1st Trimester
Options

Making an exit, I'm thinking Chemical Pregnancy

Cramped horribly yesterday and have a strange period now. I took a test this morning and it's positive; but I'm thinking I had a chemical pregnancy. My OB is out of office until Monday, so I can't see him. I don't think nurses can order blood work; but I'd like to have it done to see what the next step is. 

My fear is that I'm going to have to go through a whole ordeal with this ie: ultrasound and dnc.

I've already had a dnc with my first MC at 8 week (before 2 DD's). So, I'm not too excited to have had this happen. 

Anyone else experience a chemical pregnancy?  What did you have to deal with?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Making an exit, I'm thinking Chemical Pregnancy

• Options
    I don't have much experience, but I'm sorry you have to deal with this. =( My friend just had very similar timing of events as you and she had a lot of cramping and bleeding (on a roadtrip no less) and she said it was not pleasant.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options

I am sorry you are going through this.

I would still see if you can get the blood work done.  If the nurses can't request it, the on call doctor can, that way you can have answers.

I *think* I had a cp after having DD, I wait too late to request blood work, so I don't have any clear answers.  I just had an extra heavy period.  I would not think a d&c would be necessary, but I guess not out of the question.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry you are having bleeding and cramping.

It certainly cannot hurt to call the nurse, to see if she can call in an order for blood work for you.

With my CP, I got a positive test on a Saturday, and then started my period on Wednesday.  It was just like a normal period, and I did not need any sort of follow-up with it, as I was only about 4 weeks along.

Definitely also post about this over on the Pregnant After a Loss board, as many, many of us have had a variety of experiences with CP's.  I recommend that you do NOT post this on the Miscarriage/Loss or Trying to Conceive After a Loss boards, as you are pregnant right now, and they will only direct you over to the PGAL board anyways.

Good luck to you.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

With a CP there is nothing you need to do.  A chemical pregnancy is one before the fetus has developed a heartbeat.  There is nothing in there that needs to be removed, so a D&C won't be necessary.  

I have had 2 CPs, and each time I became pregnant again in the very next cycle (once with DD and once with the LO in me right now).

Best of luck to you. 

• Options
    I'm so sorry I hope you don't have to have a dnc.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• Options

I had an early miscarriage once at probably about 6 weeks (looking back -- I was only 16 at the time). I would totally describe it as a "strange period" -- purplish color and pretty heavy.

There is absolutely no reason why you would need a D&C this early, especially if it was a chem pregnancy and there is no material.

I had a miscarriage at 9.5 weeks with an 8.5-week-sized embryo, and I didn't even need a D&C for that one. I was offered one but refused, and it all came out naturally about a week later, no issues. I did have to keep having blood tests until my HCG dropped to 0, just to make sure it was all out. D&Cs are only really necessary if all the material isn't coming out or if you start bleeding excessively to the level of it being dangerous.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageCupcakeKaper:

With a CP there is nothing you need to do.  A chemical pregnancy is one before the fetus has developed a heartbeat.  There is nothing in there that needs to be removed, so a D&C won't be necessary.  

This.

I had a chemical pregnancy last month and I had very faint positive tests and constant spotting. I re-tested when the spotting stopped and my test was negative. I started bleeding 2 days later.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this. I had a CP in April. I started spotting pink and brown one night then by morning it was bright red, on the day AF was supposed to start (Monday). By the time I got my blood drawn on Tuesday I was already down to 0. I was barely 4w at the time, nothing to do, and doctor said I could continue TTC with no wait.
  • Options

I also had a CP in April.  I got a BFP on a tuesday morning, a BFN on thursday and friday mornings, and started bleeding on friday evening.  The worst of the bleeding and cramping lasted 3 days or so, followed by a few more days of bleeding.  I had a normal period in May, and got pregnant the next cycle.  I didn't have any kind of doctors appt, they told me over the phone it was probably a false positive.  I knew better though.

I hope you figure things out, and I'm so terribly sorry you are going through this.

big brother 5/30/10  *  cp 4/27/12  *  little sister 2/25/13

• Options
    They shouldn't have to do any procedures to fix a CP - it should take care of itself.
  • Options
    JSob13JSob13 member
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had a chemical pregnancy in January. I only went in for blood work, didn't need to have a D&C. It passed naturally in 3-4 days. I had some pretty severe cramping and it was just like a really heavy period. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family!
    BFP#1: 1/16/2012. EDD: 9/21/2012 CP: 1/18/2012 BFP#2: 6/21/2012. EDD: 3/2/2013. MMC: 7/27/2012 BFP#3: 2/14/2013. EDD: 10/24/2013.
  • Options

I had one last month.  It was like a heavy period with clots and tissue.  It was painful since essentially your body is contracting to pass it.  It sped up my cycle since I had my CP 3 days before my period was due.  The good news was that I am now pregnant again a month later.

I am sorry for your loss.  Let me know if you have any other questions (you can PM me).

• Options
    I'm pretty much reiterating what everyone else said, but with my CP I didn't need any kind of medical procedure done. So sorry you ate going through this, but the fact that your tests are still positive is a good thing. Maybe it's just spotting in early pregnancy. FX!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry lady.  :(
  • Options

First of all, I'm so very sorry.

My first pregnancy was a CP.  I tested negative after some spotting and then had heavy bleeding the following night.  The OB did draw blood and my betas had dropped enough that I didn't have to have a DNC.  I was given the blessing to try again whenever we were ready emotionally.  My friend also had a CP, did not have to have a DNC, but was told to wait 3 months before trying again.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have not had one but a friend/co-worker of mine was told she was having one.  They tried to give her a pill/medication to "help it along". She had a weird feeling and didn't take it.  She now has a 2 year old son as a result.  I hope yours is not a chemical pregnancy either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"