October 2011 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Since I've been up since 5am, I'll start this off....let's hear em, ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    I'm not into designer sunglasses.  They get scratched, break, trampled on, or lost.  I now have two pairs from The Loft ($20 each), so if something happens to them, I don't have a panic attack.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageAA0417:
    My OP: I feel odd having photos of myself on display in my house. It doesn't bother me if other people have pictures of themselves, or if other people have pictures of me (like my parents and grandparents). I just feel like I know what I look like and I don't miss myself because I see myself everyday, so why do I need a photo? I have a couple of photos that people gave us, as well as one of our engagement photos that we had framed and displayed at our wedding reception, but I pretty much have them all in our bedroom so they aren't on display for our guests. The only one not in our bedroom is one of MH and I with LO when we got home from the hospital. That one, to me, is a little different because LO changes a lot, so it makes more sense.

I have my grad photo up in our bedroom but otherwise nothing of just me.

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    People need to dress their own age. Certain clothes are just not appropriate after a certain age. Apparently this would not be an UO in my neighborhood, with the amount of 40-50 year old women I've seen wearing cutoff jean mini-skirts, shorts with writing on the butt, and camo hats with rhinestones. Every time the warm weather hits around here, I want to scream "Dress your age people!"
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I know mine is really unpopular on this board: I personally am not into professional pics of babies. I like looking at other people's and think that they turn out precious 95% of the time but NMS. I'm trying to get on the bandwagon and have J's done when he turns 1 just in case I have regrets down the road.

edited: this could also be a confession, sorry

• Options

imagecolleenb262:
    People need to dress their own age. Certain clothes are just not appropriate after a certain age. Apparently this would not be an UO in my neighborhood, with the amount of 40-50 year old women I've seen wearing cutoff jean mini-skirts, shorts with writing on the butt, and camo hats with rhinestones. Every time the warm weather hits around here, I want to scream "Dress your age people!"

This.

Also I'm not a fan of all the "bling" crap (hats, purses, flip flops). Not the individual items, per se, but when they all get worn at once.

I also don't think flip flops should be worn if you don't take care of your feet. No one wants to see your cracked skin and talons.  

photo
  • Options
    kagl08kagl08 member
    imageashleypembroke:

I know mine is really unpopular on this board: I personally am not into professional pics of babies. I like looking at other people's and think that they turn out precious 95% of the time but NMS. I'm trying to get on the bandwagon and have J's done when he turns 1 just in case I have regrets down the road.

We have done 1 set of professional pics for each child (at 3 weeks old). We did it for DD because we got a coupon. We did it for DS because I didn't want him feeling slighted. I sort of like those pictures, but it's doing to write home about. I take my own pictures. We bought a really nice camera and I've bought some backdrops so I can. I prefer my pics over anyone else's. Plus I can get my kids to smile, and they can't! My pics are genuine because my kids are happy to see me. My DD would not do well in a professional pic setting at this age. Major stranger anxiety going on (for over a year now).
  • Options
    I think huge 1st Birthday parties are a waste of $$.  inviting 50, 75 or 100+ people and spending tons of money for a few hours that the baby will never remember makes no sense to me.  most of those type of parties i consider "we survived the first year of parenting" parties and they're for the adults, which is fine....but don't make is seem like it's for the kid.  
    imageimage

• Options
    kagl08kagl08 member
    imagemrs.lizzieb:
    I'm not into designer sunglasses.  They get scratched, break, trampled on, or lost.  I now have two pairs from The Loft ($20 each), so if something happens to them, I don't have a panic attack.   
    I am not a fan of designer anything! I have never owned anything designer, unless you count the knockoffs from Chinatown.
  • Options
    I think people who claim to be the most open minded and accepting are also the ones who will attack you if your opinion or viewpoint is different from theirs.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    imageashleypembroke:

I'm the opposite. DH is a photographer (he does landscapes) but I want to hire a photographer for E. I feel like every time he takes her pics he misses the moment because he's to busy checking the results of his last pic and the settings on the camera. Embarrassed

Mine is I have no sympathy for overweight people who complain about their weight but then constantly eat Sonic Jalapeno Poppers and other fast food. Harsh, I know.

ETA: I guess this is really a confession.

• Options

Mine is wedding related...shocking, I know.

