Postpartum Depression

New here...glad to see I'm not alone

I am so glad to see that there is a PPD board here!  I have been dealing with depression since the last few weeks of my pregnancy but it has been getting progressively worse.  My OB put me on Zoloft about a month ago, which did nothing but give me a terrible upset stomach.  Now, since I am no longer breast feeding (entirely different depressing story) - he has put me on Prozac,  but a small dose.  After 1.5 weeks, I have seen no change and am still as depressed as ever.  I find that I cry so much lately that my husband says he is hesitant to leave me alone with the baby!  I would never do anything to hurt her, but he is concerned about my stability....as am I. 

Add to that the fact that my employer had previously said I could be out for 12 weeks following delivery, and has now dropped that back to 8 weeks for my c-section. They expect me to return to work on July 10th, but there is no way that I will be mentally ready to do so.  They have threatened to terminate me if I do not return on the 10th, which makes things that much worse.  I am hoping my doctor will write me a note and take me out of work longer.  Hopefully they cannot terminate me if I have medical documentation.

I never thought I would be dealing with PPD (then again, none of us probably did) and yet here I am.  I have never been so depressed in all my life and it just sucks!  Trying to get through it one day at a time, but it's good to know others are in the same boat.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New here...glad to see I'm not alone

• I am new to this board too. I NEVER thought I would be dealing with ppd either. I haven't even seen my doctor yet to discuss it. I thought it was just the baby blues, but clearly it's not. My bf struggles had a lot to do with it too. I am glad that we can all relate at least!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers image image
  • You should be able to get your 12 weeks under FMLA (and your employer meets the criteria). As long as you are under Dr.'s care you have nothing to worry about. (I had a similar situation with my maternity leave.) 

Take care of yourself... 

Married my Best Friend on 7/8/07 Welcomed our very own Little Miracle on 2/9/12 Life is GOOD...
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your depression.  Are you having any unpleasant side effects from the Prozac?  If not, please give it a chance.  It works well, but unfortunately, it takes longer than most of the other antidepressants to build up in your system and start working -- usually 6 weeks.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The first few weeks with my son were hell for me. I loved my son more than anything, but I cried every day, for no reason. I wouldn't talk to my husband, I didn't even find him attractive. It was then I decided I needed a lot more help. I learned to take it one day at a time. Went back to my doctor, and he took me off Zoloft and prescribed Viibryd. Omg, I felt like a completely different person. I actually felt like myself again. Some days are tough, and the PPA is a struggle, but know you are not alone!
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"