TTC after 35
Options

Intro and Question

HI Ladies,

I am 37 (38 is RAPIDLY approaching).  DH and I have been TTC #3 since March 2011.  I've had 3 miscarriages and was cleared in May to start TTC again. 

So here is the question part.

I've always been pretty darn normal and had perfectly clockwork cycles after my last miscarriage and before I got the OK.  I am supposed to start prog suppositories after I ovulate.  So first cycle TTC I'm really not sure I ovulated but started the suppositories on day 15 because I wasn't sure.  I used OPK and saw them getting lighter but never getting darker so I assumed I already ovulated-hopefully.  BFN that cycle so I stopped the suppositories and CD1 showed up a few days later.

~slight TMI ahead~

So in this cycle I'm on CD 19 and have been using OPKs for 2 weeks and I do not have a stitch of LH in my body at all apparently.  I am also having just the slightest bit of spotting since around CD10.  I've never had this before when I wasn't on hormones of some nature.

Do you think it could be from the progesterone last month?  

When would you call your dr?  I see an RE for RPL so I plan to call him.

Thanks for any advice or experiences you can share!

Re: Intro and Question

• Options

I'm so sorry for your losses.

If you start progesterone too early you won't ovulate, so it's best to be sure you actually have.  How many times a day do you use the OPKs? Some people have a short surge and only catch it if they test 2x/day. You could also try temping to help confirm ovulation.

I think it's worth it to call your RE and tell them what's going on and see what suggestions they have.  That's why they're there. 

Welcome to the group! 

Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • Options

I've always found temping to be more conclusive of ovulation than the opk's. I really don't ever get a really clear positive, I think probably because I tend to drink alot of water.

I used progesterone for 3 months in a row after doing iui's and this month have not and I spotted for over a week starting around cd 14, so who really knows if that was from the progesterone or from the fsh injections we used.I'd check with your Dr. just in case.

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am on progesterone too. My doctor told me not to stop it until my period comes. If it doesn't come he wants a neg blood test (not hpt) before I stop. I agree with the others on charting - opks are just not reliable for some people. GL.
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
  • Options

Hi and welcome to the board!

I agree with what other posters have said - OPK's are not reliable for some.  I tried using them for a few months before getting the CBEFM.  Either I was terrible at reading the OPK's or they just weren't accurate for me - I never got pregnant using them, and was never 100% sure when they were positive.  But the CBEFM accurately told me when I was ovulating (I conceived both pregnancies with 1-2 months of using the monitor).   I would suggest giving it a try if you can afford one.  It's $150 plus the sticks, which are kind of pricey too, but if you think about how much fertility treatments can cost, it's not that much.  If your only problem is timing, you will probably be pregnant in no time when you use it. Good luck!

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Options
    Don't have any progesterone experiences so can't be of much help there but welcome to the board!
    Me 39 & suspected PCOS, DH 42. Went off BCP when we got married in 11/11, seriously TTC since 3/12.  Six cycles of clomid = BFNs.  Suspected endometriosis & HSG showed both tubes blocked.  Sept 2013 IVF 5D transfer of two perfect embryos = BFN.  Started acupuncture and taking time off to drop some pounds & get healthier before FET in April 2014.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"