I don't like wedding favors.  It seems odd to me that I need something to "thank" my guests for coming to my wedding.  We are having a big party with food and drinks to thank everyone!  Plus IMO wedding favors are often useless ( why do I want a candle with your names on it) or overkill (homemade cookies are nice but we just ate cake.)

I realize some favors can be nice and if it's your wedding, more power to ya.  I just think they end up being a waste of money. 

• Options

imagechristiney06:
    I think huge 1st Birthday parties are a waste of $$.  inviting 50, 75 or 100+ people and spending tons of money for a few hours that the baby will never remember makes no sense to me.  most of those type of parties i consider "we survived the first year of parenting" parties and they're for the adults, which is fine....but don't make is seem like it's for the kid.  

Don't worry we do big parties for them even when they are 11!Stick out tongue

Yes, you could consider it a waste of money, but I could waste my money on a lot of useless things.  Celebrating my child does not feel like a waste to me.  I look back on all the parties and they are all so precious to us, as a family.  We do homemade birthdays and we put a lot of effort, time and money into them.  My kids start planning out their birthdays pretty much the day after their last party. 

This is one way we show our love to our children.

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    imageKrisM86:

I don't like wedding favors.  It seems odd to me that I need something to "thank" my guests for coming to my wedding.  We are having a big party with food and drinks to thank everyone!  Plus IMO wedding favors are often useless ( why do I want a candle with your names on it) or overkill (homemade cookies are nice but we just ate cake.)

I realize some favors can be nice and if it's your wedding, more power to ya.  I just think they end up being a waste of money. 

I told my dad we were doing favors at our wedding and he looked at me like I had three heads and said we don't need them.  Needless to say, he was very surprised when he saw them at the end.  We still have boxes full of them in my parents basement.  Why 600 brownies and monogrammed bottles of champagne were ordered for 300 people I will never know.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    imagepennysuedog:

imagechristiney06:

Yes, you could consider it a waste of money, but I could waste my money on a lot of useless things.  Celebrating my child does not feel like a waste to me.  I look back on all the parties and they are all so precious to us, as a family.  We do homemade birthdays and we put a lot of effort, time and money into them.  My kids start planning out their birthdays pretty much the day after their last party. 

Haven't we already had this debate 6 times and decided people can do what they want with their own time and money?

It was also decided that Penny is making Li a llama cake.

• Options
    imageLiz4444:
    imagepennysuedog:

imagechristiney06:

Haven't we already had this debate 6 times and decided people can do what they want with their own time and money?

I'm not jumping in on either side of this -- but OP was just expressing an unpopular opinion. I don't think she's saying other people can't do what they want with their money, that's just how she feels about the situation.

• Options
    imagenicki731:
    imageLiz4444:
    imagepennysuedog:

imagechristiney06:

I'm not jumping in on either side of this -- but OP was just expressing an unpopular opinion. I don't think she's saying other people can't do what they want with their money, that's just how she feels about the situation.

I am aware of what Christiney was doing.  That particular opinion has been expressed in numerous UO threads in the past few months.  We have had the numerous page disagreements about it and it's a topic that we have pretty much said, let's agree to disagree and not bring it up anymore.  So, for someone to bring it up pretty much means they want to start drama.

• Options
    imageLiz4444:
    imageKrisM86:

I told my dad we were doing favors at our wedding and he looked at me like I had three heads and said we don't need them.  Needless to say, he was very surprised when he saw them at the end.  We still have boxes full of them in my parents basement.  Why 600 brownies and monogrammed bottles of champagne were ordered for 300 people I will never know.

Does that go bad?  I do not know a lot about champagne, but what if you pulled it out for an anniversary party/get together and set them out to drink up?  

Just an idea....

• Options
    imageLiz4444:

I am aware of what Christiney was doing.  That particular opinion has been expressed in numerous UO threads in the past few months.  We have had the numerous page disagreements about it and it's a topic that we have pretty much said, let's agree to disagree and not bring it up anymore.  So, for someone to bring it up pretty much means they want to start drama.

sorry, no extra drama intended (but sorry, if you post in this thread that means you want drama in some way, shape or form)!!  i am not on here 24/7 and keeping a log of what other over done UO's are.  there's an easy solution to being annoyed about it....just ignore it!  

imageimage

• Options

imagekagl08:
    imagemrs.lizzieb:
    I am not a fan of designer anything! I have never owned anything designer, unless you count the knockoffs from Chinatown.

