Baby Showers
Options

Today's Dear Abby

I think I've spent too much time lurking over here, because I was super disappointed when Abby didn't call her an ungrateful biatch. 

DEAR ABBY: I am getting married this year and I'd like to ch allenge the notion that it's rude to ask for gifts toward a honeymoon or other big-ticket items such as home improvements or a car. My fiance and I own our home and we don't need a lot of the traditional items couples receive at their wedding.

Our families have been very understanding, but I'm sick to death of hearing or reading that it's rude to ask for money. Shouldn't wedding guests be happy to celebrate the couple in a way that they need and not force them to register for a bunch of material things they won't use? -- ALREADY HAS A BLENDER

DEAR ALREADY HAS A ...: Your question is very common. I receive variations on this theme in every batch of mail that arrives.

It is considered rude to ask for money on a wedding invitation, just as it is considered rude for brides and grooms to raise the subject themselves. When a wedding invitation is accepted, the guests usually contact whoever issued the invitation to inquire where the couple is registered. Once asked, i t is then appropriate to reply, "They're not registered for gifts because they already have everything they need, but monetary gifts would be appreciated."

Some couples set up financial registries for this purpose with their bank or other financial institution, and there are also honeymoon registries and charitable gift registries if guests would prefer to donate to a worthy cause chosen by the happy couple.

Nathaniel David 3/22/11 #2 due 12/16/12

Re: Today's Dear Abby

• Options
    And thus, another American institution crumbles. 
  • Options
    imagelclaws13:

I think I've spent too much time lurking over here, because I was super disappointed when Abby didn't call her an ungrateful biatch. 

DEAR ABBY: I am getting married this year and I'd like to ch allenge the notion that it's rude to ask for gifts toward a honeymoon or other big-ticket items such as home improvements or a car. My fiance and I own our home and we don't need a lot of the traditional items couples receive at their wedding.

Our families have been very understanding, but I'm sick to death of hearing or reading that it's rude to ask for money. Shouldn't wedding guests be happy to celebrate the couple in a way that they need and not force them to register for a bunch of material things they won't use? -- ALREADY HAS A BLENDER

DEAR ALREADY HAS A ...: Your question is very common. I receive variations on this theme in every batch of mail that arrives.

It is considered rude to ask for money on a wedding invitation, just as it is considered rude for brides and grooms to raise the subject themselves. When a wedding invitation is accepted, the guests usually contact whoever issued the invitation to inquire where the couple is registered. Once asked, i t is then appropriate to reply, "They're not registered for gifts because they already have everything they need, but monetary gifts would be appreciated."

Some couples set up financial registries for this purpose with their bank or other financial institution, and there are also honeymoon registries and charitable gift registries if guests would prefer to donate to a worthy cause chosen by the happy couple.

I refuse to believe this was actual advice given to someone.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    imagediscobelle:

The real Dear Abby retired.  Her daughter writes it now.  

Klassy! 

figures....

• Options

imageRoxyLynn:
    And thus, another American institution crumbles. 

This.

• Options
    imagelclaws13:

Yes

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Really registry at a bank or for honeymoon I have NEVER heard of such a thing.
  • Options
    Good grief!
  • Options
    imageSmileyGirl18:

imageMyreppboys:

Honeymoon registries are very popular in my neck of the woods.  The registries usually include a "registry" of activities for the trip.  You can purchase a dinner, an excursion, spa treament ect.  If it you at it that way, it isn't any different than a tradtional registry. 

With people waiting to get married, they don't need anything for the home and if even if you tell people that gifts are not needed, they want to bring one.  This way, they don't end up at Goodwill or re-gifted.

it is totally different. The couple doesn't necessarily use the spa treatment or whatever and the registry company takes a cut. Crate and Barrel didn't bilk my guests for a service fee. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageMyreppboys:

Count yourself fortunate that your crowd doesn't believe in panhandling guests for the wedding expenses.  I swear people are going to start registering for the florist and caterer.

• Options

I have one better, went to a bridal shower about 6 months ago and at there was a bucket labeled. "For the Honeymoon: Please make a monitary donation for the happy couple with their Honeymoon." And if that wasnt bad enough the bride insisted on throwing her own shower cause she didnt "trust the bridesmaids to do what she wanted" her words, not mine. I heard of all this before I went to the shower and I went for pure enjoyment, it was a sh** show, and I loved it, I felt like I was in a bad reality show.

• Options

Am I the only one that if I didn't want physical gifts and wanted $ for the honeymoon or whatever, I just wouldn't register?  I always assume when there's no registry or very few items on one that the couple wants cash.  I wouldn't ever think to insinuate, please deposit your money directly into my new bank account I opened just for this occasion.

Nathaniel David 3/22/11 #2 due 12/16/12
  • Options
    imagediscobelle:

The real Dear Abby retired.  Her daughter writes it now.  

