Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Ideas? Organizing Changing Dresser and Closet

Hey ladies.  Ok this might sound like a really silly question/concern . . . I need some ideas for organizing my changing dresser and closet.  I'm trying to figure out the most logical place to put things.

In the next week I plan to organize all my baby stuff into my changing dresser (8-drawer Ikea Hemnes Dresser) and closet.  I also got two sets of the SKUBB drawer organizers (each set has 6 "boxes").

For the changing dresser:  I was origionally thinking of having a diapering station, with a drawer for diapers, a drawer for creams, etc.  I'd probably use the larger drawers for blankets, sheets, quits, etc.

I'm a big fan og hanging clothes up in a closet.  So I had planned on hanging everything up in the closet according to size.

But if all the clothes are in the closet, will that be inconvient?  Would it be better to have a few outfits at the chagning station?  But then I hate to have clothes in various places.

Any suggestions?  Or lessions learned?

My Journey to Motherhood
Me 36, DH 42
7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
TTC Since January 2009
Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
TTC Since June 2013
Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
EDD 10/15/16
At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Ideas? Organizing Changing Dresser and Closet

• Options

I don't have a closet, but I do have the same dresser you do. 

I bought the drawer organizers for Ikea and they help a lot. I am constantly moving things around to make more sense as he gets older (he's 19 months now). Anyway, for the top 4 drawers I have

- diapers and creams in one. I didn't need too many creams. I use the drawer organizers in there.

- onesies and socks - using a drawer organizer

- pjs

- burp cloths/recieving blankets - using a drawer organizer

I think putting the blankets, sheets, towels, and bulky stuff in those other drawers is a good idea. I have nicer clothes in one drawer, clothes he doesn't fit into yet in another, extra diapers, wipes, crib sheets in another, and bulky winter clothes in the last. 

Since you have a lot more space, of the clothes I would have at least onesies and pjs in drawers for easy access. I kept my wipes on the dresser, but I suppose you could put that in a drawer if you wanted to. 

• Options

The only clothes I hung are things that didn't fold well, like little sweaters or collared shirts. 

The way I did my dresser which doubles as a changing table is one top drawer will have diapers, wipes, and a basket of diaper changing stuff like creams and lotion.  The other top drawer has all newborn sized clothes and sleepers.  The middle two drawers are all 0-3 months clothes and 3-6 month clothes.  The bottom two drawers are 6-9 months clothes.  I folded all the onesies, pants, shirts and like I said, hung things like sweaters, jackets, sweatshirts, and collared shirts and onesies.  

I have another tall dresser that holds blankets, sheets, and bibs and a basket that holds all the bath toys, body wash, lotion, washcloths, and a little robe.  That way when it's bath time, I can just take the whole basket to the bathroom or kitchen with me instead of hauling an arm full of stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I, too, have the 8-drawer Hemnes as a dresser/changer and also prefer to hang as much as possible.

In the dresser drawers:

- extra diapers, extra wipes

- meds/grooming

- sleepers

- swaddlers

- light blankets & burp cloths for at-home use

- sheets, mattress pads, extra changing pad covers

- lap pads/waterproof pads

- one large empty drawer. I have her bath items in the linen closet but if I wanted them in her room, they'd probably go here. I'm sure we'll find something to put in here at some point.

In her closet:

- Hung up: dresses, outfits, coats, etc. (the majority of her day clothes)

- Folded in closet drawers: random onsies, random pants, bloomers, socks, hats, nicer blankets & burp cloths for out and about

ETA: I have the same drawer inserts as you. We did an Elfa system from the Container Store in her closet. LOVE it. I prefer to have all of her clothing in one place.

• Options

We also have the 8 drawer Hemnes. On top of the dresser, we have a changing pad, lamp, and will have two baskets for cloth wipes/solution, and a few cloth diapers for easy grabbing.

In the top drawers, we have the drawer organizers from Ikea, and we have pacifiers, teethers, hats, mittens, and booties/socks, then the three remaining top drawers are full of cloth diapers. 

The middle drawers have her sleep sacks, gowns  and zippered pajamas, and the next drawer has button down sleepers. The bottom two drawers have her crib sheets and mattress pads, and then we store our bath towels in the last one. 

Her closet has a bin with white onesies, a bin with pants, and all her clothes/outfits are hung. We also have a large bin on the floor for clothes that she outgrows. We have a basket with blankets, and her little shoes are lined up on one of the shelves. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I also like hanging things up (except pajamas). It's very convenient for us and I like being able to see everything at once... plus there's not so much folding.

Grant's dresser has 6 drawers. They are socks/shoes, creams/thermometer/nail clippers/that kind of junk, pajamas, refills of wipes/extra diapers, sheers/blankets, random drawer with who knows what in it. We keep a caddy on the top next to the changing pad with diapers/wipes/lotion/diaper cream.

In the closet I only hang the things that currently fit him. He has two closets in his room so I keep all the things that don't fit him yet in the other closet. If only had one closet, I would probably put the things that don't fit yet off to the side there they aren't as accessible.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"