Natural Birth
Options

how to find student doula * follow up to not including dad in L&D

Thank you for all of the responses to my previous post, it gave me a lot to think about. I'm pretty sure that between my mother and sister I will have enough support...but a student doula may not hurt either. Any suggestion on where to find one? Im in upstate NY. My internet searches keep giving me certified doulas, which I would totally hire if it was in the budget!

On a happy note I purchased a book about hypno-birthing and I really like it, the cd is very relaxing and its been getting me very in touch with my body (and baby!). FI will be in the L&D room, I told him that his job is to warm up the corn bag and rub my head... I think he can handle that ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: how to find student doula * follow up to not including dad in L&D

• Options
    CelynCelyn member
    Usually, I'd contact a local doula trainer (google for recent trainings in your area) and ask them if they have any students needing qualifying births.  A post recently came across a national forum from an upstate doula who is working on her certification though -- I don't know her, but it's a place to start (https://doulamatch.net/profile/4395/jenna-deuel)
  • Options

You are probably going to have to do some connecting with NB people in your area. Where do you live?

Some places you can try would be posting on your local Bump board. Check FB and Meetup.com to see if you have a NB group in your area that you can join. Also check out the Mothering.com forums. Go to a LLL meeting. Email the doula's in your area and tell them your situation and see if they know a student doula. Ask your provider. Ask your FB friends. You never know who might be able to help and they can be in the least likely places. Email DONA and CAPPA (professional doula associations). Check out ICAN (International Cesarean Awarness Network) for local meetings.

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you can find doula trainers on DONAs webiste. Also, try the doula boards on mothering.com. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I e-mailed a doula program in the area and asked if there were any student doulas available. Typically student doulas need to attend a certain number of births to get certified. I found one right away. It's actually a midwifery school with a doula program, so look up both and if you can't find something about student doulas on the site, e-mail the program. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"