Cloth Diapering
Options

All in twos - new to cloth, suggestions, sewing snaps for inserts

Hi there! My son is almost 11 months now, but I've decided to make the switch to cloth. The selections are overwhelming, especially since a single product can have so many people that adore it or hate it! But I really like the idea of the all in two. I am interested in a diaper that will hold an insert/prefold that I can just lay inside without wrapping. I want to be able to reuse a cover for more than one change if possible. I mostly want to keep costs down, but of course convenience is nice too.

I keep coming back to the Thirsties Duo Wrap, as I have read about its leak performance and wipe clean or quick drying qualities. But I love the idea of the Weehuggers. The softness, leg gussets (like the Thirsties) and of course the adorable prints! From what I've read, it seems like the only real downside is that the front pocket for the insert gets wet.

My questions are:

How often does this happen, and what (if anything) can you do to prevent this? How long does it take to dry? And has anyone tried maybe sewing snaps on this flap to use with a snap-in insert? Not sure if that would even work. I have never seen any up close even. Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: All in twos - new to cloth, suggestions, sewing snaps for inserts

• Options
    Everything I've ever heard says not to tuck the PF/insert into those front and rear flaps on the covers... because, yes, they get wet and poopy that way and then you can't reuse them. The only times the front cloth on mu Weehuggers gets wet is when DS soaks through his PF. However, having said that, I CAN'T reuse Weehuggers as often as you can Duos or Flips. Weehuggers are better quality by far but I honestly prefer Flips for fit and versatility.
  • Options

Congrats on wanting to make the switch. I am not familiar with the Weehuggers brand, but would not recommend sewing after-market snaps for a snap-in insert. Snaps aren't necessary to keep a trifolded PF in place. And most snap-in inserts 'go' with specific covers with specific snap styles and placement so you wouldn't really be gaining any functionality and would void the warranty on your cover.

For the type of solution you're looking for, I recommend Flips or Econobum covers (made by the same company - I use them interchangeably) with Flips inserts and/or any brand of prefold. I typically use 2 covers per day - alternating with each change to allow any dampness to dry.

That said, there's no rule that says you have to have all the same kind of diaper. I would buy one of each cover that interests you and then get more of the one that works best for your LO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"