Natural Birth

anyone deliver naturally before 36weeks?

I am hoping and praying that baby girl stays put for 2 more weeks, but it's entirely possible I will have her before then.  I was put on hospital bedrest last week after I started leaking.  Fluid levels are still very high (17cm yesterday) and she is measuring a week ahead.  I am home on bedrest now but will have to go back to the hospital if I have further leaking or develop an infection.

Just wondering if anyone delivered early and if you ran into any challenges pursuing a med-free birth?   

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d

Re: anyone deliver naturally before 36weeks?

• My friend had a great med-free birth with her 3rd at 33 weeks - her little girl actually did great and was only in the NICU for like a week after that and was over 5lbs when she got to take her home. 

Are you united with the CCOKCs?

• My water broke at 35w5d and DD was born via HBAC at 35w6d. The natural birth went fine but I'm sure that also was in part because I was at home with MW care. We did chose to transport DD to the hospital just to be cautious and she was admitted for 1.5 days. She was a big 6 lbs 6 oz. 

FWIW, I work in the NICU so I am quite familiar with preemies. By 34 weeks they are coordinated enough to start the process of breast or bottle feeds but usually need a feeding tube for at least part of their feeds. They also likely might need an isolette to help maintain their temperature.  She might need a little help with breathing, it just depends. Babies at 34 weeks typically do quite well. Try not to worry as much as possible, it will definitely be better if LO stays in another few weeks but she likely would do well if needed to be born sooner than later. I hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Loading the player...
  • I've also heard this happens with a good success rate depending on your body! Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Preemies benefit the most from delayed cord clamping. You may want to bring that up with your team. Smile

So glad you got to go home - I hope your baby stays put for a while longer.

• imagetokenhoser:

Preemies benefit the most from delayed cord clamping. You may want to bring that up with your team. Smile

So glad you got to go home - I hope your baby stays put for a while longer.

thanks!  I need to write out my birth plan and go over it with my doctor next week.  We'd talked in general about some stuff 2 weeks ago but now things are a bit different!   

• erb82erb82 member
    My mom delivered my sister naturally at 35 weeks.  She was 6lbs 6oz and perfectly healthy, didn't even have to stay in NICU.  Good luck, hope your baby stays put until 37 weeks at least!
  • rels09rels09 member

Hi again Pugz. As you know from Aug. 12, I am in largely the same boat, with broken water and waiting to be induced at 34 weeks. You probably didn't know that I was also planning a natural birth. I am definitely grieving a bit over the loss of the opportunity to have the birth I planned for. My concerns about going med free at 34 weeks are the following: 

1. I will be induced, which makes things harder for most people.

2. I don't know if they will want to monitor LO more closely during labor since she is younger, so I am wondering if I will be more tied to the bed.

3. The chances of a difficult placenta delivery are much higher with pre-term births, and a med-free manual placenta extraction is one of my worst fears.

For the moment, I am leaning towards laboring naturally as long as I can, but getting the epi eventually and then having it turned way down during pushing. I would love to still go natural, but I am skeptical that I can because of those 3 factors. Would be happy to discuss more and definitely want to hear how it goes for you. 

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imagerels09:

Hi again Pugz. As you know from Aug. 12, I am in largely the same boat, with broken water and waiting to be induced at 34 weeks. You probably didn't know that I was also planning a natural birth. I am definitely grieving a bit over the loss of the opportunity to have the birth I planned for. My concerns about going med free at 34 weeks are the following: 

2. I don't know if they will want to monitor LO more closely during labor since she is younger, so I am wondering if I will be more tied to the bed.

3. The chances of a difficult placenta delivery are much higher with pre-term births, and a med-free manual placenta extraction is one of my worst fears.

For the moment, I am leaning towards laboring naturally as long as I can, but getting the epi eventually and then having it turned way down during pushing. I would love to still go natural, but I am skeptical that I can because of those 3 factors. Would be happy to discuss more and definitely want to hear how it goes for you. 

I hope you are doing okay!  Probably rockin' out the sexy ted hose like me :)  

I have an appt with my doctor next Tuesday and want to go over some more details with him.  I have adjusted my expectations and like you am not ruling out an epi since there are so many unknowns and possible limitations on my ability to move around.  

I was emailing with my SIL last night. She has been induced with all 4 of hers and was on continuous pitocin & continuous fetal monitoring.  She still managed to have 4 med free births!. She moved around as much as she was able, stayed out of bed, and the nurses just came and adjusted the monitors as much as needed.   

hopefully as long as your baby's heart rate is in the safe zone you will be allowed lots of freedom! 

• rels09rels09 member
    imagepugznploons:
    imagerels09:

I hope you are doing okay!  Probably rockin' out the sexy ted hose like me :)  

I have an appt with my doctor next Tuesday and want to go over some more details with him.  I have adjusted my expectations and like you am not ruling out an epi since there are so many unknowns and possible limitations on my ability to move around.  

I was emailing with my SIL last night. She has been induced with all 4 of hers and was on continuous pitocin & continuous fetal monitoring.  She still managed to have 4 med free births!. She moved around as much as she was able, stayed out of bed, and the nurses just came and adjusted the monitors as much as needed.   

hopefully as long as your baby's heart rate is in the safe zone you will be allowed lots of freedom! 

That is reassuring. One of the things we are trying to do right now is nail down an OB to work with us - since I was a transfer from the birth center, we have been assigned to the attending here so far. But I know the midwives do have a collaborating physician here, and I would like to use him if I can since I know he will be as natural-friendly as one can be in this circumstance. I have monitoring twice a day, and so far, LO has been an absolute rock star on the monitor, so let's hope she keeps that up in labor.

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"