October 2011 Moms
Options

Graham Crackers?!

So my daycare gave DS graham crackers today as a snack in the afternoon. He spit up from it a little bit and that was about it. Then I realized just a few minutes ago that graham crackers are made with honey! I am freaking out over here and pissed off at the same time. I am not sure if items made with honey are just as dangerous as raw honey. I am definitely going to tell them tomorrow no graham crackers or anything for snacks besides baby foods like Gerber. And  I don't have the option to pull him out of this daycare. Google didn't give me much info on items made with honey that are cooked. Anyone know if the freak out is justified?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Graham Crackers?!

• Options

The chances that the graham crackers contained *real* honey (not artificial honey flavoring) are probably slim. And the chances that the small amount of honey used in the crackers (if any) was infected with C. botulinum is even slimmer.

Of course, its not a great idea to give infants honey or products with honey, but I wouldn't fret too much.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! I am starting to feel more at ease...

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I wouldn't freak out over it. I am pretty sure it's artificial honey they put in there. However, I would make clear that it is not ok go give those to little one, maybe provide a list of approved snacks or pack up snacks and those are the only things to be eaten. 

FWIW, my mother dipped A's soothed into honey a couple of times when he was brand new, 'to make him like it' - I don't know how often she did that behind my back against my wishes. Her reaction was a 'well, you were a preemie and I did that and it was ok!' and a 'well, with the dog and the cats I the house I don't think HONEY is gonna be a problem for him.'. Needless to say that I am happy she is an ocean away and that A is fine. I was furious, though. That was RAW honey from a beekeeper which I bought on the farmer's market.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Maybe it's just my image of them but aren't graham crackers full of sugar anyway?  I would go ahead and give a list of snacks you want to avoid to your day care provider. They need to respect the mothers' wishes.

• Options
    I'm sure he's fine - but like others said, I think it's more important that you talk to your DCPs about giving him unapproved snacks.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"