August 2011 Moms
Options

I Can't Find That We Discussed This Yet... Preposterous or Novel?

I don't see where we discussed this as of yet, but my internet skillz are lacking so please to excuse (said like Borat) if we have...

I got an email from Toys 'r' Us encouraging me to start a registry for Lincoln's birthday. I find this ridiculous.

1. How presumptuous.

2. I'm pretty sure most everyone I know IRL would think it was crass and offensive.

3. This, to me, is a recipe for raising a monster. Even if Lincoln were 10, it is off-putting to me for him to be asking people for things (an exception might be if family asks him, but even then, a registry would be unnecessary.)

So what do you guys think?  

imageimage

Re: I Can't Find That We Discussed This Yet... Preposterous or Novel?

• Options

We made a registry for our shower but honestly I really don't see the point. Plus our friends/family tend to ask us what we want/need but we are happy with whatever is given.

I do like the idea of like Elfster because then people see your wish list but I don't think I would ever include with a birthday invite a birthday registry.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageDuffgurl:

We made a registry for our shower but honestly I really don't see the point. Plus our friends/family tend to ask us what we want/need but we are happy with whatever is given.

I do like the idea of like Elfster because then people see your wish list but I don't think I would ever include with a birthday invite a birthday registry.

Yeah, I think weddings and showers are a standard time when it is considered acceptable (if not wanted) for people to start a registry. I just didn't like the idea for a kid's birthday. Least of all a kid who can't even say if he wants something. It felt like grooming to become a materialistic brat, lol. If someone asks what "Lincoln wants" I always say the gift of their company at his party, OR I will suggest something if they press me. I would never, EVER include a registry on a birthday invite.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would never send birthday party invites with registry information for my child, I find that to be incredibly tacky.  We will not be making any type of gift or registry for our LO's birthday.

However, I will say this....before I had kids, my husband and I were totally out of the loop as to what were appropriate gifts for the children of our friends and cousins.  We found gift buying to be difficult and stressful, we were always worried we would get a bad gift!  So, when my cousin told me that her son had a TRU wish list of things he was interested in, I found it to be really, really helpful.  It took away a lot of the worry that we would get something he already had or something he didn't like. 

I do believe that she prefaced it to him that they were making a "wish list" - same as if he were making a Christmas list - and that he should not expect to get any or all of those gifts.  She made it clear that the point was just to list things that he liked, in order to give her and his grandparents ideas of his interests. So, I think it is ok to make some type of list, and only point people to it if they specifically call and ask for gift ideas. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Maybe I should put this on the FFFC board but I did do a wish list for Toys R Us for Logan's birthday (party tomorrow).  However, I did not put the information on the invitation.  The only time I mentioned it to people was if they asked me what to get him. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemelissa0726:

I would never send birthday party invites with registry information for my child, I find that to be incredibly tacky.  We will not be making any type of gift or registry for our LO's birthday.

However, I will say this....before I had kids, my husband and I were totally out of the loop as to what were appropriate gifts for the children of our friends and cousins.  We found gift buying to be difficult and stressful, we were always worried we would get a bad gift!  So, when my cousin told me that her son had a TRU wish list of things he was interested in, I found it to be really, really helpful.  It took away a lot of the worry that we would get something he already had or something he didn't like. 

I do believe that she prefaced it to him that they were making a "wish list" - same as if he were making a Christmas list - and that he should not expect to get any or all of those gifts.  She made it clear that the point was just to list things that he liked, in order to give her and his grandparents ideas of his interests. So, I think it is ok to make some type of list, and only point people to it if they specifically call and ask for gift ideas. 

I see your point. I still have a hard time picking gifts since my only child is not even 1.  

imageimage
  • Options

I will never allow DS or the new baby to create a 'wish list' like that to send to family.  I find it very gift grabby. 

BUT I do appreciate the thought behind it.  Both as a gift giver and a recipient.  I did register for my baby shower and my family and friends basically stuck to it which was incredible helpful for SO and me.  Now with DS's birthday fast approaching and people already asking what he needs I'm finding myself wishing I could just direct them to a registry.  Embarrassed Only because it would be SOOOOO much easier.  Now I have to give different suggestions to each person, and well DS doesn't need THAT much.  And I don't like giving only one suggestion per person because I hate being in that persons shoes and feeling like I HAVE to buy that one item.

So while I'd never do it myself, I don't have a problem if someone else chooses to do it.  And perhaps I secretly wish that I didn't think it was so gift grabby and could allow myself to take the easier way out.  Embarrassed

• Options
    imagemelissa0726:

I responded to the original post but I wanted to add that quite a few people responded that it was a great idea to have the wish list because most times they just dont know what to get and insist on bringing a gift.  My best friend asked me if I was doing one before I even created it.  She is a single gal with no young children/babies close to her besides mine so she has no idea what to look for. 

• Options

I started an Amazon wish list for DS for Christmas and have modified it for his birthday. The only people it was shared with at Christmas were my mom and my MIL. They live really far from us and rarely see us, so they usually want ideas for what to get for him. When they ask me what he wants, I can't always remember. If other people ask, I might tell them about it, but I don't see myself ever telling anyone if they don't ask. I would never do an actual registry or put that information on his birthday invitation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I'm in the middle. It sounds soooo gift grabby, but when people ask me what he needs/wants for his birthday I am all "Uhh....I don't know...pajamas?". If I could refer them to a list I had on amazon, I'm sure we'd all probably appreciate it.

Now sending registry information with the invitation= tacky tacky tacky.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

My nieces and nephews have done this at Christmas.  It is helpful but at the same time, they put all kinds of crazy gifts on there that I can't afford to buy them anyways. 

I know it would be easy to do but I don't think I will.  Do you get a completion code? 

• Options
    imageFisherman'sWife:

My nieces and nephews have done this at Christmas.  It is helpful but at the same time, they put all kinds of crazy gifts on there that I can't afford to buy them anyways. 

I know it would be easy to do but I don't think I will.  Do you get a completion code? 

This is a good point!  I can remember standing in the store and looking at the list saying, um, no way in he!l am I buying this kid a $200 Lego set.  I try to tell myself that maybe that particular "request" was geared towards grandparents :)

I haven't heard of a completion code, that's a good question...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

At this point in my life I doubt that I will ever do one. If it someday becomes a postive thing for us to do, than I will.

My cousin has 2 little boys close in age and she does the wishlists. She doesn't put them on the invites but mentions it if someone asks. In their case I kind of think it is a good idea, they have SO SO SO many toys between the two boys I really have no clue what to get them bc I feel like they already have everything.

• Options
    Nah, we aren't doing one.  It doesn't ruffle my feathers either way. If someone does it, meh whatever.  We are asking folks to forego gifts.  We have enough cheap plastic crap laying around here.....LOL.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We set up an Amazon wish list at Christmas.  Our families were asking what we wanted for her and it was easier that way.  I will be updating it for her birthday.  I wouldn't put that information on an invitation though.  I wouldn't mind if I got an invitation with that information though.  I would rather get something the kid wanted than something I just randomly picked out.  If there were only expensive items on there at least I would know what type of things the kid was into and go off that.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"