Knockoffs really bother me. I'm not saying everyone should have designer clothes, bags, etc. I feel like people who buy knockoffs are admitting they like the style and trying to trick everyone around them into believing they have something that they don't. I think it is tacky - again, not because it isn't designer, but because it is trying to be something it isn't. Just buy a $20 purse at Target and be done with it. You'll look more stylish and less cheap than carrying a fake.

• Options
    LCassLCass member
    I think that we as a society either need to be more critical of men or less critical of women.  I've noticed that people (especially other women) have much higher expectations of women than of men.  For example, my mom is much more critical of my brother's fiancee than she is of DH and of her own SILs than she is of her BILs.  And it's true of the mommy wars, too.  I think people are quick to judge mothers for their choices and the way they interact with their kids, but if the dad interacts with them at all they get high praise.

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• Options

I think everyone should try to get out of their comfort zones.  Do something outside of the box pretty regularly.  I really am an advocate of growing as a person.  For example-- I have gotten my two younger sisters to skydive with me.  My middle sister suffers from depression...part of my goal was to get her to land after facing death again and appreciate life more.  I was naive in thinking that, but got a bonding experience with the two of them...and one h$ll of an experience!!

Oh, I still have tons of insecurities and will confront them..I have a hard time with someone who doesn't.  A girl was freaked out about eating an olive...an olive...I just walked away.  

• Options
    imagechristiney06:
    imageLiz4444:

sorry, no extra drama intended (but sorry, if you post in this thread that means you want drama in some way, shape or form)!!  i am not on here 24/7 and keeping a log of what other over done UO's are.  there's an easy solution to being annoyed about it....just ignore it!  

Personally, I'm not annoyed, I'm just stating a fact.  Some people who I love on here do get upset with this topic, however.

Maybe you should start your log now.

• Options
    imagelissfriedrice:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageKrisM86:

Does that go bad?  I do not know a lot about champagne, but what if you pulled it out for an anniversary party/get together and set them out to drink up?  

Just an idea....

The champagne should still be good.  The brownies, however, I think won't be good anymore.  Which really sucks because they were the best brownies we've ever had!  My friends and my parents friends knew we had extras and they kept asking for more.  We must have given out at least 100 more, but we still have a ton.

• Options
    imageLiz4444:
    Personally, I'm not annoyed, I'm just stating a fact.  Some people who I love on here do get upset with this topic, however.

no, you're not stating a fact at all when you say that I did it to start drama.  sorry if any of your e-BFF's get upset over that topic.  it's the friggin' internet.   who cares what a stranger thinks about how you spend your cash?   I don't need a log b/c i don't care enough, but thanks! 

imageimage

• Options

imageSpicy15:
    My UO is that even though Ann Curry was not my favorite Today person to listen to, because she seemed to struggle sometimes. I feel bad for her, because it seems she's being kicked out the door so to speak. I wish her luck in her future endeavors.

I agree. I felt horrible watching her say goodbye. 

• Options
    imageFianschneid:

imagekagl08:
    imagemrs.lizzieb:

Knockoffs really bother me. I'm not saying everyone should have designer clothes, bags, etc. I feel like people who buy knockoffs are admitting they like the style and trying to trick everyone around them into believing they have something that they don't. I think it is tacky - again, not because it isn't designer, but because it is trying to be something it isn't. Just buy a $20 purse at Target and be done with it. You'll look more stylish and less cheap than carrying a fake.

Knock offs kill me.  If you can't afford the real thing, just go get a cute no name brand from wherever.  I won't even get into the whole stealing intellectual property and child labor issues.  Having worked in fashion it really kills me.  I also used to work 3 blocks from Canal St aka knockoff central, it was awful.

• Options
    imagechristiney06:
    imageLiz4444:

no, you're not stating a fact at all when you say that I did it to start drama.  sorry if any of your e-BFF's get upset over that topic.  it's the friggin' internet.   who cares what a stranger thinks about how you spend your cash?   I don't need a log b/c i don't care enough, but thanks! 

If you don't care enough  then why are your panties getting all twisted over what an e-stranger iis saying?

