VBAC
Options

Dr's are ok with vbac, RN is not

I chose to go to a different OB group because my original office was not agreeable to a VBAC for me.  So I left them at around 8 weeks to go here, and things have been a mess to say the least.  I had a huuuuggee mix up with my glucose test (needless to say, 2 weeks ago they told me I was fine when in fact I have GD) Now the nurse practitioner tells me that women who were deemed 'failure to progress' in their previous pregnancy (which is why I had a csection with my son 3 yrs ago) are considered "the worst candidates for a vbac"  They will still attempt, since I signed the forms that I want the vbac, but they dont induce past 40 weeks and she didnt seem too optimistic.  Thankfully, my OB's still seem on board but the way things have been going....I'm really scared!  Have you heard of FTP being the worst type of candidates??  Im 32 wks, by the way!

Thanks!

Re: Dr's are ok with vbac, RN is not

• Options
    imageghaber:

I chose to go to a different OB group because my original office was not agreeable to a VBAC for me.  So I left them at around 8 weeks to go here, and things have been a mess to say the least.  I had a huuuuggee mix up with my glucose test (needless to say, 2 weeks ago they told me I was fine when in fact I have GD) Now the nurse practitioner tells me that women who were deemed 'failure to progress' in their previous pregnancy (which is why I had a csection with my son 3 yrs ago) are considered "the worst candidates for a vbac"  They will still attempt, since I signed the forms that I want the vbac, but they dont induce past 40 weeks and she didnt seem too optimistic.  Thankfully, my OB's still seem on board but the way things have been going....I'm really scared!  Have you heard of FTP being the worst type of candidates??  Im 32 wks, by the way!

Thanks!

Um.... I just got back from a dr appt.  I asked the dr about VBAC as an option for me and she said I was a good candidate.  She said that she was a part of some studies a while back that showed that "STMs who had a c/s because of non recurrent issues (ie issues that are not likely to reappear in another pregnancy, mine were failure to progress and infection), have an 80% chance of a successful VBAC."  I was like "huh those are decent odds" and she responded with "those are better odds than a FTM!!" 

So yeah I wouldn't trust the NP.  But after some bad experiences I have a general distrust for NPs.  IMO your dr is the one that you need to be concerned with as far as opinions go. 

Good luck I hope you get the VBAC you want!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think your RN is off her rocker or pushing her own agenda. I have had two different physicians tell me that failure to progress in 1 pregnancy has nothing to do with whether I would be a good VBAC candidate. We also had a merconium issue and fetal heart stress so I had a cesec the first time around.

The worst candidates for VBAC have predictable issues like women with too many low transverse incisions, women who conceived immediately after delivering the last child because they haven't had enough time to heal, women with cervical or uterine abnormalities that would prevent vaginal birth, women giving birth to multiples, and the list goes on.

Don't let her stress you out. Based on the limited info I know about you, it sounds like a VBAC if an option. Listen to your doctor and make sure you print multiple copies of your birth plan to give to each shift of nurses when you go to the hospital as well as the doctor at the hospital if for some reason yours in unavailable. Don't be shy about making your desires known. It is your body and you have a right to attempt a VBAC.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My c/s was for FTP after a 36 hour induction, that ended with 6 hours at 9cm, an epi and then fetal distress.  I think it was more like "failure to back the F off" and failure to wait, and failure to help get baby into a better birthing position (he was OP and head tilted to the side).  I had a VBAC 3 months ago, after another 36 hour labor (it was at home, so there was no pressure at all).   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

I think FTP is mostly a bunch of crap.

I believe that FTP is really Failure To Wait in many many cases. I also think that if baby is in a bad position it gets called FTP.

My first OB did nothing to get try to persuade baby to get in a good position. And after being stalled for about 5 hours she said it was time for a c/s. My c/s was 16hours after labor started, at 9:30pm. With my vbac and new OB, he had me change my position and baby moved into his correct position. I stalled for more than 7 hours and we just waited. 29 hours of labor and he came out when he was ready. In neither case was baby in distress - the actions and patience of the OB (or lack thereof) made a huge difference.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    My OB actually told me that failure to progress is the best candidate for VBAC because you never had a chance to get to push so they don't know what you are capable of.  Just another opinion!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Thank you ladies!  I've been reading up on the VBAC board since I found out I was PG so I kind of knew that this RN was full of sh?! but it's very good to hear from others who had FTP and had their VBAC with no or minimum issues.  I, too, feel that my c-section was more of a "failure to wait" as one bumpie put it!  They did the foley catheder, then broke water, then pitocin...no wonder his heart rate was dropping!  I went in on a sunday at 7pm and I had him on monday at 4:47 so there wasnt much waiting by the dr's  (hence another reason why I switched, didnt want to possibly be rushed again).

Thanks ladies!

• Options

FTP and failure to descend/CPD are generally considered less ideal for VBAC.  A lot of doctors who aren't educated about VBAC--even some doctors who generally support VBAC--will tell those moms they should schedule a RCS.  But studies show that they still have at least a 60-70% chance of VBAC success.  When you consider that our country has an overall vaginal delivery rate of 67% and 75% in FTMs, those odds are pretty good.

On a personal anecdotal level, I dilated to 10 cm and pushed for two hours before my c/s and my OB diagnosed me with CPD and told me the only way I could have a VBAC was if I had a preemie.  So that made me one of the worst candidates for VBAC theoretically.  I switched doctors to someone supportive who had a great track record with VBAC, and had a VBAC with no problems.  GL.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Kie310Kie310 member
    FTP was a top reason for my c/s (but really my son wouldn't drop, and who could blame him, I was induced at 37 weeks b/c of pre-e & PIH, he was stuck under my ribs when they cut me open. He was NOT ready to come out). My doctor has no issues with my VBAC. He is worried I might have a narrow pelvis, but I think that's crap too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelostaspen:

My c/s was for FTP after a 36 hour induction, that ended with 6 hours at 9cm, an epi and then fetal distress.  I think it was more like "failure to back the F off" and failure to wait, and failure to help get baby into a better birthing position (he was OP and head tilted to the side).  I had a VBAC 3 months ago, after another 36 hour labor (it was at home, so there was no pressure at all).   

Seriously! They really know how to scare us!! So frustrating in retrospect!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageghaber:

Have you heard of FTP being the worst type of candidates?? 

I have been told point blank I can't pushed a baby through my pelvis....that has to be worse than FTP. Yet here I am preparing to VBAC anyways. Just follow your gut, research the crap out of yourself, and silence those that try to put doubt into your mind.

ETA: Screw the RN opinions, your OB's stance is more important.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"