January 2013 Moms

i need baby name help!

We don't know if we're having a boy or a girl, so we're thinking of names for each.

We have some good ideas for boy's names:

Grant, Brady, Rowan, etc...

but OMG, we can't pick a girl's name at ALL!!!! It seems as if all the girls names I like have either been taken already, or don't fit with our last name. For example, we were loving the name Harper, until we realized that Harper Collins is a publishing company, and so that just won't do.

We also like the name Elise, and Kendall for girls, but those have already been taken by cousins who have recently had babies.

Any suggestions for girls names that are similar to Elise, Kendall and Harper? I've already gone to Nymbler, and haven't had much luck there, most of the names they suggested when i put in our girl names as inspiration are NMS.

Suggestions appreciated!

TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: i need baby name help!

• We are exactly the opposite!! We have a girls name on lock (Hannah) but we can not decide on a boys name at all!!! I made a decision that I did not want a name that someone in my family already has. For some reason it always bothered me when we would all be together and there would be like 3 Brian's in the room. Every boy name I like, hubby doesn't and vise versa. It's so hard!
  • My opinion, I know it wasnt asked for, but if you really like Harper I think you should hear me out lol. --Harper is a beautiful name and it is the name of an amazing author (To Kill a Mockingbird) and, according to my baby name book, people think of Harper as, intelligent, creative, artsy, pretty and funny. Just some food for thought, before you rule it completely out. And to be honest, I had no idea it was a publishing company until you told me.

As for alternatives:

Hayden, Henley, Harley, Elsie, Elouise, Elena, Ellie, Emma, Isla...that's all I got.

• Loading the player...
  • Elise made me think of Evelyn which is on my girl list. For Kendal could you maybe do Kaylee or Katelyn.
  • imagePatsyGK21:

I had no idea it was a publishing company until you told me.

Agreed. I think Harper Collins is a great name! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMrsStacieH:
    imagePatsyGK21:

I had no idea it was a publishing company until you told me.

Agreed. I think Harper Collins is a great name! 

I only knew because we deal a lot with books of all kinds daily. I think Harper Collins is cute and there is no reason not to use it because its also a company name. 

• We are in the same boat. We have a great boy's name but not much for a girl. We are just going to wait and find out what the sex is before getting back to the name game.

I like Evelyn though. I am going to throw that out to H and see what he thinks. 

• Haha, Rowen is our #1 girl name!  We are stuck on boy names.  We don't even know where to start...
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • sakelpsakelp member

I loved Rowan for a girl, but H said he only liked it for a boy, so I moved it to the boy list.

As far as Kalee goes, that's my bff's name, and Katelyn is another cousin's name... 

We might keep Harper on the list though, if you guys think it wouldn't be a big deal that it's also a company name. We were going to stick with it anyway, and then like 4 or 5 people said "you know that's a publishing company, RIIIGHT???" and then we were like... "oh well, we did know, but didn't know that EVERYONE ELSE would know..." 

• I think Harper is a beautiful name!

An alternative to Elise could be Elisa or Alissa...

• If you find something you love (which Harper Collins is beautiful btw) then keep it.  And if you're concerned what everyone else might think then dont tell them until he/she's born.  Afterall this is YOUR baby and that childs name for the rest of their lives, other people tend to press their own likes/dislikes.  I say go for it.  We named DD Emmalyn Lake, we got a few looks from the In Laws but we didnt announce until we were certain, if you seem wishy washy on it, people will try to sway you one way or another.  Good luck!  

Any ideas of names that might go with Emmalyn??  LOL  That's where i'm stuck.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesakelp:

I loved Rowan for a girl, but H said he only liked it for a boy, so I moved it to the boy list.

As far as Kalee goes, that's my bff's name, and Katelyn is another cousin's name... 

We might keep Harper on the list though, if you guys think it wouldn't be a big deal that it's also a company name. We were going to stick with it anyway, and then like 4 or 5 people said "you know that's a publishing company, RIIIGHT???" and then we were like... "oh well, we did know, but didn't know that EVERYONE ELSE would know..." 

Gosh, really, I'd be tempted to say "Who cares" to them!  Think about it this way too, how many publishers are going to still be around when your baby is fully grown?  I'm thinking about e-books, buy-outs...I mean really, who cares!  It's a great name. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My maiden name is Harper so my aunt has been pushing that for a girl, and I love the name Elise - oddly enough, it was my great grandfather's middle name.  Elizabeth or it's variations are similar to Elise.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"