Klassy! 

Explains a lot. The original Dear Abby gave advice the way she thought and though she kept it snark free because it was in the public eye, she never tip-toed around the subject. I am shocked. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSmileyGirl18:
    imageDelBride2012:
    imageSmileyGirl18:

imageMyreppboys:

Honeymoon registries are very popular in my neck of the woods.  The registries usually include a "registry" of activities for the trip.  You can purchase a dinner, an excursion, spa treament ect.  If it you at it that way, it isn't any different than a tradtional registry. 

With people waiting to get married, they don't need anything for the home and if even if you tell people that gifts are not needed, they want to bring one.  This way, they don't end up at Goodwill or re-gifted.

it is totally different. The couple doesn't necessarily use the spa treatment or whatever and the registry company takes a cut. Crate and Barrel didn't bilk my guests for a service fee. 

Whatever my BFF didn't use, she got cash for. But, she used everything but one dinner.  I didn't pay a service fee when I bought her dinner.  The service fee came out on the other side and she had a 3.5% less on the gift certificate for dinner.  I have also seen honeymoon registries done directly though the resort with no service fee. 

If the gift certificate has less money on it than you paid, how is it not you paying the fee?!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

LOL...Dear Abby must be getting senile.  First of all, guests are not really supposed to bring gifts for the wedding/reception.  Most due...but it is not a "requirement".  A bridal shower would be different.  IMO...it is rude to come out and REQUEST money.  I don't get this part "when the wedding invitation is accepted, the guests usually contacts whoever issued the invitation...".  Ummm...I'm thinking in this case anyway (since they have already set up their home) the couple themselves issued the invite.  I have NEVER called a bride and groom (or even the parents of either) to find out where they are registered.  Seriously, if I don't know what they can use I give cash.  It is as simple as that.

Oh just saw that Abby died and her daughter is running the show.  Hmmm...maybe she needs to read some etiquette books.  lol

• Options

imagelclaws13:

Shouldn't wedding guests be happy to celebrate the couple in a way that they need and not force them to register for a bunch of material things they won't use?

That's my favorite line of the letter. I love when people are so entitled, they think their guests are falling over themselves, grasping at the opportunity to spend money on them.

• Options

Sooooooo... what you are saying is that I should not put my savings account information on the shower invites?

I mean I am trying to make it easy for my guests to get me what I really need - cash.

:::eyeroll::: 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    imagePatsyGK21:

I have one better, went to a bridal shower about 6 months ago and at there was a bucket labeled. "For the Honeymoon: Please make a monitary donation for the happy couple with their Honeymoon." And if that wasnt bad enough the bride insisted on throwing her own shower cause she didnt "trust the bridesmaids to do what she wanted" her words, not mine. I heard of all this before I went to the shower and I went for pure enjoyment, it was a sh** show, and I loved it, I felt like I was in a bad reality show.

I would not put money in that. 

• Options
    I know a couple that listed their bank account number under their registry.  I honestly couldn't believe it when I saw it.  
  • Options
    imageSmileyGirl18:
    imageDelBride2012:
    imageSmileyGirl18:

imageMyreppboys:

Whatever my BFF didn't use, she got cash for. But, she used everything but one dinner.  I didn't pay a service fee when I bought her dinner.  The service fee came out on the other side and she had a 3.5% less on the gift certificate for dinner.  I have also seen honeymoon registries done directly though the resort with no service fee. 

Well that makes it ok then.  I mean, "here you go Mr and Mrs, you have $48.25 to spend on dinner."  "well that's an odd amount, who would give us that amount?"  "Oh, they gave you $50, but we took our cut...bon appetite!"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

In our town we have a bank that does "Matrimoney" for weddings...completely tacky!!!! If you get a gift be gracious...people put a lot of time and effort into finding a gift that suits you and your future DH...

SO RUDE!

• Options

Guh, I would have liked to have seen: 

Dear Already Has a Blender,

How wonderful for you and your fiance that you are so well-set for your new life together!  You are truly blessed to be in such a comfortable financial situation in this day and age to already own everything you need for your home.  It dismays me, however, that you have not considered the most obvious solution to your situation--if you don't need anything, simply ask your parents and bridal party to share with guests who inquire that you would request that their presence be their only gift to you.  Certainly some will insist on purchasing something--but these kind souls would likely do as much when presented with your "money registry" in any case.

All best wishes!

• Options

We had friends that asked for money for their honeymoon. It quite disgusted me. I gave them a gift instead that they then regifted to us as our gift for our wedding. Classy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    imagelovebug33:

We had friends that asked for money for their honeymoon. It quite disgusted me. I gave them a gift instead that they then regifted to us as our gift for our wedding. Classy!

Idiots. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"