Preemies
Options

Breastfeeding vs. pumping

I need some opinions.. Cross posted to breastfeeding

The six weeks that Cora was in the NICU I was pumping every three hours and therefore, have quite a good frozen supply now. Once she was able to nipple her feeds, I always breast fed her and we'd weigh her and she did good the whole time (40-60 cc's usually). When she was discharged two weeks ago her doctor wanted her to have one bottle of breastmilk + vitamins a day, but I could otherwise just breast feed. So I have been and it's been going okay, but we started having problems gradually. Also, I've been using a nipple shield this whole time. She's started acting like she's not getting all that she wants at a time. She starts acting frantic and latching and unlatching over and over.  After awhile she stops and the we do it all again an hour or so later. This seemed worse at night.

I started thinking that it was the nipple shield now doing more harm than good so I tried to go without yesterday. She did okay for some of the time, but then the crazy latch and unlatch also some of the time. In the middle of the night last night after this had been going on for an hour I broke down and gave her a bottle of thawed milk. That made her happy so I have been experimenting today and giving her breast milk bottles and pumping. She's been drinking them with no problem and has been going longer between feelings (3-4 hours instead of 1.5-3).

I have felt so lucky to be able to breast feed her so it would make me sad to stop. I am also pumping less than I used to, but do have 400+ oz in my freezer to fall back on. I don't want to breast feed just for my sake.

So opinions! Pumping and bottle feeding or keep trying with/without the nipple shield? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding vs. pumping

• Options
    Thank you! =) I think I'm going to put her back on the boob tonight and just see how it goes... I hate the pump and don't want to be attached to it all over again!
  • Options

imagemeganab3:
    Thank you! =) I think I'm going to put her back on the boob tonight and just see how it goes... I hate the pump and don't want to be attached to it all over again!

I think you should contact a lactation consultant.  They might be able to try some new holds and tricks with her that will help.  If you can avoid, EPing, you should.  I EPed for 8 months and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

She may be going through a growth spurt and breastfeeding more frequently to bump up your supply. There were some days I felt like nursing was ALL I did. I just watched seasons of Lost on Netflix and put my feet up. Visit a lactation consultant or a La Leche League meeting. Good luck!!

• Options
    kck329kck329 member
    imagekitkat145:

She may be going through a growth spurt and breastfeeding more frequently to bump up your supply. There were some days I felt like nursing was ALL I did. I just watched seasons of Lost on Netflix and put my feet up. Visit a lactation consultant or a La Leche League meeting. Good luck!!

This is what I was thinking too. My DD (also Cora!) was a crazy BFer when she was going through a growth spurt but after a few days it died down again. 

In terms of BFing v EPing, as someone who did both (long long story), the BFing is a lot easier once you get the hang of it. Once you are both good at the BFing you will be able to feed her anywhere, anytime and that's really nice. She will likely get faster as she gets bigger too. EPing is totally possible and if that's what you choose, we can help you navigate that as well but I think you should start with an LC and see where you get with BFing first. 

• Options
    imagekck329:
    imagekitkat145:

This is what I was thinking too. My DD (also Cora!) was a crazy BFer when she was going through a growth spurt but after a few days it died down again. 

In terms of BFing v EPing, as someone who did both (long long story), the BFing is a lot easier once you get the hang of it. Once you are both good at the BFing you will be able to feed her anywhere, anytime and that's really nice. She will likely get faster as she gets bigger too. EPing is totally possible and if that's what you choose, we can help you navigate that as well but I think you should start with an LC and see where you get with BFing first. 

Totally agree with these lovely ladies. The other thing to consider is whether it's a forceful let down. If she unlatches about 2-3 minute in, it might be your let down. Over time the shorter feeds will also affect your supply, you'll also get less milk with a pumping session than nursing, so decreased pumping output does not necessarily mean you have less milk. 

I love Kellymom for all things momma milk related:

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options

Thank you all so much... I'm so glad I asked this here and didn't just try to stop breastfeeding out of frustration. Last night seemed a little better, I didn't use the nipple shield at all and had her in the football hold which I'd never tried before. I also started watching Mad Men on Netflix and made it through season one! It helps to have a distraction. I didn't know Lost was watch instant, it's going on the queue!

I think I do have a forceful letdown on the left side and having her in the football hold helped... She didn't choke or drool a bunch out like usual.

• Options
    imagemeganab3:

Thank you all so much... I'm so glad I asked this here and didn't just try to stop breastfeeding out of frustration. Last night seemed a little better, I didn't use the nipple shield at all and had her in the football hold which I'd never tried before. I also started watching Mad Men on Netflix and made it through season one! It helps to have a distraction. I didn't know Lost was watch instant, it's going on the queue!

I think I do have a forceful letdown on the left side and having her in the football hold helped... She didn't choke or drool a bunch out like usual.

Football hold is awesome!! My daughter is one year and I am nursing her in football hold right now! We were on the shield for the first 4 months so the sooner you can be free of it, the better. That thing complicated breastfeeding so much--it's been easy peasy ever since!

• Options

My son has only latched on 3 times since coming home from the NICU on 3/30/12. 

I am EP. It has been 4 months now. It is rough but it is worth it because I am still providing for him.

Just remember that your baby is still getting your milk which is the best thing for her! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"