• Options
    Mine would be that I think you should have a license to breed cats or dogs. 

• Options

imagelkm2006:

And kids...

• Options
    imageLiz4444:

imagelkm2006:

And kids...

My popular opinion is that Liz is on fire today!

• Options
    imageashleypembroke:

I actually agree with this! But by 'professional pics of babies' I mean studio photos (with the exception of newborn photos - though I still prefer lifestyle over the posed newborn shots, but a good lifestyle newborn photographer is hard to come by in my area). Anyways - I think photos taken in scenic locations outdoors or in our own house are going to mean a lot more to me in the future, than one of my child sitting awkwardly in a chair with a white paper background and a fake smile. I still plan to hire a professional photographer every year to take family photos at the beach, in an orange grove, at our house, etc. But I will not be paying for the studio type photos if I can help it. It's just not my photography style/taste. I say this while have about 5 framed studio type photos of my nephew in my house that I do love though! So I am not 100% against them, they can be done well.

• Options
    imagejoolz17:
    imageLiz4444:

imagelkm2006:

And kids...

Ha!

• Options
    I'm reading 50 shades of grey for my bookclub.  I'm not finding anything "hot" or "sexy" about it.  I actually find it kind of sad and disturbing.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LCassLCass member
    imagejoolz17:
    imageLiz4444:

imagelkm2006:

And kids...

ITA with all three of these Yes

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• Options
    CA2006CA2006 member
    My UO is that I feel like UO Thursday has turned into PO Thursday.
  • Options
    I'm reading it because my BFF is obsessed. She swore, up and down, that my life would not be complete until I read this book. Im only maybe a quarter of the way through, and I don't think I can go on with it. I haven't even gotten to the really kinky stuff yet. I'm kind of a book snob, and this is so poorly written it's killing me. It feels like a 16 year old wrote it. ETA: quote fail. I meant to quote blu's UO about 50 shades.
  • Options
    imageUFCasey:
    imageashleypembroke:

I actually agree with this! But by 'professional pics of babies' I mean studio photos (with the exception of newborn photos - though I still prefer lifestyle over the posed newborn shots, but a good lifestyle newborn photographer is hard to come by in my area). Anyways - I think photos taken in scenic locations outdoors or in our own house are going to mean a lot more to me in the future, than one of my child sitting awkwardly in a chair with a white paper background and a fake smile. I still plan to hire a professional photographer every year to take family photos at the beach, in an orange grove, at our house, etc. But I will not be paying for the studio type photos if I can help it. It's just not my photography style/taste. I say this while have about 5 framed studio type photos of my nephew in my house that I do love though! So I am not 100% against them, they can be done well.

This!  My dad offered to buy us a package at Sears or JC Penny because I won't do it.  I really want to ask him to hold off until September so I can pitch in a few hundred on top of it and we can hire a good photographer.

• Options
    imageCMonkey515:
    I'm reading it because my BFF is obsessed. She swore, up and down, that my life would not be complete until I read this book. Im only maybe a quarter of the way through, and I don't think I can go on with it. I haven't even gotten to the really kinky stuff yet. I'm kind of a book snob, and this is so poorly written it's killing me. It feels like a 16 year old wrote it. ETA: quote fail. I meant to quote blu's UO about 50 shades.

A 16 year old boy. There's much more male fantasy involved than female.

But your description matches my experience with Twilight almost exactly. DH and my friend told me I'd better stop reading before I hurt someone.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Okay, so I replied before I got to the end of the thread, and then I got to the end of the thread.  THIS IS UO THURSDAY?

My UO: This is bullsh*t.

My UO: I've never met a libertarian who had an understanding of government or economics that surpassed about a 9th grade level.

• Options
    imageoverture:
    imageUFCasey:
    imageashleypembroke:

This!  My dad offered to buy us a package at Sears or JC Penny because I won't do it.  I really want to ask him to hold off until September so I can pitch in a few hundred on top of it and we can hire a good photographer.

Aww come on, don't hate on Sears. Yeah, most of the time the photographers have no idea what they're doing and I end up posing DD, but I have actually got some good pictures of her there. I'm debating on going with a local photographer that I go to church with to do her one-year photos but to get a cd of your session is $479. That's a lot of frickin money. I do agree that most of my favorite pictures are the ones I have taken of DD myself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"