October 2011 Moms
Options

Hot, cold, or room temperature?

So the post about making bottles made me think of this possibly dumb question.

What is/are the benefits of giving LOs room temp/warm bottles? Is giving them a colder bottle posing a health risk?

Also, does this rule apply to baby food? I give L purees. When I first open the jar it's room temp, but then it says to refrigerate after opening. Most of the time I just take the jar out of the fridge and feed it to L. She seems fine with that.

Please tell me I'm not crazy for asking this question Hmm

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Hot, cold, or room temperature?

• Options
    I don't use formula, but my understanding is that temperature is more of a preference thing. Same with serving purees. Health wise it doesn't matter if you heat them first or not. Straight out of the fridge is fine if your LO enjoys it that way. I warm most of the purees I give DS. If it's a fruit only puree I sometimes give it cold, but if it's a puree of something I would normally eat warm (meat, veggie, oatmeal) then I warm it up. I don't know if he really cares either way, though.
  • Options
    When LOs are very young, their bodies can't digest cold 'milk' as well. It can make them throw up.  At this age, it's preference
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We make LO bottles ahead of time and when its time to have one, I heat it up just to take that very cold out. He doesnt have it warm, its either room temp or has a slight chill to it. I have found it helps him better with his reflux.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When I've given bottles of BM, I just set the bottle in cup of warm water to warm it up.  I figured it would taste better since DS is used to warm milk.  When I've made formula bottles I've heated water in the microwave and then made the bottle.

I also heat up the jarred foods in the microwave to be warm.  He's eaten them cold and room temperature also.  He probably wouldn't mind either way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It's a preference thing - no health benefits or risks associated with temperature.  Breastmilk from the tap is warm, so for some babies, to keep continuity, they prefer their breastmilk/formula warm.

We were taught to give it in a bottle cold from the very first (warm from mom, cold from dad) so he doesn't develop a preference for warm milk.  Just to make it easier when you're out and so you don't have to worry about a fussy baby getting fussier while you're warming it up.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

At home, DD gets them cold or room temperature. At daycare, they warm them. She takes them all three ways without complaining.

I'm told I have a pretty good little eater on my hands. I don't expect it to last but I'm thankful for now.

• Options
    We do everything at room temp. I have never heated a bottle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I always heard it was a preference thing, so we never warmed Gavin's bottles or food. He has always taken cold or room temp bottles without a problem.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ok this is good to know, I honestly thought I was doing something "wrong" by feeding L cold purees/BM... I appreciate all of your feedback ladies.

Also, blu- when you wrote "BM from the tap" I had to pause for a second to think about what that meant! Very funny lol

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagenicki731:
    I always heard it was a preference thing, so we never warmed Gavin's bottles or food. He has always taken cold or room temp bottles without a problem.

Same here.  We always do room temperature food too.  

Jen Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"