Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Carrier for 8 mo. olds+

My moby wrap isn't cutting it anymore, and DD is happiest when I'm carrying her and standing / walking, but I want to use my hands!

So, I'm looking on craigslist and ebay (only the best for my LO :) for carriers.  What do some of you think is a great carrier as LO gets bigger? (DD is smaller for her age, roughly 15.5 lbs now, but it's heavy as I'm sure you all know!)

I've had one recommendation for a baby bjorn?  Anyone agree/disagree? 

Anyone heard of / used a belle baby carrier? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Carrier for 8 mo. olds+

• Options

I'd advise against a Baby Bjorn.  The way they sit in them, especially if you have them forward facing, is not good for their hips.  Never used one, but I've also heard they aren't very comfortable for the wearer because it doesn't distribute the weight well.

I have an Ergo that I absolutely love.  Other ones I've heard great things about are Beco, Baby Hawk, and Boba.  All of those can be used up to at least 35lbs.  I carried ds who is 3 and 32lbs. on my back at the zoo and was still comfy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love the Ergo for long term carrying (walking the dog, zoo for non-walkers etc) and a ring sling for shorter term carries (grocery store, other errands, playground). The Ergo never makes me sore afterwards, even with a 30 lb toddler (tired yes, but not sore). The ring sling can make me sore if I wear it for more than an hour or so, but I love it for daily use for errands and things. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with pps. I also have a Boba carrier that works great, and a woven wrap (Elleville-Zara in yellow) that I LOVE! The woven wraps are similar in use to the Moby, but not stretchy, so they provide more support. You can do all kinds of carries with woven wraps and adjust them so YOU are comfortable too. :)
    Proud mama to Rylee Quinn, born 3 months early at 28 weeks. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ergo. Ergos are good like up to 40 pounds I think, and the child sits more on your hip. Bjorns to me are really for super young and light babies, and only are really good up to 20 pounds.
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member

Thanks for all the input!  Glad I didn't make a rash decision and go with the babybjorn right away!

I love how the boba has foot holds for older kids!  

It sounds like the Ergo is well spoken for!

If anyone has any more input I'd be glad to hear it! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I dont know money wise- but go to Paxbaby.com she has TONS of carriers, and you can rent them and try them out too.  We have a beco butterfly 2 and i LOVE it. our DD is only 14 lbs. but you can carry her on your chest and on your back ( and it's SUPER easy to put on your back.). But please look up about the ways of carrying.  forward carrying is not good for babies. 
  • Options
    We have a Bjorn and a Moby. The Bjorn is still comfortable for us so I sometimes use that if I need a quick carrier. LO loves it...he always rides facing me though because he always falls asleep in it. I also love my Moby though. Snug and secure but a PITA to put on outside (drags on the ground while wrapping it around your torso) and LO can get hot easily. LO is 18 pounds currently.
  • Options

We have a bunch.  My fave is the Babyhawk Mei-Tai because it's so easy to put on.  I can do a back and front carry with it.

DH loves his SSCs.  He has a Pikkolo and an Ergo.  They've very similar with the exception that the Pikkolo can be worn front facing out.  BUT the Pikkolo is a little warm for the summer, which is why we got the Ergo (Performance).  Before that we were using the Belle Baby, which is great for warmer weather, but is a crotch dangler like the Bjorn, so good for short trips only.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageCebs222:
    I dont know money wise- but go to Paxbaby.com she has TONS of carriers, and you can rent them and try them out too.  We have a beco butterfly 2 and i LOVE it. our DD is only 14 lbs. but you can carry her on your chest and on your back ( and it's SUPER easy to put on your back.). But please look up about the ways of carrying.  forward carrying is not good for babies. 

I have a Beco Butterfly 2, too. Love it!

Also, ditto on researching the types of positions to carry a LO. Front facing can be overly stimulating (nowhere to rest their little heads! :/ ) and tough on your body as well as theirs.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    my all time fave and I've tried several is the boba, super easy to use and comfy, can use up to 45lbs
  • Options
    We have a Beco Gemini and love it! DD's favorite carry is facing out-- yeah I know, but she's preferred facing out since she was a newborn. She loves to be able to look out and see everything. When I notice her getting tired I turn her in, put the head rest up, and she falls right asleep. 

I carried her in the Beco all day when we were in St. Louis and was never uncomfortable. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageblu-eyedwife:

We have a bunch.  My fave is the Babyhawk Mei-Tai because it's so easy to put on.  I can do a back and front carry with it.

DH loves his SSCs.  He has a Pikkolo and an Ergo.  They've very similar with the exception that the Pikkolo can be worn front facing out.  BUT the Pikkolo is a little warm for the summer, which is why we got the Ergo (Performance).  Before that we were using the Belle Baby, which is great for warmer weather, but is a crotch dangler like the Bjorn, so good for short trips only.

Is the Babyhawk easier to put on than the Ergo?  I have a Moby, K'tan, Ergo and Belle.  I use the Belle a lot because it's super easy to put on.  The Ergo is more comfortable, but I find that it's complicated to put on and generally just decide not to deal with it. 

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"