October 2011 Moms
Options

CD'ing mommas come in

Ok so originally I was going to cd but then I decided I would go back to work full time and we went with regular diapers. Well as it turns out I never went back after maternity leave and I still want to cd but I am so lazy.. Is it dumb to start now? What do you recommend? Opinions?
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Re: CD'ing mommas come in

• Options
    It is definitely not too late to start. You still have at least two years of diaper usage ahead of you! I just switched over a couple months ago and I absolutely love it. We use Sunbaby and Alva Baby brands.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I don't think it's dumb to start now. I say go for it. 

I have to admit I don't get the cloth diapering fervor or the fact that so many moms have 20 or 30 different kinds. We have 8 Flip diaper covers that adjust and grow with baby and we use prefold inserts provided by a service. We put them on with a snappi and call it a day. I don't have any trouble cd'ing and working, but the service helps. We said we would only use it for the first few months but here we are. At $20 a week it's worth it for us.

I absolutely LOVE cd'ing. 

image image

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's never too late to start.  We started out using prefolds and covers and then got 24 Kawaii's and use those exclusively now.  I found that the prefolds were getting too hard to deal with during the wrestling match that is a diaper change.
  • Options

I wanted to CD from the start and felt like nothing fit DS properly.  When I found out I was expecting again, the financial piece caused me to try again.  DS was 6 months when we started and now I love it.

We were given about 25 Bum Genius and Fuzzibunz pocket diapers used.  I don't know if we would have put the money into it up front, but since we didn't have to spend a dime--it's totally worth it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was going to ask the same question (except I never considered CD while I was pregnant- I think I had really antiquated ideas about diaper pins and whatnot)!  I have been thinking about it for a while, but we had a stockpile of disposibles and I thought maybe I missed the boat.

I don't know anyone IRL who has gone the CD route, so I have no idea how to get started.  Any advice on what I need to get going, or resources I should check out? Thanks!

• Options
    imagekellybug80:

I was going to ask the same question (except I never considered CD while I was pregnant- I think I had really antiquated ideas about diaper pins and whatnot)!  I have been thinking about it for a while, but we had a stockpile of disposibles and I thought maybe I missed the boat.

I don't know anyone IRL who has gone the CD route, so I have no idea how to get started.  Any advice on what I need to get going, or resources I should check out? Thanks!

The FAQ over on the Cloth Diaper board was a huge help for me when I was getting started.  You basically have to decide what kind of diaper you want to go with - prefold and cover, pocket, All in One and then go from them.  That board is a really great resource.  Read the FAQ and then just start reading posts. 

• Options

imageMs.Jade:
    We have 8 Flip diaper covers that adjust and grow with baby and we use prefold inserts provided by a service.

Jade, do you know the measurements of your prefolds?  I was CDing with covers until 2 months ago when L seemed to outgrow the prefolds, as in they're a pain to fit in the covers now because they don't seem long enough from crotch to butt.  I'm wondering if this is normal or if there are actual sizes.  I could just sew my prefolds together to make longer ones but so far I've been too lazy and we're just using disposables.

• Options
    imageaml+japan:

...lazy and we're just using disposables.

Just realized I should probably change my siggy pic, LOL.

• Options
    LCassLCass member
    imageginamcp:
    imagekellybug80:

The FAQ over on the Cloth Diaper board was a huge help for me when I was getting started.  You basically have to decide what kind of diaper you want to go with - prefold and cover, pocket, All in One and then go from them.  That board is a really great resource.  Read the FAQ and then just start reading posts. 

I agree about checking out the FAQ on the CD board, but also recommend the following sites:

https://www.theclothdiaperwhisperer.com/

https://theecofriendlyfamily.com/category/cloth-diapers/

https://allaboutclothdiapers.com/

The second one is my favourite.  Or you can find a CD store near you and go in and ask some questions.  The one in our city has a workshop every month.  And there are quite a few of us on here that CD and will be happy to answer specific questions.

OP, I say go for it!  It might take a little getting used to, but we love CDing.  And it's amazing how much you can save when you don't have to buy sposies all the time!

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• Options
    imageLCass:
    imageginamcp:
    imagekellybug80:

I agree about checking out the FAQ on the CD board, but also recommend the following sites:

https://www.theclothdiaperwhisperer.com/

https://theecofriendlyfamily.com/category/cloth-diapers/

https://allaboutclothdiapers.com/

The second one is my favourite.  Or you can find a CD store near you and go in and ask some questions.  The one in our city has a workshop every month.  And there are quite a few of us on here that CD and will be happy to answer specific questions.

OP, I say go for it!  It might take a little getting used to, but we love CDing.  And it's amazing how much you can save when you don't have to buy sposies all the time!

Thanks gals.  I am reading through the FAQs and sites.  I also found a cloth diaper shop in the area, so I will probably check them out,  Right now I am feeling a bit intimidated by the whole thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"