VBAC

Bad csection really want vbac. Kinda long.

I have never written on this board but have recently started lurking just to see. I had my son about 5 months ago by csection. I started to have pre-eclampsia so my OB wanted to induce or do a csection. He did an exam at 36/37 weeks just before I was admitted to the hospital. I was just about 2 cm dialated and I believe 50% effaced and the baby was at station -1, so my body was starting to do something. Anyway, at the end of the exam he checked the space between my bones and said that it is really really small and he highly recommends a csection.. This is exactly what I didnt want but it really made me afraid when he started saying I could break the babies collar bone or it could get stuck and he would only have mins to get the baby out. He did let me chose but now that I look back I think the info was one sided. He really didnt mention the risks of a csection or effects of a RCS So, in for a csection I went. I had a horrible experience. My doctor was great but my recovery was rough. the 3 hours after the surgery my morphine wasn't working and no nurses believed me so I layed there just out of surgery feeling everything with no meds. It wasn't until I started bawling asking for at least tylenol and my mom stepped in that they gave my demeroyl (sp?) So then they had me on morphine and demeroyl. It was like an over dose. I was chocking on my own throw up and passing out. I hardly remember much except feeling like I was going to die. Sadly I missed out on my babies first night of life. So there were other problems and I needed a blood transfusion....so what I am getting at is, I dont want this next time around.

I really would like to try for a VBAC when we decide to have our next. Have any of you been told you were too small? My OB says he has only told 3 women including me this in all his years of practice. Have any of you had your baby get stuck from this? My son was only 6lbs10oz. Did any of your OBs allow you to sit or squat for delivery, I know this can open you up around 28% more or something.I am not really sure what I am looking for maybe just insight. Thanks in advance for reading an responding, Im sorry if the post seemed pointless.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bad csection really want vbac. Kinda long.

• See a chiro and find a new OB, the small pevis thing  is pretty much BS doctors say to scare/pressure women into C/S.

A good chiro will help align your pelvis and that will help make more room.

Also some good prenatal yoga will help make your pelvis more open.

The pelvis is designed to spread during a normal delivery.

• Thank you for re-assuring me. He did say that I could open with labor but followed so many negative things that could come if it didnt so I just gave up. I never thought of Yoga. Thanks :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the yoga (especially squats if you can manage) and the chiropractor!  I loved mine, and my insurance covered all but 10 or 15% of the cost.  

It does sound like your doctor is setting you up (a bait n switch kinda deal).  I would be very wary of what he says, and be sure to do your own research. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I think so too looking back. The entire time he kept telling me he would do what he could to avoid a csection, then literally the last minute it was another story. He got me through so much with the pregnancy I really don't want to believe he was doing that. I guess anything is possible.
  • Women's bodies are designed to give birth.  For the most part, we make babies that are the right size for us.  I would definitely get a second and maybe even third opinion.  Also, consider finding a local ICAN chapter in your area and/or a midwifery or OB practice that is very publicly open of VBAC.  (Not sure how realistic this is given where you live.)
  • I actually recently found a Dr. in my area very public with his positive feelings about VBAC and negative feelings on the rising or too high csection rates. I did get two opinions but they were in the same office, looking back that probably was the same as one opinion :/
  • Welcome to the board!  Your post does not seem pointless :)

I am 4'10" and 90 pounds not pregnant, so not surprisingly I was also told my pelvis is too small by the OB that did my c/s.  I pushed for 2 hours, baby was not moving down much, and that is when my doctor said "well, you're small..." and we went off to the OR.  Afterward she told me that because of my pelvis size, I would never be ale to deliver vaginally unless I had a preemie.  My first baby was 7 lbs 10 oz.  I went on to deliver my second child vaginally with a different doctor.  Baby #2 was 7 lbs 12 oz.  So much for my pelvis being too small.  And yes, I had my second baby in an upright position on my knees.

Honestly, your doctor didn't really give you a chance.  There are so many factors that affect vaginal birth--your position, your baby's position, how much your pelvis stretches, how much the baby's head molds.  There is no accurate way to tell ahead of time whether a woman will have cephalopelvic disproportion (barring obvious issues like major anatomical anomalies).  The only way to know is to try, and he didn't let you.

There is a great ICAN video online called "question CPD," I will try to find the link for you. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is a good article on CPD and it links to the video I mentioned (sorry no clicky)  

https://ican-online.org/vbac/cephalopelvic-disproportion-cpd

Also you say that your doctor was great, but was he really?  He pushed you into a surgery you very possibly did not need, which was physically and emotionally difficult for you.  It sounds like he did not consider your wishes and wasn't really honest with you. You deserve better.  I hope that does not sound harsh.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I dont think that is too harsh at all. You are right. I told him from the start I didnt want a csection and in the end he pressured me into without even giving me a shot. Thank you for the link and your encouraging story. I am 5'0'' and about 95-100lbs so this makes me more confident in my abilities. Congrats on your VBAC! Did you have an OB or midwife? birthing center,home,hospital? I am trying to get an idea of the best enviroment. I didnt think there were many OBs that would allow you to deliver in an upright position. Thank you for the link. I am so glad I posted :)

• imagestepht514:

I dont think that is too harsh at all. You are right. I told him from the start I didnt want a csection and in the end he pressured me into without even giving me a shot. Thank you for the link and your encouraging story. I am 5'0'' and about 95-100lbs so this makes me more confident in my abilities. Congrats on your VBAC! Did you have an OB or midwife? birthing center,home,hospital? I am trying to get an idea of the best enviroment. I didnt think there were many OBs that would allow you to deliver in an upright position. Thank you for the link. I am so glad I posted :)

I had a home birth with an OB (a pretty unique situation).  I don't know that there is one best environment.  Finding a supportive doctor or midwife is most important IMO. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions.  Glad you are finding this board helpful. :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"