on a quiter sleepier level. My favorite time of day lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is a huge wiggle worm but surprisingly lets me read to her at night.  Try board books with flaps such as Ears Nose and Toes.  Of course, she ripped all the tabs off but it kept her busy for a while.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

For now, if your LO wont sit still, just read to them while they play. At this age it's really just about hearing language and grammar and learning how people talk. They really just need to hear us say different words in certain orders.

DS eats everything including books but we got these "Indestructibles" books from Amazon and they are freaking awesome. They have no words but I like that better because I get to make up stories and show DS all the different things in the book rather than just sticking to a storyline. I recall reading a study done that said books with no words were better at this age anyway but I can't find it at the moment. They are seriously indestructible (I have tried to rip them without success) they are washable and fairly cheap.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My LO really won't sit still for stories but loves books with large pictures and print (one picture/word per page).  Favourites are Brown bear by Bill Martin Jr, Alphabet books and colour books.  He also loves lift the flap books which are more interactive.  Good luck!  Even 5 minutes twice a day is good for them.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I read to LO before bed every night. She is in her crib and usually listens while sipping on her bottle. Sometimes she will crawl around the crib for a few minutes then listen again. I don't think you should give up, maybe just try sitting her in her crib before bed and reading to her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The 'Indestructables' are amazing as PP post said!  I give one to DS to chew while I read to him.  We read every other night (bathe on the other nights).  Now that he is more active it is hard and not a very cuddly time...but I still think it is important to start now, even If it is a quick thing because I believe books are great for children!
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I read to LO as part of the bedtime routine because he is calming down.  However, I have read to him as a way to calm him down when he is upset about something and that has worked well too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"