October 2011 Moms
Options

WWYD - Travel question (to DC)

So, my mom has the baby for a short period of time tonight, hence my logging on from an actual computer and participating...

DH and I are going to take a few days in August for a trip to the Smithsonian in DC.  My mom will watch E for a few days.  We've never visited and DC is only about 5 hours from here.  I just found out we could take a round-trip Megabus for basically $40 round trip for both of us.  We'd be leaving at midnight on one of the days, but basically how I sleep now I'm not worried about that.

The bus drops us off in town at Union Station.  My questions:

We will only be there likely 2-2 1/2 days.  Is the Megabus worth it or should we drive...would we be glad we didn't drive?

I've never been to DC.  If I stay in a hotel near the Smithsonian/National Monuments - is it an okay location to stay in and walk around in?  Will we be able to find things to do/eat without a car?

I'm not nervous about driving or staying in a city - I lived in NYC for a few years, so none of that is an issue. 

Thanks for any insight!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWYD - Travel question (to DC)

• Options

Hey.  I will try and answer the best I can.  Maybe someone who has lived here longer will have more to say.  

It sounds like the bus ticket cost is less than it would be in gas if you drove.  Parking here downtown costs an arm and a leg.  If your interested in staying in that area you won't need a car.  The metro can get you everywhere.  

From what I see on the news downtown just seems to be the basic pick pocketing targeting iPhones.   

There are tons of places to eat around there.  

The Crystal City area is really nice.  Before I lived here I would stay there and take the metro down to everything else.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRoxRing:

So, my mom has the baby for a short period of time tonight, hence my logging on from an actual computer and participating...

DH and I are going to take a few days in August for a trip to the Smithsonian in DC.  My mom will watch E for a few days.  We've never visited and DC is only about 5 hours from here.  I just found out we could take a round-trip Megabus for basically $40 round trip for both of us.  We'd be leaving at midnight on one of the days, but basically how I sleep now I'm not worried about that.

The bus drops us off in town at Union Station.  My questions:

We will only be there likely 2-2 1/2 days.  Is the Megabus worth it or should we drive...would we be glad we didn't drive? Where do you live?

I've never been to DC.  If I stay in a hotel near the Smithsonian/National Monuments - is it an okay location to stay in and walk around in?  Will we be able to find things to do/eat without a car? DC is very walkable and has good public transportation. You will be fine.

I'm not nervous about driving or staying in a city - I lived in NYC for a few years, so none of that is an issue. 

Thanks for any insight!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"