Two Under 2

? for 2 under 2 mommies...

So when you take both kiddos with you, I know this may soun like an obvious ? but which child do you take out or put into the car first? The older or the younger one?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ? for 2 under 2 mommies...

• When DD was in the bucket seat, I would carry the seat while I held my DS's hand. I'd put her in the car, then go buckle my oldest in. To get them out I'd get the infant seat out first (since it was behind the driver's side) go get my son, then carry the seat in the house while I held DS's hand.

Now that they're older, I carry DD down the stairs while DS walks himself. I put her in the seat then buckle in my oldest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was taking the bucket in/out of the car, I set the bucket on the ground at my feet and buckled my toddler in first. Getting out, I took the bucket out, set it at my feet and got the toddler out.

Now that DD1 is a little older and better follows directions, I've stopped taking the bucket out. Now I buckle DD2 in first, while DD1 stands next to me, then buckle DD1 in. Getting out it's DD1 first, DD2 second.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It was definitely easier when DS was still in his infant car seat.  The challenge is now that they are both out and running around!  One thing that has worked recently is a magnet with a handprint on it (called a "safespot").  My DD will put her hand on the safespot while I'm buckling DS or if I need to change a diaper, etc.  Works really well!
  • DD1 is always the first to get in the car and the last to come out - I don't want to risk her running off while I'm getting her sister strapped in!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The older one.  He climbs into his chair, I go around and put the baby in, then come back around and buckle in the older one.  I can't have the older one loose and running around the parking lot while I put the baby in.
  • I presently have 2, but only one is under two.  Right now I open the door for DS (5yrs) who is on the drivers side, and then walk around to the other side to buckle in DD (19mo) in her seat in the middle, then I come back around and check that DS has buckled himself in correctly.  

I've debated the logistics of where to put each of the seats and how to get them all into the car for months and this is what I've come up with: When number 3 comes I will buckle DD (rear facing middle seat) in first from the drivers side, then get DS in and help with his buckles (forward facing on drivers side), and then I will put in LO#3 (obviously rear facing on passenger side).  

I keep thinking that it's a good thing we live in Southern Ca, because trying to do all this on a rainy day is going to be comically awful I'm sure.   

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • kagl08kagl08 member
    imagememali26:

When I was taking the bucket in/out of the car, I set the bucket on the ground at my feet and buckled my toddler in first. Getting out, I took the bucket out, set it at my feet and got the toddler out.

Now that DD1 is a little older and better follows directions, I've stopped taking the bucket out. Now I buckle DD2 in first, while DD1 stands next to me, then buckle DD1 in. Getting out it's DD1 first, DD2 second.

This exactly!!
  • I put them both in on the same side.  I have the older one climb in first and he goes to his seat.  I buckle the baby in, then go around and buckle him in.  I don't know if a lot of people do it that way, but I found it to be the easiest way.  I tried it many ways before I figured this way out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I usually take out the bags first (diaper bag, purse), then take out both kids at the same time. DD stands nicely by the car, while I buckle in DS.

If I do take one out, I take out DS first, since DD is able to listen better and I trust her more (only because she is older and understands better). So when I come back for DD, and I say "okay, let's go!" she comes to the door. DS would've giggled and ran the other way, making me take my shoes off to chase him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • When my youngest was in the infant carrier I would take her out and strap her to the snap n go and then get my older daughter out.  Now that both kids are walking (3 and a half and almost 20 months) I get the older one out first because she will wait and hold on to my leg until I get my younger one out.  My younger daughter is wild and never stays still.  I don't think I went anywhere by myself (of course it was winter when my youngest daughter was born) for about 3 or 4 months - before then someone always went with me or I only took one kid or went somewhere by myself.  I will be honest and say the first 7 months after my youngest was born (my kids are 21 months apart) was and still is a blur...thank goodness someone was taking some pictures!

mom to Nathaniel Martin born still on June 22, 2007 at 22 weeks and an angel baby who was miscarried at 7.4 weeks on January 15, 2008. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • laura1laura1 member

imagemrsseguin:
    I put them both in on the same side.  I have the older one climb in first and he goes to his seat.  I buckle the baby in, then go around and buckle him in.  I don't know if a lot of people do it that way, but I found it to be the easiest way.  I tried it many ways before I figured this way out.

This - although when DD was still in her infant seat, I would put her on the ground while I buckled DS in first.  If it was rainy or snowy, I would carry them both - DD in her carrier, DS on my hip, hoist the infant seat in and snap it in with one hand, then go around and buckle DS in.  I looked at it as if I was doing some weight training at the gym!  And actually my arm muscles never looked as good as when I was carting around my 2u2. 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I either open my son's door and have him climb in first and then go around, buckle the baby, and come back and buckle him. Alternatively (either busy parking lot, rainy day etc) I will have him "go under" the baby's seat and crawl across so they're both going in the same side at the same time. I never was one to take the infant seat in and out so I can't buckle my son first because I'm holding the baby. 

When we're getting out at a destination it depends on where we are. In parking lots I get the baby first and then the toddler but at someone's house or a small playground where we are right next to the playground I will let my son out to go ahead while I get the baby. I always let my son out first at home. He's behind the driver's side so it's easy enough to open his door and unbuckle him before getting the baby.

• toddler in first, out last when we go somewhere. I wear the baby and the grab the toddler out to hold my hand. When we come home I take the toddler out first and then get the baby and let the toddler walk himself in the house.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mrs.VMrs.V member
    When DS2 was still in a bucket seat, I'd put DS1 in the car first bc DS2 couldn't move. Now that they're both toddlers, I put DS2 in the car first bc he does not understand danger and would stray/run while I put in DS1. DS1 knows he MUST stay next to me while I put DS2 in his seat. So basically, I put the one who is more likely to stray in the car first (whoever that was at each stage).
  • I put my younger son in last, and take him out first since he's still in the bucket seat. He'll be out of it soon, though, so I may have to reconfigure things when a stroller isn't involved.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hold Maddie's hand and let her walk out to the van with me while I have Liam in the car seat. I put Liam in, and then take Maddie around to the other side to put her in.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"