Preemies
Options

What level nipple is your LO on?

My girls are 2 months adjusted but actual age is 6 months. They have been on a level 1 nipple for awhile and I just tried out the level 2 (3 + months) and they were spitting up like crazy and drinking it way too fast. I switched them back to level 1's which they usually take around 20 minutes to eat with. 

Just wondering how long your LO was on Level 1 nipples? I dont know if it matters but we use Dr. Browns Bottles too

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What level nipple is your LO on?

• Options
    My LO is six months actual, three months adjusted.  We use the Level 1 Dr. Brown and haven't thought about moving up.  It seems to work well for her.  She takes about 15 minutes to eat 4 to 6 ounces, no spitting up at all.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I just changed DD to level 2 nipples yesterday (she's 3.5 months actual). She's not drooling or spitting up with the new nipples, but she hasn't been eating on them long enough to know if that was a mistake. Although when she was on the level 1, she was taking forever to finish the bottle.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh yikes about the level 2's... I had ordered several sets of them and they just arrived so I hope they work for us. LO is 4.5 months actual; 8 weeks corrected.

What has happened is that he has stopped being able to get any milk out of the level 1's. He'll suck and suck and I'll check the level and NOTHING has come out! We use Dr. Brown's mainly, but I tried some other types as well, and just nothing comes out. I honestly thought they had gotten warped in the sterilizer and the holes closed up or something, but I think his suction is so strong he's collapsing them.  

After I get these washed and we have a chance to try them, I'll report back how he's doing with them. 

Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I recently completely switched from level 1 to level 2 nipples on our Dr. Brown's.  It took a couple months for them to get used to it and at first they would finish so quickly they would get really mad a nd ry when they were done.  It takes them about 10 minutes to finish 7 oz now.  Our NICU OT recommended staying on a level 1 nipple for a while because they are BF babies.  It sounds like your girls might not be ready yet.
  • Options
    i just bumped my son up to a level 2 nipple. he is 6 weeks adjusted and 12 weeks actual. I probably would stay with the level 1, but he has to work too hard to eat with the level 1 because of a heart problem (vsd). so we want him to be able to get more formula with less work.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    My son was on ultra-slow flow nipples until he weaned at about a year. He was also breastfed, so I wanted to avoid him having a bottle preference. A lot of mamas on this board have kept their babies on Level 1 nipples for quite awhile. You don't have to move up if you don't want to.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options
    I had to use special nipples for thick liquids since we thickened feeds since the NICU - now that we no longer thicken them I've found our special nipples are a little fast - I tried level 4 and they seem to work - we never used slow flow nipples except for when she was learning to bottle feed in the NICU
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Aiden is 4 months old...8 weeks adjusted. He is still on Dr. Brown's level 1. 

No plan of moving up anytime soon. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"